• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canberra based Camino bound

Cyd

Hi All

I'd heard about the Camino a few years ago - a short series on Radio National about a woman who had walked it - I was fascinated and filed the information in the back of my mind. That series prompted me to remember a book my mother got for me when I was a teenager about the Buddhist pilgrimage round the 88 temples of Shikoku in Japan and how I'd decided to walk that one day.

A few weeks ago my relationship ended which prompted me (as it always does in such times) to evaluate where my life was at and how disconnected I felt from myself and the world I live in.

Through a series of decisions to read various books and look up internet references I happened upon a personal account of someone's Camino journey, I instantly decided that I need to walk it also...and so began my journey.

I'm so excited about walking the Camino I could burst! Planning, reading, gearing up already to walk in April/May of 2008.

I'd be keen to hear from people in Australia about their experiences and particularly their travel arrangements to get over there. At this stage I'm planning to fly to London and make my way over from there - perhaps the ferry to Santander. I'm taking about 6 weeks off work and walk from SJDP to SdC with a few days either end for sight-seeing or just relaxing!

This forum is a fantastic resource, I've gained lots of valuable information already - thanks to everyone involved with it.

cheers
Cyd

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Cyd,

As a South Australian I fly direct to Paris (via Singapore), catch the TGV train from the airport straight to where I am going to begin my Camino and then rest. I get stressed in busy airports etc in strange cities and so, for me, that is the best way. It also means that I am then able to spend a leisurely day looking around the town (Toulouse in 2005, Le Puy in 2 weeks time) sorting out credencials, finding the start of the jounrney etc.

The flight into Paris arrives at about 7.00a.m. which gives you the whole day to get to where your going and an early night so that you can adjust to the new time zone.

There is a chap from Canberra - Tony Kevin - who has just published a book about his experience on the Camino Mozarabe and the via del Plata. He is currently travelling around the country publicising his book (you may have heard him the ABC) but he might be a good chap to talk to.

I THINK there is also a group of Canberra-ites who may have an informal gathering, certainly there is one in Sydney. Enjoy your planning and preparation. Janet

Hi Cyd

Have you read the book 'The Year We Seized the Day' by Australian authors Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles. It is such a wonderful story of their pilgrimage and is open, frank and beautifully written.

It is funny enough to make you roar with laughter, cry for their pain and embrace yourself with the sheer joy of their journey. I have loaned the book to five people who have loved it from cover to cover and want to walk the Camino.

It's a great read!

Safe journey
Jacqueline

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Cyd,

Your excitement is contagious and I feel sure all will fall into place re: research via this wonderful forum(thanks Ivan and all)/internet etc. In fact I found it overwhelming :) in a good way of course, at first.

I live in Sydney and my first walk will be in 2008 so I haven't much to add on the experience of actually "doing it" as yet !!!

My sister is a travel journalist and today sent me this site -

http://www.telegraph.com/04camino/m_travel.htm

which I am finding useful.

I have 5 adult('ish) children and on many occasions I would have liked to have sent them *off on a 'walk*!! (at their life changing turning points), or better yet, taken myself off on one over the years.

It is a very sound idea.

Buen Camino.
Lp

I am from teh Hunter Valley,

I hope to do the Camino Ingles later this month.
I still have very little idea of what will happen, I expect I will be sore.

But I have been wanting to do this for years.

Hi Cyd, I am 56 and have decided that my goal for the year is to get fit enough to do the Camino in April 08, you never know we'll probably meet on the way. I am giving myself 6 weeks to do it the Camino, I know that many do it in 4, but I am not in a hurry and from what I've read, towards the end, you don't want it to end. I live in Adelaide, but come from Peru originally so can speak Spanish. Cheers, Clarisa PS Anyone from Adelaide going in April 08?
Lets meet up!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.