Canadian pilgrim safely found in Villafranca del Bierzo | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Canadian pilgrim safely found in Villafranca del Bierzo

Discussion in 'Personal Safety' started by SabineP, Jun 11, 2017.

1. SabineP

SabineP Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    some and then more.
    SYates, marylynn, natefaith and 2 others like this.
  2. Icacos

Icacos Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    My Spanish is not adequate to fully understand what transpired here and I've never been successful with copying and pasting into Google Translate, but how disappointing for the poor fellow if he has to give up his camino. My heart goes out to anyone who, but for a little help, would be able to walk the Way.

3. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    He checked into an albergue and went out for the afternoon. Tue next morning the hospy got worried because the man had not come back to sleep. Called the cops. A search party went out looking for him. As they had checked hos backpack, they noticed some meds and were afraid something may have happened to him, especially without his meds.

They eventually found him in another albergue/hotel 50 meters down the street from the albergue where he had checked in and left his stuff.

Because this showed that he can get disoriented, the police suggested he put an end to his Camino.

HedaP and Peter Fransiscus like this.
  4. nycwalking

nycwalking Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). VDP: (2017). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
    Maybe next time he can take a buddy along.

5. Icacos

Icacos Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    Thank you for this. Still, I hope that, with the camino pilgrim network, enough folk would come together and be able and willing to keep an eye on him so that he can continue; I've seen it done along the way for others. I hope he does not give up his camino without at least trying to get some assistance. As @nycwalking says, perhaps he can find a buddy to walk with him .... and soon. Fingers crossed!!

6. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    Here in the USA, well at least in New Jersey we have what is called
    " Silver Alert " it's a notification system for missing people, mostly senior citizens with dementia who have wondered off, mostly in their auto.
    ( why they still have their car & drivers license baffles the hell out of me )
    Almost every time I take a two hour drive down to the Jersey shore I will see at least one notification. Flashing sign saying silver alert - black Honda followed by the license plate number.

CaminoDebrita likes this.
  7. SYates

SYates Camino Fossil AD 1999 Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    First: Camino Francés 1999
    Last: CF winter 2016/17

Now: http://egeria.house/
    I just had a pilgrim of the slightly disorientated variety staying with me for two nights, I can tell you it isn't as easy as it sounds! Buen Camino, SY

8. Kathar1na

Kathar1na Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Walked many miles towards Santiago.
    According to El Bierzo Digital , the local mayor led a search party who spent a good part of the night searching the river banks upstream and downstream for several kilometers, every gap in the vegetation etc as it was feared that the pilgrim may have had an accident and needed help. So don't just think of the pilgrim and whether he may or may not have to end his pilgrimage and any assistance he may need in the future from other pilgrims but also of the local assistance that is being provided in case of need.

And it was only 3 weeks ago, when the search for another pilgrim had a happy ending: a 82 year old pilgrim got lost and spent four days in a deserted village, living of oranges on nearby trees before he was rescued: http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...rdido-aldea-occidente/0003_201705X16C2992.htm

9. Felipe

Felipe Veteran Member

It is not difficult to get disoriented in a place you don't know.
    In my first pilgrimage I went to diner in Estella with some pilgrims I had met, who knew well the city. Problem was, they were in another albergue, so after the diner we parted ways. I was sure I could come back to my place, but by night all the streets seemed the same in the maze of the old city, and I was quite worried because it was almost curfew hour. At the end, I decided to stop a local folk, said to him "Disculpe, estoy completamente perdido", and he kindly explained me the right path.
    After this experience, when I was in a city, I got the habit of taking careful mental note of where my albergue was, looking for some visual points, as churches or monuments.

10. Montana Jayne

Montana Jayne Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    September 2015 - Camino Frances
    ? Camino Ingles
    It is, most likely, not the same people who are the subject of the silver alert. N.J. has a population of older folks who gradually become the vulnerable population. I hope that once this happens the family / and doctor can get the driver's license taken away. Not easy at all, but necessary.