• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you recommend a three day stretch?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have a couple of Spanish friends who think that I'm a camino nut case, but who have finally decided that they are going to give it a try. They have only a short three day weekend this spring but want to test the waters. They can start anywhere along the Frances and will have someone to pick them up at the end.

So, if you were going to recommend any three days in a row along the Frances, which would they be? Thanks, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Laurie,

Are your friends fit? If so I would suggest Pamplona to Puenta la Reina via the Alto del Perdon and Eunate and then walking on to Estella. Great scenery, much history, and lots of elevation changes to give a good feeling for the route in general.

Buen camino to them all,

Margaret Meredith

And if they are really fit, my best-loved stretch from Astorga-Rabanal-Molinaseca (or from Hospital de Orbigo) encapsulates the history/myth/scenery/the Cruz de Ferro! But perhaps that would be 'cheating' for a trial-run, so to speak. Alternatively, perhaps start at the summit of Mostelares above Castrojeríz, allowing an overnight with Edu y familia in Boadilla, and on to Frómista or Carrión, to see how not-boring the Meseta is!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great suggestions so far. For the Meseta I‘d start a bit earlier to get in that great stretch between Hornillos and Hontanas. Burgos is an easy start point to get to as well.

As they are Spanish I would start them at Roncesvalles in the pilgrim albergue and attending the pilgrim mass. It's the traditional starting point for Spaniards. I reckon they'll be hooked after the first night.

They will see how a Camino community forms from those first few days, a day of beautiful walking into Zubriri, and the pedestrian entrance to Pamplona which is much more interesting and historic than all the vehicular entry points. Also the extraordinary number of international pilgrims who come to Spain to walk, something not quite so apparent during the later stages when the numbers get diluted by Spanish walkers.

They can then come back as time allows and walk sections of the Frances until they reach Santiago.

Above all dissuade them from starting by doing the last 100km stretch. So many Spaniards "do" the Camino that way and tick it off their bucket list.

I have a couple of Spanish friends who think that I'm a camino nut case, but who have finally decided that they are going to give it a try. They have only a short three day weekend this spring but want to test the waters. They can start anywhere along the Frances and will have someone to pick them up at the end.

So, if you were going to recommend any three days in a row along the Frances, which would they be? Thanks, Laurie[/quote)

All suggestions very worthy but cherry picking...........

However in my opinion there is only one place to start a walking route whether it is a Camino or not, and that start point is the beginning. The pilgrims office in St Jean Pied de Port with their credential, following their advice the Route Napoleon for scenery and down to Roncesvalles for mass. Now they have started at the beginning they can finish their 3 days in Pamplona or Cizur Menor with a great sense of achievement. At their next window of opportunity they can return with the same credential any time and continue on their way to Santiago without any repetitive sections of The Way.
At 70 I found the Pyrenees easy reaching Roncevalles in 5 1/2 hours. Rhythm is the answer...........HEAD DOWN, BUM OUT & BRAIN INTO NEUTRAL.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, walk every step of every stage, every day for complete inner satisfaction.

Whish them Ultreia & Buen Camino from Wales.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My vote goes to start in Roncesvalles-- it starts with a "BANG!" on the incredibly spectacular medieval complex and first anchor of the French Way in Spain. Also, at this point people are starting to know each other and bond, which won't make them feel like "outsiders". Navarra has beautiful villages, bridges, flora, and of course Pamplona is a fun town!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would suggest Najera to Burgos. Start in the river city of Najera and take a beautiful walk to Santa Domingo de Calzada Cathedral for a visit and the Chickens legend then on to a first night stay in Granon (imo, the best Albergue on the Camino Frances), Second day onto Tosantos or Villafranca de Orca, Third day onto Burgos and the Cathedral with a stop in Atapuerca along the way.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

So, if you were going to recommend any three days in a row along the Frances, which would they be? Thanks, Laurie
How long will a daily stretch be for you. We all walk different length and have different view point on how long a three day walk would be. I had an average of 36,6 km/day. I really tried to look for 3 days using the stages in Brierley's book but soon realized that I combines almost every possible stretch as they have something to offer. So instead I will mention some places I really enjoyed.
* Leaving Roncevalles, passing the farmland and into the woods, magic.
* Pamplona to Puenta la Reina via Eunate.
* Vilamaior de Monjardín and going up to the castle (ask for the key in the bar).
* The town Viana
* Albergue in Azofra and the way there was special.
* Belorado to Burgos and espacially the woods and fields between St. Juan and Atapuerca and the hills just after Atapuerca, then you end up in Burgos but I heard if you take the scenic route via the river it is quite ok.
* Castrojeriz, walking up that big hill and the view from up there a nice reward after the meseta.
* The canal in Frómista
* Sáhagún i liked that place. It could be nice to have company from Carrión to Mansilla for instance as there aren't many villages on that stretch and an be a little bit lonley. (But I loved that part).
* You should visit the albergue in Villares de Órbigo just after Hpospital de Orbigo and albergue Casa Banderas in Villachá just before Portomarín.

There were some places I did't like that much:
Estella (old town was nice), Logroño, Cirueña, Sarria, Palas de Rei. I did't stay long in any of the big towns either but liked the cathedral in Burgos and visited the cathedrals in Léon and Astorga as well. Some like the pulse in the towns I just wanted out from there as soon as possible. But if your friends has limited time you should probably select a start och endpoint with good transportation in/out.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back