• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you name this albergue?

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
Can I introduce you to a brilliant blog made by Pete Schloss? https://mediationkc.com/2021/07/10/part-10-friendships-with-little-in-common/
From there, you can go to Part 1, but first take a look at photos #22 and #23 from the start or #8 and #9 from the end. Can you tell me where this is? Pete can't remember. I think it would be in Larrasoaña, but I could be wrong.
Over to you; I'm sure you won't let me down.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think photo number 14 down seems like the municipal albergue in Larrasoaña if I remember correctly

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Most likely that this is the pic you are trying to match - PLUS the match from Gronze
‘Albergue Trinidad de Arre’
I agree that this picture is definitely of that albergue, but the following pictures are of a lunch place.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm sorry to have caused so much confusion! My lack of computer skills prevented my posting the pictures themselves. When I clicked on them in Pete's blog, nothing happened, so I resorted to counting, first from the beginning, then, since it was over 20 and I didn't want my fellow pilgrims to have to go beyond their own fingers and toes, I counted from the end. Yes, trecile has identified the two photos correctly. (And so did Anhalter.) I had assumed it was an albergue. The long tables and benches seem to me to be albergue-like, rather than a restaurant, café, or bar. To be clear: #22 from the start is #9 from the end, and #23 from the start is #8 from the end. having sorted that out, all I need is a name or address.

There is a possibility the bar could be the now closed El Horno de Irotz. If so the sequence of the photos is a bit weird, so I could be totally wrong. The church in the previous photo could be the church in that tiny hamlet, just after the closed bar, and it is followed by the bridge at Irotz. The albergue at the end of the bridge in another photo is indeed Trinidad de Arre. Photos from internet.
IMG_5014.jpegIMG_5013.png

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, looks like the bar before Zubiri. As I recall they had a great tortilla...
edited - looked at my pictures but now can't remember if it's before or after, but it's in that area. I remember eating there, going to the bathroom, and the pretty view.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a possibility the bar could be the now closed El Horno de Irotz.
Sure looks like it. Google Maps has an entry for it. Besides the interactive maps there are photos and other information.

Edit: Dang! @mspath beat me to it.

There is a possibility the bar could be the now closed El Horno de Irotz. If so the sequence of the photos is a bit weird, so I could be totally wrong. The church in the previous photo could be the church in that tiny hamlet, just after the closed bar, and it is followed by the bridge at Irotz.

Yes, it is El Horno de Irotz. When seen from the Camino road, the seating area (first photo - top) is on the right side of the courtyard and the pizza oven and the serving counter (second photo - bottom) are on the left side. I remember it well. Alas, it rained the whole time and it was cold when we stopped there. Still, a good memory and a pity that it is closed now. It was apparently popular with the locals, too.

Irotz.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bingo!
That "wagon wheel" on the wall in Kirkie's photo can be seen on the wall in the downloaded video picture when you zoom in. Thanks Kirkie for your good detective work.
It's a different wagon wheel on a different wall, but it is the right place.
Thanks, Kirkie.
The church in the "previous" photo (actually five photos previous to #22) is dedicated to San Esteban in Zubiri (if that's the photo you meant). Irotz comes after Zubiri, unless you are walking the camino in reverse.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's a different wagon wheel on a different wall, but it is the right place.
Thanks, Kirkie.
The church in the "previous" photo (actually five photos previous to #22) is dedicated to San Esteban in Zubiri (if that's the photo you meant). Irotz comes after Zubiri, unless you are walking the camino in reverse.
Glad you now have the name of the spot. I know the area somewhat, as I am generally on duty for a couple of weeks in Zabaldika during the summer and escape in the early mornings for a walk around! My understanding is the bar is closed. As in, closed. Never say never...but do keep your swimming togs handy for a swim when you reach the bridge in Irotz. ;)

Yes, it is El Horno de Irotz. When seen from the Camino road, the seating area (first photo - top) is on the right side of the courtyard and the pizza oven and the serving counter (second photo - bottom) are on the left side. I remember it well. Alas, it rained the whole time and it was cold when we stopped there. Still, a good memory and a pity that it is closed now. It was apparently popular with the locals, too.

View attachment 159883
I also remember this place clearly. The first time I stopped here was in late Sept 2011. It was more modest than the photos above, but thé pizza oven was there. The second time was on 3 April 2013 - they had expanded with more seating and more on offer. I recall showing the owners a photo of my previous visit and discussing (in tortuous Spanglish on my part) the transformation. Fond memories of both visits. ♥️♥️

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can I introduce you to a brilliant blog made by Pete Schloss? https://mediationkc.com/2021/07/10/part-10-friendships-with-little-in-common/
From there, you can go to Part 1, but first take a look at photos #22 and #23 from the start or #8 and #9 from the end. Can you tell me where this is? Pete can't remember. I think it would be in Larrasoaña, but I could be wrong.
Over to you; I'm sure you won't let me down.
The Albergue in the first picture is the one in Roncesvalles. If you look closely you can see "Albergue de Roncesvalles" on the sign next to the door.

1. It's not the first picture. 2. You don't have to look closely to see the name. 3. It's not the albergue I was asking the name of.
Btw, it turned out that the place I was looking for was not an albergue.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back