• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can we pick up a Scallop Shell in Lisbon

David T

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2014)

Camino Portuguese (May 2016)
Starting our Camino mid May 2016.
Where can we pick up a Scallop Shell in Lisbon?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't know about a designated pick-up-your-shell place in lisboa -
received mine in May 2014 courtesy of a friend of my local hosts - who's ex-husband was a fisherman and had those a-plenty.
that gives a good illustration about the kindness and helpfulness of portuguese people.
you'll find one - just ask around and about and it just might manifest.
perhaps even a local farmers market has fish mongers / vendors ... and voila' - there's your shell!
bom caminho!

another option might be to look on this forum - perhaps shells are being sold now? via Ivar in SdC?

best wishes, C

Try an eBay search "camino scallop shell" and you find many choices...but don't leave home without a Pilgrim Credential (http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/credential_req_external.html)...and I would not leave home without a scallop shell or Pilgrim Credential...also I lost my first scallop shell in the hills before Astorga and I bought a new scallop shell in Santiago with my name painted on it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Since Lisbon is not a city with all sorts of camino souvenir shops like SJPP or Pamplona, I don't think you're likely to find them for sale. If you have a sentimental reason for wanting to get your shell in your starting place, I would suggest you write to ViaLusitana (they have a web page, with contact info, and they speak excellent English) and ask if they have any ideas. Bom Caminho, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just love Don's pithy and low key approach.

I usually my shells at the first place I go to "start" my credential. Typically, this will be the local Cathedral. On the Camino Frances, the 'best" place is the local Pilgrim Office. These shells are locally sourced and do NOT have the ubiquitous Cross of Santiago on them. As you walk the Camino, you can spot those pilgrims who picked up their shells in a tourist shop by the stenciled crosses and red strings. Yes, I know it is meaningless. But knowledge is just that, information.

When I walked from Porto last year, the Cathedral tienda did not have shells, so I waited a day or two, walking along the coast. I passed a man's home. He was selling plain scallop shells from his front door. PERFECT.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Most definitely we will carry our Pilgrim Credential for Portugal as for a Scallop Shells we will look around or just bring one from our 1st Camino.

When I arrived in Lisbon for my 2014 Camino I realised that I didn't have my original (CF) scallop shell with me because I had loaned my backpack to a friend and had removed the shell so that it didn't get damaged, and then forgot to tie it back on. I wanted to start my Camino Portuguese with a shell and was very pleased to come across a guy selling small tiles - handmade resin replicas of the various styles of Lisbon street paving. He just happened to have a small fridge magnet tile depicting a scallop shell. He prised off the magnet and applied some double sided tape and I attached it to my bumbag, fully expecting it to drop off within a couple of days.

Well, it stayed well and truly stuck in place and remains there after completing the CP, the Camino Mozárabe from Malaga and countless long distance walks in between, and I am really very fond of it.

image.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I usually my shells at the first place I go to "start" my credential. Typically, this will be the local Cathedral. On the Camino Frances, the 'best" place is the local Pilgrim Office. These shells are locally sourced and do NOT have the ubiquitous Cross of Santiago on them. As you walk the Camino, you can spot those pilgrims who picked up their shells in a tourist shop by the stenciled crosses and red strings. Yes, I know it is meaningless. But knowledge is just that, information.
ef
When I walked from Porto last year, the Cathedral tienda did not have shells, so I waited a day or two, walking along the coast. I passed a man's home. He was selling plain scallop shells from his front door. PERFECT.
I had purchased mine through Ivar before I left Canada. It was here within a week. They also have them at the Pilgrim Office in St Jean.

To my newest Florida neighbor,
One man's pithy is another man's long story;).
BTW, I got a photo from a friend in Biarritz on 16 January showing snow on top of La Rhune and the weather bureau was reporting the freeze line is as low as 1300m; so the rumors they are enjoying spring like weather over there is not exactly true.

[QUOTE="t2andreo, post: 369795, member: 25553"

These shells are locally sourced and do NOT have the ubiquitous Cross of Santiago on them. As you walk the Camino, you can spot those pilgrims who picked up their shells in a tourist shop by the stenciled crosses and red strings. Yes, I know it is meaningless. .[/QUOTE]
NO, NO, NO.........Our shells have stenciled crosses and, a now, very faded red string and we bought them when we registered at the office in Roncesvalkes, back in 2007.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
[QUOTE="t2andreo, post: 369795, member: 25553"

These shells are locally sourced and do NOT have the ubiquitous Cross of Santiago on them. As you walk the Camino, you can spot those pilgrims who picked up their shells in a tourist shop by the stenciled crosses and red strings. Yes, I know it is meaningless. .
NO, NO, NO.........Our shells have stenciled crosses and, a now, very faded red string and we bought them when we registered at the office in Roncesvalkes, back in 2007.[/QUOTE]

It really does not matter. Having a shell is a tradition. Back in the day, it served as a practical tool for eating and drinking from common vessels as well as identifying pilgrims. Nowadays, once past the emotional value, the pilgrim credential is the "evidence" that you are actually a pilgrim, and not a vagabond (I use the best term in the easiest sense possible) living along the Camino.

If truth be told, I actually have an available shell hanging in my closet that has the ubiquitous red string and stenciled cross of St. James. I no longer remember when or where I purchased it. But as I now tend not to waste things after my Camino experiences, I will likely start my Camino Madrid with this scallop shell.

I never intended to start a fire storm. I regret any adverse perception. Mea culpa, meas maxima culpa.

What date do you start from Lisbon? I am heading off on Thurs 12 May. I will be carrying a shell picked up on an Australian beach and it has lasted the Frances and Via de la Plata. Will dust it off again soon...

Stripey Socks..... aah we will miss you by a few days as we will be starting our Camino May 23.

To my newest Florida neighbor,
One man's pithy is another man's long story;).
BTW, I got a photo from a friend in Biarritz on 16 January showing snow on top of La Rhune and the weather bureau was reporting the freeze line is as low as 1300m; so the rumors they are enjoying spring like weather over there is not exactly true.

Since moving from Northern Virginia to Southern Florida this October, I learned a new "ism." It seems appropriate to trot it out in reaction to your story about your friend in Biarritz sending you a photo showing snow atop La Rhune.

"You Can't Shovel Sunshine..."

Be well my friend.

Last edited:
NO, NO, NO.........Our shells have stenciled crosses and, a now, very faded red string and we bought them when we registered at the office in Roncesvalkes, back in 2007.

It really does not matter. Having a shell is a tradition. Back in the day, it served as a practical tool for eating and drinking from common vessels as well as identifying pilgrims. Nowadays, once past the emotional value, the pilgrim credential is the "evidence" that you are actually a pilgrim, and not a vagabond (I use the best term in the easiest sense possible) living along the Camino.

If truth be told, I actually have an available shell hanging in my closet that has the ubiquitous red string and stenciled cross of St. James. I no longer remember when or where I purchased it. But as I now tend not to waste things after my Camino experiences, I will likely start my Camino Madrid with this scallop shell.

I never intended to start a fire storm. I regret any adverse perception. Mea culpa, meas maxima culpa.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this last year (2015), I forgot the shell at home, so walked without!

The friend i walked with last year forgot to take her scallop shell and looked in each town we stayed in to buy one. She finally found one in Rates. Just up the hill from the Albergue is a little shop on your right and they had shells for sale.

Buen Camino Judy.

I'm in a bit of a 'bad omen' mood, so am turning to you lot to get me out of it.

I arrived today in Lisbon (back story here... This is the 3rd and final month of my sabbatical, each month on a different continent and because I have flown from Kenya to Denmark and now to Portugal, I'm doing a mental and physical prep by spending two nights in Lisbon, then driving to Ericera for a night, then Fatima for a night to do the candlelight pilgrimage, then driving to Porto to spend two nights before starting to walk on 4th), and I have used an agency to do all of the hotel/guesthouse bookings, along with the luggage transfer thing. Yes, I know it's a bit 'cheating' to some people, but it's February, this is my first Camino, I'm doing it alone, and I've spent the last two months living out of a suitcase in a different bed every 2-3 nights. So, while I know to 'expect the unexpected', I was really upset to arrive to my hotel this morning in Lisbon and find that my pilgrim's pack, containing guide book, pilgrim passport, shell, walking notes, etc had not arrived. I specifically wanted it upon my arrival here so that I could read through it all and study it, and I don't know why, but I really wanted the shell. I have specific reasons I'm here in Lisbon and also visiting the other two towns, so I'm fairly rattled that the pack did not arrive. I've had an exchange of mails with the agency, who is just telling me 'don't worry about it, trail is marked well, you have your hotel vouchers, just go pick up another passport at the tourist office and we'll refund that to you' (sorry Ivar, i only found the forum after I booked the trip!), but I'm upset. I needed the passport and shell in my hands tonight to make this real.

So, my question is, how important really is it to have the shell on your bag? I know that historically it was used as a utensil and now it's more tradition than function, but how 'connected' do you feel having it? My home in Kenya is in Maasai land where the beads we wear identify us and probably I'm feeling some of this. I'm really trying hard to shake off the 'this has not started well' feeling not having this pack of info delivered on time as well.

Sorry for the novella here, I'm in desperate need of a bit of reassurance...

Take a few nice deep, slow breaths Pilgrim.

Now, as @biarritzdon among others suggests above you can pick up a scallop shell in all sorts of places but a seafood type restaurant is a good bet for a nice clean shell. You might find one at Fatima but probably not, you may find one in a bar or Albergue as you make your way along the Camino. You could try contacting http://www.vialusitana.org/. But, and big but, its not the shell that makes the Pilgrim it is the pilgrim that makes the Pilgrim. When you start walking you will be following in the footsteps of thousands and laying a trail for thousands to come. It is the journey that matters not the symbols.

Bom Caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take a few nice deep, slow breaths Pilgrim.

Now, as @biarritzdon among others suggests above you can pick up a scallop shell in all sorts of places but a seafood type restaurant is a good bet for a nice clean shell. You might find one at Fatima but probably not, you may find one in a bar or Albergue as you make your way along the Camino. You could try contacting http://www.vialusitana.org/. But, and big but, its not the shell that makes the Pilgrim it is the pilgrim that makes the Pilgrim. When you start walking you will be following in the footsteps of thousands and laying a trail for thousands to come. It is the journey that matters not the symbols.

Bom Caminho

Thank you so much. I went down to the Cathedral and bought a passport, and the very kind man asked if it was my first Camino, and had such a gentle smile when I said yes. Somehow when I was filling out the register, I became really calm and realised that yes, this is about the journey. I'm disappointed not to have it, but apparently the company sent another one to the albergue in Tui, so I'll get it at the halfway point. If I see one somewhere, perhaps in Ericeira on the coast, I'll pick one up, but now I have the passport, and that's the important one.

They are very nice at the Cathedral. So now you have a Credencial issued by Via Lusitana. If you want you can call them, (+351) 915 595 213 if you need something. As for the shell, it will be hard to find one in Lisboa or Coimbra or even Porto. My advice: go to a shopping mall, find the supermarket, head to the frozen food section, they usually have scallops to eat, buy one, wait till it unfreeze and voila, you have a shell :)
Bom Caminho

Thank you so much. I went down to the Cathedral and bought a passport, and the very kind man asked if it was my first Camino, and had such a gentle smile when I said yes. Somehow when I was filling out the register, I became really calm and realised that yes, this is about the journey. I'm disappointed not to have it, but apparently the company sent another one to the albergue in Tui, so I'll get it at the halfway point. If I see one somewhere, perhaps in Ericeira on the coast, I'll pick one up, but now I have the passport, and that's the important one.

Hi, CykaUJ,
So glad to see that you have been able to put all that anxiety away. I think all of us have some anxiety whenever we start a new camino, but just actually starting to take the steps helps it all to fall away. In your case, getting the credential at the cathedral seems to have been your "first steps". Hope you can now enjoy the next few days before you start to walk.

As far as the shell goes, I can only say that I have been walking caminos since the year 2000, so I'm coming up on #16 I think, and I have never had a scallop shell on my pack. When I started walking, no one used them, so it has never mattered to me or been a part of my camino rituals. I know some people like it, but you certainly shouldn't feel that it makes you less of a pilgrim or that its absence is somehow going to have an impact on your camino.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about Ericeira -- I know there is a lot of paragliding there, maybe surfing too. Are you partaking of those daring activities or just relaxing before hitting the trail?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, CykaUJ,
So glad to see that you have been able to put all that anxiety away. I think all of us have some anxiety whenever we start a new camino, but just actually starting to take the steps helps it all to fall away. In your case, getting the credential at the cathedral seems to have been your "first steps". Hope you can now enjoy the next few days before you start to walk.

As far as the shell goes, I can only say that I have been walking caminos since the year 2000, so I'm coming up on #16 I think, and I have never had a scallop shell on my pack. When I started walking, no one used them, so it has never mattered to me or been a part of my camino rituals. I know some people like it, but you certainly shouldn't feel that it makes you less of a pilgrim or that its absence is somehow going to have an impact on your camino.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about Ericeira -- I know there is a lot of paragliding there, maybe surfing too. Are you partaking of those daring activities or just relaxing before hitting the trail?

Thank you for reaffirming that it's not necessary to have the shell for the camino to be 'real'(and WOW...big respect on how many you've done!), I think I put a lot into symbolism sometimes, more than is necessary really. What you say about 'first steps' really rings true, I was much more relaxed having the credencial in my hands. I'm definitely more chill now, and enjoying Lisbon.

I have been to Ericeira once before, about 15 years ago, and loved it. I won't be doing any paragliding (probably), it's just somewhere I want to revisit, the sunset is beautiful and extremely fresh fish. I was talking with the hotel manager in Lisbon who says it's become very popular in the last 10 years though, lots of wealthy Lisbonites have built houses there. I shall report back though and put pics up on my blog. :)

They are very nice at the Cathedral. So now you have a Credencial issued by Via Lusitana. If you want you can call them, (+351) 915 595 213 if you need something. As for the shell, it will be hard to find one in Lisboa or Coimbra or even Porto. My advice: go to a shopping mall, find the supermarket, head to the frozen food section, they usually have scallops to eat, buy one, wait till it unfreeze and voila, you have a shell :)
Bom Caminho

That's a great idea!

Is having it issued by Via Lusitana different than the one I would have received in the packet from the agency?

Hi, CykaUJ, well, I hope you will post a link to your blog.

I was in Ericeira about six years ago, and my guess is that you will see a huge difference in terms of coastal apartment complexes. There is still a little core old remnant of the fishing village it once was. I remember a very good pastry shop in the main square (though that's not hard to find in Portugal) and probably the weirdest street music I had ever seen -- a group of Latin Americans playing Peruvian pan pipes, dressed in what looked like Sioux Indian headdresses and outfits, singing Guantanamera. Let me know if they're still there. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, CykaUJ, well, I hope you will post a link to your blog.

I was in Ericeira about six years ago, and my guess is that you will see a huge difference in terms of coastal apartment complexes. There is still a little core old remnant of the fishing village it once was. I remember a very good pastry shop in the main square (though that's not hard to find in Portugal) and probably the weirdest street music I had ever seen -- a group of Latin Americans playing Peruvian pan pipes, dressed in what looked like Sioux Indian headdresses and outfits, singing Guantanamera. Let me know if they're still there. :)

Awesome! I am a big fan of weird street music! I am going to go actively search them out!
I think I know which pastry shop you mean, I remember one right in the square that I bought a pastry in and it was so good that I went back and bought two more. When I find a good thing, I want it AAALLLLLLL.

My blog link is http://caminodeuchuujin.wordpress.com , I wanted to start a new one for my camino, because the other one is a very boring design one. ;)

That's a great idea!

Is having it issued by Via Lusitana different than the one I would have received in the packet from the agency?

Don't know. The ones you get in the Lisbon Cathedral are from the Santiago Cathedral, issued by the Via Lusitana Association. Probably the agency give the same credencial but issued somewhere else. There are some agencies who make their own credenciales. Santiago Cathedral doesn't like that and will stop accepting those made by tour operators etc in a couple of months. Don't worry, everything will be fine.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back