• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Lisbon

Alfredo2021

2022 Camino Frances
Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino Portuguese in Sept 2024, from Lisbon to Santiago. I am using John Brierley's guide to plan my pilgrimage. His first seven stages are over 30 KM each. I am over 73 and have completed the French Way and thru hiked the AT. I usually start my walks with a short day, so I hope to walk from the Lisbon Cathedral Se to Oriente, about 10 KM, the first day. My questions are:

1. How was it walking 30 KM to Alverca do Ribatejo? It looks flat so I may be able to do it in 10 to 12 hours.
2. If I stay in Oriente/Moscavide, is the Pousaada de Juventude a good place to stay or would I be too old? I have no problems with staying in Albergues but this is more of a general youth hostel.
3. Is there any other accommodations in Oriente/Moscavide that you can recommend?
4. Or is taking the train from Oriente to Alverca do Ribatejo just the best alternative? This is suggested by the Wise Pilgrim app.

Any insights you can give me are greatly appreciated. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. How was it walking 30 KM to Alverca do Ribatejo? It looks flat so I may be able to do it in 10 to 12 hours.

I don’t know if the Wise Pilgrim app reflects the newly opened river walk that makes for a big change in the route out of Lisbon. And I think the Brierley guide is out of date, too. According to Gronze, the stage from Lisbon cathedral to Alverca is now under 25 km. See the newly rerouted map here. I walked from Lisbon about 20 years ago, so I can’t even begin to contemplate the changes, but I would give the river walk a try. This is not a spectacular bit of Portugal, but the towns are enjoyable, the people are great, and the food is really a notch above (and cheaper than) your typical Spanish menú del peregrino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don’t know if the Wise Pilgrim app reflects the newly opened river walk that makes for a big change in the route out of Lisbon. And I think the Brierley guide is out of date, too. According to Gronze, the stage from Lisbon cathedral to Alverca is now under 25 km. See the newly rerouted map here. I walked from Lisbon about 20 years ago, so I can’t even begin to contemplate the changes, but I would give the river walk a try. This is not a spectacular bit of Portugal, but the towns are enjoyable, the people are great, and the food is really a notch above (and cheaper than) your typical Spanish menú del peregrino.
Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I plan to walk the Camino Portuguese in Sept 2024, from Lisbon to Santiago. I am using John Brierley's guide to plan my pilgrimage. His first seven stages are over 30 KM each. I am over 73 and have completed the French Way and thru hiked the AT. I usually start my walks with a short day, so I hope to walk from the Lisbon Cathedral Se to Oriente, about 10 KM, the first day. My questions are:

2. If I stay in Oriente/Moscavide, is the Pousaada de Juventude a good place to stay or would I be too old? I have no problems with staying in Albergues but this is more of a general youth hostel.
3. Is there any other accommodations in Oriente/Moscavide that you can recommend?
4. Or is taking the train from Oriente to Alverca do Ribatejo just the best alternative? This is suggested by the Wise Pilgrim app.

Hello Pilgrim - I am on the same boat as you, I walked CF in September 2022 at 72 yrs, and now I am about to do the Portuguese from Lisbon this coming April using the Wise Pilgrim guide. I walk regularly but yes, I am bracing myself for those long distances. Regarding your first question: I was planning to walk up to to Povoa de Santa Iria - 26.2 km, which the map indicates there are accommodations however the pages describing Povoa de Santa Iria do not list any albergues/hostels or any other accommodations. So, I may have to cut that day short and stay in Alpriate 1.5 km earlier @Albergue de Peregrinos de Alpriate (+351 915 595 213) I hope this helps. Buen Camino

So, I may have to cut that day short and stay in Alpriate 1.5 km earlier @Albergue de Peregrinos de Alpriate (+351 915 595 213) I hope this helps.
You won't be able to stay in Alpriate because that albergue closed, and the new route out of Lisbon no longer goes through Alpriate.

The route is now a bit shorter, and you can reach Alverca where there are several places to stay in 24.8 km.

new route out of lisbon.png

The new distances are on Gronze

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You won't be able to stay in Alpriate because that albergue closed, and the new route out of Lisbon no longer goes through Alpriate.

The route is now a bit shorter, and you can reach Alverca where there are several places to stay in 24.8 km.

View attachment 162017

The new distances are on Gronze

Thank you very much! I appreciate the heads up:)

Some information here

The Loures Ribeirinho Route is one of the most symbolically important public space works in the Lisbon metropolitan area , highlighting a better interconnected territory. For the first time, Loures turns towards the river . And, for the first time, there is a pedestrian and cycling connection – pleasant and safe – between Lisbon, Loures and Vila Franca de Xira .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you, I agree to both your pounts Brierley is out of date and the Wise guide (cannot speak about the app yet) maps show accommodations but the page for that town does not have anything in those towns. So I am now resorting to Gronze. Thank you both

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Peregrina...thanks for posting that link to Gronze!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you, I agree to both your pounts Brierley is out of date and the Wise guide (cannot speak about the app yet) maps show accommodations but the page for that town does not have anything in those towns. So I am now resorting to Gronze. Thank you both
I have the 2024 John Brierley and Gemma Brierley Guide which is completely up to date and showing the new shorter route along the board walk along the Tego, shortens the stage to Alverca by 7.8 km. Of course it also shows the original longer route. I will starting on the 1 May this year.

I walked from Lisbon when I was 76. I was fortunate that the Alpriate albergue had just opened so it was not necessary to walk 30 klms on the first day. However, there were later a number of days when I was forced to walk 30klms because of the lack of accommodation on those legs.
I usually started off early and finished walking by around 1PM. I then spent the remainder of the afternoon resting. i always had a day off every 7th day.
In my opinion the best of Portugal is before Porto.
If you are reasonably fit I dont think you will have problems with the 30klm days.
I walked the Inglis last year when I was 83. There were some days when it was necessary to walk in excess of 20klms. This year I hope to walk the Invierno at 84.

Hi, my wife and i walked that route all the way to Santiago in Sept 2023. Getting out of Lisbon can be tricky, some places the route is marked and others it is not, so guessing and exploring takes place. Once you make it to the Vasco de Gama bridge / park you will fine. The boardwalk is extensive - over 12K. Nothing much to see and in Sept it was very hot, so pack water. We mostly stayed in 3 star hotels, some with good food and others not, so we packed fruit and yogourt, bread rolls and cheese. Getting out of Lisbon, we took the metro to the very last stop and then walked. You can try this, as it cuts down on some pavement. I would say, half the walk between Lisbon and Porto is on paved roads, highways or cobblestone. We covered an average of 23 to 26 K per day. I am 77 and had no major problems.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is precisely why I find it worth the minimal expense and space on my phone to take multiple apps with me on Caminos.
Me too. There have been times when I'm at a crossroads, and it's helpful to have at least two of the four apps agree and confirm the right direction.

This is precisely why I find it worth the minimal expense and space on my phone to take multiple apps with me on Caminos.
Me too. There have been times when I'm at a crossroads, and it's helpful to have at least two of the four apps agree and confirm the right direction.
Or if you have several wikiloc tracks, you only need one app and can flip back and forth to figure it out. :)

Having several options is a great idea, maybe not for the Francés, Norte, Portugués, Vdlp, Primitivo, etc, but for the untraveled and solitary caminos it really eliminates any anxiety or nerves that might otherwise arise.

Yes, this is off-topic. Sorry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Or if you have several wikiloc tracks, you only need one app and can flip back and forth to figure it out. :)

Having several options is a great idea, maybe not for the Francés, Norte, Portugués, Vdlp, Primitivo, etc, but for the untraveled and solitary caminos it really eliminates any anxiety or nerves that might otherwise arise.

Yes, this is off-topic. Sorry.
That's also why I have Organic Maps, Wikiloc, and Mapy.cz. :) Several tracks might have been uploaded to Wikiloc, but others might be in the other apps.

I also want to testify to the hot hot days in early September, and there is little to no shade and heat reflected off the cement, dry earth, and river. It IS walkable, but plan your days accordingly noting there are not a lot of places to get water or sit down along the route. I also noted quite a number of small markets and restaurants were on holiday during the first two weeks of September.

I walked the Central from Lisbon last September. My advice is to spend some tourist time in Lisbon, then train to Tomar. There are narrow somewhat dangerous roads after Tomar, but the worst stretch is Lisbon to Tomar. Starting in Porto misses Tomar and Coimbra which are both worth experiencing. I was almost killed by drivers twice in the Villa Franca-Santarem section.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some years ago, when I was 74 years young, I spent the first camino night in the youth hostel. A perfect solution to start with a short walking day and then have an also short day after that. You are not too old for the youth hostel. Private rooms available!

Some years ago, when I was 74 years young, I spent the first camino night in the youth hostel. A perfect solution to start with a short walking day and then have an also short day after that. You are not too old for the youth hostel. Private rooms available
Thanks for your help

Some years ago, when I was 74 years young, I spent the first camino night in the youth hostel. A perfect solution to start with a short walking day and then have an also short day after that. You are not too old for the youth hostel. Private rooms available!
What town was the youth hostel in?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked from Lisbon late September last year and used the new boardwalk. There were no arrows indicating the Camino at that time but there was an information plaque at the beginning which mentions the Pope so you will certain you're on the right path. After that there are several benches on the section, if you need to rest or watch the flamingos. I thought it was a great route.
I did end up doing one 48km day a few days before Porto. The pilgrims heading south to Fatima had booked all the private rooms on that section, that day so I decided to head for a municipal albergue that was a little further on. I can't remember the name of the village but it was supposedly run by nuns and the only other accommodation was a private, 10 B&B. Unfortunately, the 'wise' pilgrim book and app was three years out of date, the albergue closed with the start of COVID.
I would suggest that once you start seeing large groups of walkers in high viz vests walking in the opposite direction to you then you should start booking your accommodation in advance.
You won't be able to miss these pilgrims, they seemed to outnumber the pilgrims heading north by about 10/1, hence the lack of private rooms.

Fatima walking pilgrimages are definitely seasonal, but your advice about changing your reservation game when seeing crowds increase walking in either direction is a good one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with you. I’m 73 and been walking the Caminos for ten years. In April I’m revisiting the Portugese Camino.
Also 73 and I will be starting from Lisbon, so if you pass me along the way, I would appreciate a 'Buen Camino Pilgrim', I, in turn, shall return the wishes🙏

Also 73 and I will be starting from Lisbon, so if you pass me along the way, I would appreciate a 'Buen Camino Pilgrim', I, in turn, shall return the wishes🙏
Hey that’s so funny, when are you commencing, me April 6.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Starting Mar 31st and aim to be in Porto by April 14th. It would be awesome to say hello or even stop for a beer!
Staying in Porto April 15 at Hotel Peninsular. April 16 Vila do Conde. I’m only walking to the boarder then back to Lisbon 24th for Freedom Day Celebrations. It’s the 50th anniversary of the Carnation Revolution. Definitely catch up for a beer or coffee. I’ll be on email during my time overseas.

Staying in Porto April 15 at Hotel Peninsular. April 16 Vila do Conde. I’m only walking to the boarder then back to Lisbon 24th for Freedom Day Celebrations. It’s the 50th anniversary of the Carnation Revolution. Definitely catch up for a beer or coffee. I’ll be on email during my time overseas.
Spending two nights at Legendary Porto Hotel and leaving for Algeiras April 16th as I will be taking the Coastal way up to Vigo, then connecting with the Central at Redondela. But beer or coffee in Porto sounds good, I will also be on email while there, hopefully we can make it work.

Returning back to Lisbon for those celebrations it will be awesome!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back