• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon airport, and not to be missed in Lisbon?

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
I haven’t seen a question on this, so if I missed it, sorry. I’m sure a pilgrim or two have experienced this. I scheduled a private van pickup of my group of 3 from the Lisbon Airport to our lodging. The driver messaged that he will wait for one hour after the plane’s arrival. I figure that I can offer a tip to have him wait longer. How much time should I realistically plan for the deplaning, luggage pickup, sports luggage pickup, and Customs?

With our airline changing our flight dates, we now will have only one partial day to see Lisbon, albeit with jet lag. What is not to be missed in Lisbon for a first timer — beautiful Catholic Church, Phoenician ruins, Roman ruins, medieval architecture, history tour, food and drink, magnificent vistas, anything Cristiano Ronaldo, unique must see, or ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I lived in Lisbon from 2017-23. Here is an article I wrote with my highlights, so you could start there:

With our airline changing our flight dates, we now will have only one partial day to see Lisbon, albeit with jet lag.
Sintra. Don't miss it. Sights and accessibility well explained in the link.
With one partial day and jet lag, I certainly wouldn't recommend Sintra. Let's be more realistic.

What is not to be missed in Lisbon for a first timer — beautiful Catholic Church, Phoenician ruins, Roman ruins, medieval architecture, history tour, food and drink, magnificent vistas, anything Cristiano Ronaldo, unique must see, or ?
Love your optimism about Phoenician ruins but there aren't any of any significance in Lisbon, even though the city was founded by the Phoenicians. But fortunately a lot of the rest of what you asked for can be visited within a short area around Alfama. The cathedral is a Romanesque-Gothic hybrid; a short distance away are the ruins of a Roman theater, and also a short distance away are two adjacent viewpoints, which are probably the two most famous in the city: Santa Luzia and Portas do Sol.

As for medieval architecture, there are only really three medieval buildings in Lisbon as the rest were destroyed by the 1755 earthquake. They are the aforementioned cathedral, the nearby castle (although hugely reconstructed in the 1940s) and the Convento do Carmo, which is on the 'other' hill from the cathedral, in the Chiado/Bairro Alto area. The Convento do Carmo is the 'symbol' of the earthquake in that the roof collapsed while a service was in progress and it was never rebuilt, giving the church an eerie atmosphere.

In general, I would concentrate on the Alfama-Baixa-Chiado zones, which offer more than enough for a partial day of relaxed sightseeing and getting a bit of a feel for Lisbon. Boa viagem!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After walking and if you have run out of energy, why not jump on one of the many vintage trams that ply the narrow streets of the city. Electro 28 (E28) seems to be the one that covers most of the key stopping points.

This was the weather in late January this year.

As Lisbon is also a cruise ship port, you may find the place overwhelmed or quiet depending on whether the ship has disgorged its contents. There are an overwhelming number of tuk-tuks plying for trade when the ship is in which leads to more congestion - so walking may be faster.

Attachments

• IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4429.JPG
    IMG_4429.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4431.JPG
    IMG_4431.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
I haven’t seen a question on this, so if I missed it, sorry. I’m sure a pilgrim or two have experienced this. I scheduled a private van pickup of my group of 3 from the Lisbon Airport to our lodging. The driver messaged that he will wait for one hour after the plane’s arrival. I figure that I can offer a tip to have him wait longer. How much time should I realistically plan for the deplaning, luggage pickup, sports luggage pickup, and Customs?

With our airline changing our flight dates, we now will have only one partial day to see Lisbon, albeit with jet lag. What is not to be missed in Lisbon for a first timer — beautiful Catholic Church, Phoenician ruins, Roman ruins, medieval architecture, history tour, food and drink, magnificent vistas, anything Cristiano Ronaldo, unique must see, or ?
Get the driver to turn up at least half an hour after the flight lands.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How much time should I realistically plan for the deplaning, luggage pickup, sports luggage pickup, and Customs?
No one can properly answer this, all people can do is give you their own experiences which may or may not match your own, as there are many variables. (e.g. How long you wait at immigration depends on how long the line is, which depends on which other flights land around the same time as yours, etc.)

In general, the airport is small and therefore things are usually fairly quick, and that's as precise as anyone can be. Assuming you are flying long haul, you will land at T1 and go straight from the plane to the terminal (budget airlines land at T2 and there's a bus from the plane to T1, which takes longer). I have never picked up sports luggage so I don't know how long this may take, and getting through customs may take longer if you have sports luggage (whereas in general there is no wait at customs if you have nothing to declare, you just walk straight through).

Last edited:
Monuments and cathedrals are great, but we did a wallking food tour and I would - "hands down" - recommend that if you only have one extra day. You can sample the pasteis de nata, the bufana, some of the eastern and african foods, and the wines and drinks that you won't get anywhere else. We did a half-day tour.....I'm sorry, but I don't remember the name of the company, but I do know it was a recommendation from a Rick Steves guidebook. We had so many tastings and drinks that we skipped dinner. Try one - you won't regret it.

Lots of great ideas.
I had a day and just happily wandered around the streets and byways, eating great food, taking lots of photos and giving myself rest and breathing space before I started my Camino.
Lisbon is lovely so whatever you do will be a delight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

As regards your driver, get his phone number and set it up in What's App. If you are nervous about getting out of customs in an hour, set the pick up time for later. He'll wait for an hour, but from the time you set. So you can push it back 30 minutes or more. If you're lucky and the flight arrives early, send him a text and change the time.

Thank you all for the wealth of suggestions and information! I’m so grateful and glad to be a part of this pilgrim community.

Jungleboy, your terrific article educated me on Lisbon history, besides making me want to do as much as possible in your article. I was truly hoping that Phoenician ruins might still be evident, like the Mycaen ruins (1750-1200 BCE) that I visited on the Peloponnese peninsula in Greece, which predated the origin of the Greek civilization about 800 BCE. I was ignorant of the 1506 massacre. I wonder if there are any countries without a massacre? I will check out the tram as well, which sounds as good as the hop on/hop off buses in Berlin and Paris. I particularly appreciate that my limited energy will not be taxed by the touring via tram. And who woulda thought that a country has multiple statues of poets, like Portugal?! Mine, the USA, has zero. I must read a poem or two by these great poets, abd thank God for google translate.

Peregrina2000, thanks so much for the walking tour! Sounds like another excellent must do. For me, a rapid pace will be challenging, so I may need to select a portion of the walk.

I enjoy watching and learning from Rick Steves’ videos, and thanks for the reminder!

Like the food tour, too! I will want to try a bifana (I looked it up), though sans the bread roll. Gluten causes inflammation, throat closing, wheezing in me. 😔

So many more to thank, but then my post will drag on, so THANK YOU KINDLY for your generous spirit to help this newbie! 💕

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back