• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canterbury, England to Santiago de Compostela

PurpleEyes

Time of past OR future Camino
Canterbury, England to Santiago de Compostela (2016)
Hi,
I have decided to walk from Canterbury to Compostela next year. I have no idea how to start planning this though!
What are the best routes to walk?
What equipment will I need?
When is the best time of year to do it?
Is it safe for a female (mid-twenties) walking alone?
Google Maps tells me it's about 1,500 miles so I've figured it will take about c.4-5 months. It is something I've always toyed with doing and I worry that if I don't do it now, I never will - life has a way of running away with you. Any tips, pointers, help and starting places for planning this would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks,
Alice

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are many ways of doing this.

You could walk down the Via Francigena to Chalons and take the Camino which crosses there from Germany. Alternatively walk on English footpaths to Portsmouth and catch a ferry to St Malo and walk via Mon St Michel.

Whether you carry a tent is the big decision and how happy are you wild camping. Perhaps it is better to aim to use parish accommodation, hostels and chambre d'hotes.

The best time of year would be now onwards until July. I reckon it will take about 4 months.

It is as safe as anywhere for a female walking alone and you will probably be alone for much of the early part of the route. Taking the VF route will add time and distance but there may be more people.

Hi there, firstly congratulations on your decision to do this. I suggest you pick up a copy of "Pilgrim Snail, Busking to Santiago" by Ben Nimo, who walked from Canterbury to Santiago, playing a trombone when he stopped off. This will give you a possible idea of routes and show some of the practicalities of what you want to do. Good luck in your planning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'd take the Francigena to Rome, then a ferry via Corsica to Nice, and Nice to Santiago. It only took us about four years.

Actually, I'm not sure what to recommend, but there are certainly many good options, all safe, and mostly fairly empty for the first part. good project!

No matter how you do it, this will be the experience of a lifetime! Fantastic.

An enjoyable read is A Cockleshell Pilgrim - A Medieval Journey to Compostela
It reconstructs one pilgrim's journey from Worcester to C0mpostela. While that's far to the West of Canterbury, it describes the French route down the coast as it would have been then. Though not much help for present-day planning purposes, it's a wonderful description of the old pilgrims' way...and the stories have been a very helpful reality check on the road for when I've found myself in a difficult patch! Nothing we face today on the Camino comes close to the challenge of creeping through enemy territory as an Englishman during the Hundred Years' War...to say nothing of the day to day difficulties. No cafes or albergues then!;)

Hi,
I have decided to walk from Canterbury to Compostela next year. I have no idea how to start planning this though!
What are the best routes to walk?
What equipment will I need?
When is the best time of year to do it?
Is it safe for a female (mid-twenties) walking alone?
Google Maps tells me it's about 1,500 miles so I've figured it will take about c.4-5 months. It is something I've always toyed with doing and I worry that if I don't do it now, I never will - life has a way of running away with you. Any tips, pointers, help and starting places for planning this would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks,
Alice

Lucky you! The CSJ has a guide to the Via Francigena here http://www.csj.org.uk/product/via-f...me-1-canterbury-to-the-great-st-bernard-pass/ which would give you a good overview about the first bit. And http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakobsweg#/media/File:Ways_of_St._James_in_Europe.png gives you a rough overview of available ways also.

Kalimedia (German web site, but you can use Google translate) has a great overview map of European pilgrimage roads here: http://www.kalimedia.com/Pilgern.html

... I suggest you pick up a copy of "Pilgrim Snail, Busking to Santiago" by Ben Nimo, who walked from Canterbury to Santiago, playing a trombone when he stopped off. This will give you a possible idea of routes and show some of the practicalities of what you want to do. Good luck in your planning!

I second that suggestion! A great travel memoir, but his backpack was a tiny bit on the heavy side with 28kg ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your first decision is whereabouts in France you want to start walking. Do you take the ferry to Calais, or Cherbourg say.

If Calais you could head for Paris then take the Paris/Tours route or continue to Vezelay and take the Voie de Vezelay or to Le Puy and take that route. There are guide books in English for Paris/Tours and Le Puy and in French for Vezelay.

If Cherbourg head for Mont St Michel then the Plantagenet way then either the Voie Littorale or join the Paris route in Bordeaux. If Voie Littorale down the coast you could join the Camino del Norte. There are guides for all of this in English or French.

Then there is the Via Francigena from Wissant (near Calais) from which you can branch off to the Voie de Vezelay.

There are probably other choices too. Have fun!!

Thank you all for your advise! I clearly have a lot of reading to do and then a lot of decisions to make. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and shall probably be back to ask more questions! Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back