• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa da Fernanda

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
at this moment we are staying at casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães.
if you like to stay at Fernanda's is highly recommended to make a reservation early because the number of pilgrims who want to stay at this special place is increasing significantly.
Tel. +351 914 589 521
They have a gardenhouse with 10 beds and a family room with one double bed and one single bed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Totally agree - it is the best, and I was lucky to be able to stay and help as an accidental hospitalero for a few days

The first week of April this year, I was walking with a group of other folks when we stopped at Fernanda's to meet other pilgrims mid to late morning. I did not stay there. However, I got a good look at the place and I can confirm everything written above. Were I walking that route again, I would go out of my way to stay there. In particular, the garden house was definitely above and beyond what you usually find.

The garden house has two, physically separate bathrooms with showers. It is airy, spacious, and likely has good ventilation from the ample windows on each side of the building.

What I want to add here is that I found Fernanda charming, friendly, open and oh so gracious in the extreme. She invites people into her "home." Yes, it is a business. However, I believe she runs the place on a donativo basis. So, do be generous. Fernanda's greeting and warmth is genuine.

We stopped and she invited us into her kitchen and bid us sit at her huge table. She made a fresh pot of drip coffee on her stove, offered us several varieties of fresh bread, baked by Fernanda (WONDERFUL), and gave us oranges from HER fruit trees. She offered us fresh orange juice, again from her oranges, off her trees.

When I offered to pay for the wonderful snack, Fernanda pouted and waived the money away. Another pilgrim who HAD stayed there quietly told me to just quietly leave the money in a designated place on my way out.

Casa Fernanda's gets two thumbs up from me.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are planning to stay there and have the phone number - just wondering if they speak English or Spanish or German coz my Portuguese is currently limited to about ten phrases!

We are planning to stay there and have the phone number - just wondering if they speak English or Spanish or German coz my Portuguese is currently limited to about ten phrases!
Fernanda understands English. German is a problem for her. During the three days I was hospitaleiro I answered all phonecalls and personal questions of German speaking people who did not spoke another language than German.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first week of April this year, I was walking with a group of other folks when we stopped at Fernanda's to meet other pilgrims mid to late morning. I did not stay there. However, I got a good look at the place and I can confirm everything written above. Were I walking that route again, I would go out of my way to stay there. In particular, the garden house was definitely above and beyond what you usually find.

The garden house has two, physically separate bathrooms with showers. It is airy, spacious, and likely has good ventilation from the ample windows on each side of the building.

What I want to add here is that I found Fernanda charming, friendly, open and oh so gracious in the extreme. She invites people into her "home." Yes, it is a business. However, I believe she runs the place on a donativo basis. So, do be generous. Fernanda's greeting and warmth is genuine.

We stopped and she invited us into her kitchen and bid us sit at her huge table. She made a fresh pot of drip coffee on her stove, offered us several varieties of fresh bread, baked by Fernanda (WONDERFUL), and gave us oranges from HER fruit trees. She offered us fresh orange juice, again from her oranges, off her trees.

When I offered to pay for the wonderful snack, Fernanda pouted and waived the money away. Another pilgrim who HAD stayed there quietly told me to just quietly leave the money in a designated place on my way out.

Casa Fernanda's gets two thumbs up from me.

I hope this helps.
I can say you that what Fernanda offers is no bussiness. It started as a pilgrim , seriously ill knocked at her door because nobody in small place where she lives would help, she took the pilgrim in her house. And still it is so. She helps people.
She does not make any money out of this "bussiness" as you say. This is no bussiness. This is people helping with a great and warm heart and human involvement. There is no other place on the entire caminho Portuguese where you meet this warmth .
Sorry to say this to you . I know her some years now , my wife and I are close friends and Fernanda does not deserve to be compared with a "commercial bussiness " !

I can say you that what Fernanda offers is no bussiness. It started as a pilgrim , seriously ill knocked at her door because nobody in small place where she lives would help, she took the pilgrim in her house. And still it is so. She helps people.
She does not make any money out of this "bussiness" as you say. This is no bussiness. This is people helping with a great and warm heart and human involvement. There is no other place on the entire caminho Portuguese where you meet this warmth .
Sorry to say this to you . I know her some years now , my wife and I are close friends and Fernanda does not deserve to be compared with a "commercial bussiness " !

Albert:

I apologize to you, and to all sincerely. As I do not know Fernanda as well as you, I made an assumption that turned out to be incorrect. I regret this and any other inconvenience.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Albert:

I apologize to you, and to all sincerely. As I do not know Fernanda as well as you, I made an assumption that turned out to be incorrect. I regret this and any other inconvenience.

I hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks Tom. No hard feelings but these people deserve so much respect to what they give to the pilgrims, day in day out , year in year out.
You will have the time of your life if you are in their home the next time.
Best regards from A Guarda Spain.
Albertinho

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Tom. No hard feelings but these people deserve so much respect to what they give to the pilgrims, day in day out , year in year out.
You will have the time of your life if you are in their home the next time.
Best regards from A Guarda Spain.
Albertinho

I suspect we originally had a slight misunderstanding. This, I profoundly regret. Perhaps I should have stated in my original post that Fernanda operates her private albergue as a not-for-profit business. Clearly, I knew this, but failed to use the correct words. Thus, I created a misunderstanding for you. That was not my intention. So, I apologized as I did because it was my error.

Case Fernanda is a "business" in the sense that Fernanda provides a very valuable service to pilgrims. She has expenses in doing this. Logically, she needs to cover the costs of those expenses with funds coming from somewhere. So, Fernanda reluctantly accepts donations. She started doing this as a charitable effort. In my view, that makes her and what she does all that more good. Still, this is a technical difference. But a non-profit or charitable / donativo is still a form of a business.

I offer this just to try to clarify my original meaning. I am NOT trying to argue the point or explain away my original error. It was my failure to explain originally using better words. However, my sincere apology to anyone who misunderstood is still offered.

I hope this helps, and that we are still friends in the spirit of the Camino.

I suspect we originally had a slight misunderstanding. This, I profoundly regret. Perhaps I should have stated in my original post that Fernanda operates her private albergue as a not-for-profit business. Clearly, I knew this, but failed to use the correct words. Thus, I created a misunderstanding for you. That was not my intention. So, I apologized as I did because it was my error.

Case Fernanda is a "business" in the sense that Fernanda provides a very valuable service to pilgrims. She has expenses in doing this. Logically, she needs to cover the costs of those expenses with funds coming from somewhere. So, Fernanda reluctantly accepts donations. She started doing this as a charitable effort. In my view, that makes her and what she does all that more good. Still, this is a technical difference. But a non-profit or charitable / donativo is still a form of a business.

I offer this just to try to clarify my original meaning. I am NOT trying to argue the point or explain away my original error. It was my failure to explain originally using better words. However, my sincere apology to anyone who misunderstood is still offered.

I hope this helps, and that we are still friends in the spirit of the Camino.
image.jpg image.jpg Fernanda is the lady , 3rd from the right

"...and Fernanda does not deserve to be compared with a "commercial bussiness ..."
yes - i am glad you spelled that out. thank you albertinho!
her offerings put any 'business' to shame, if that's the right expression.
it's a truly unique place and not because it's donativo or serves yummy food. she's like a 'stationary' pilgrim, if this makes any sense. what she and her husband represent in spirit of heart and action is precious.
and not because of any of the outer manifestions of what they do.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I give in and give up. I agree with the secular saint status and all that. Really I do, and very sincerely. I was just trying to place things in context. Clearly, I am using the wrong words, or something is being lost in translation or cross cultures. Nothing was intended to be critical or negative.

So, I will admit stupidity and crawl back into my sleeping bag...pulling the hood over my sincerely sorry head... On wait, I am home. I sleep in my bed. Okay, so I will crawl under the covers and sulk.

Tom, time to stop sulking! It was a simple misunderstanding, you acted graciously upon realising your mis-assumption and all is well. Everyone has had their say and it's really not a biggie. But if you want to get your sleeping bag out to feel more in the pilgrim spirit you could do so!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is there an email address to contact casa Fernanda? I have seen the telephone number earlier in this thread. However I find an initial contact via email easier in some cases. especially when I can use Babelfish or similar to translate my request into Portuguese/Spanish etc. then follow up with a phone call.

at this moment we are staying at casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães.
if you like to stay at Fernanda's is highly recommended to make a reservation early because the number of pilgrims who want to stay at this special place is increasing significantly.
Tel. +351 914 589 521
They have a gardenhouse with 10 beds and a family room with one double bed and one single bed.

Olá Casa Fernanda is on YouTube. Have a look:

Bom caminho and enjoy your stay at Casa Fernanda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is there an email address to contact casa Fernanda? I have seen the telephone number earlier in this thread. However I find an initial contact via email easier in some cases. especially when I can use Babelfish or similar to translate my request into Portuguese/Spanish etc. then follow up with a phone call.
Fernanda does not reply to emails ! Sorry. She can not find the time for it.
You can phone her. She speaks english..

I saw Fernanda in action last May, and she does work hard. She is a real hostess, from the moment you arrive to when you leave. This must take its toll on her family life, especially her teenage daughter.

I was there on a rainy day, and we congragated on the patio by her garden house/albergue drinking homemade wine: they must have an industrial production of it going on in the basement when you consider how much this group went through!

Then we were invited into the kitchen/dinning room for dinner and ate, and yes, drank, very well. And then the guitar came out and she and her husband started dancing and singing. This made for a late night! I think it was passed 10 pm when itwas all over.

Some "hardcore walkers" who knew this route inside out were more practical, ate, drank just a bit and retired to bed early. One of them apparently liked my sleeping bag liner because when I got back to bed kt was gone. I didnlt have the nerve to wake the possible suspects, but I thik if this ever happens again I would. Actually, next time I would also retire after the meal and skip the singing and dancing, and drinking, to ensure a perkier start the next day.

Honnestly, I have to wonder if people would feel differently about staying there if there was no singing amd dancing which would allow for a bit more normarlcy for the family. I hope they don't do it so we don't feel less about their hospitality.

When you drop in, please consider how much of itself this family is giving.

I saw Fernanda in action last May, and she does work hard. She is a real hostess, from the moment you arrive to when you leave. This must take its toll on her family life, especially her teenage daughter.

I was there on a rainy day, and we congragated on the patio by her garden house/albergue drinking homemade wine: they must have an industrial production of it going on in the basement when you consider how much this group went through!

Then we were invited into the kitchen/dinning room for dinner and ate, and yes, drank, very well. And then the guitar came out and she and her husband started dancing and singing. This made for a late night! I think it was passed 10 pm when itwas all over.

Some "hardcore walkers" who knew this route inside out were more practical, ate, drank just a bit and retired to bed early. One of them apparently liked my sleeping bag liner because when I got back to bed kt was gone. I didnlt have the nerve to wake the possible suspects, but I thik if this ever happens again I would. Actually, next time I would also retire after the meal and skip the singing and dancing, and drinking, to ensure a perkier start the next day.

Honnestly, I have to wonder if people would feel differently about staying there if there was no singing amd dancing which would allow for a bit more normarlcy for the family. I hope they don't do it so we don't feel less about their hospitality.

When you drop in, please consider how much of itself this family is giving.
It is a combination of the Portuguese hospitality, they are warmhearted ❤️ for peregrinos and have the capability to organize.

We have been hospitaleiros there several times so have seen ourselves how it works.

As long they will have the health and energy they will care for and entertain their visitors. It is an important part of their lives.
I hope the pilgrims will appreciate their stay at casa Fernanda by leaving their donation behind because that is very important to finance and continue their services .
I saw groups of 3 to 4 coming in, eating drinking, feasting etc and left behind 5€ for all of them. I mentioned this earlier and people here on the forum defended this for the reason that not every pilgrim has money.
But on the other hand they travel to Portugal from their homes , and anyway before they arrive here and stay somewhere else after they left they have to pay there too. Why leave a donation then of 1,25€ for such an unique service. .. sorry I have to write this here. It makes me very sad !
And then people take money out of the donation cardboard whiskey jar instead of putting in ? A shame.
I bought them a metal letterbox with a lock to hang on the wall so pilgrims can only put their donation in but not take it out. I do not know if Jacinto put it on the wall. It was last May that we were there and I gave the letterbox the day we left.
It is sad that this thIs is necessary .

I can assure you there is no industrial production of whatever may be in their house.
In the rural area where they live, they are a member of a small community of family, relatives , neighbours etc.
One produces wine, another the aguardente firewater, somebody takes care for the bread, logs for the fireplace , all have a garden with vegetables, potatoes etc.
If there are no greenbeans left in her garden, she goes to the neighbour and gets her beans there.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can assure you there is no industrial production of whatever may be in their house.
I think we have a language issue here. When I wrote "they must have an industrial production of wine in their basement" it was not meant litterally. It meant that those of us who stayed that evening drank a lot of her homemade wine. Figurativelly, it would take an industrial production to serve so much wine day after day to 15 people or so.

I think we have a language issue here. When I wrote "they must have an industrial production of wine in their basement" it was not meant litterally. It meant that those of us who stayed that evening drank a lot of her homemade wine. Figurativelly, it would take an industrial production to serve so much wine day after day to 15 people or so.
It could have been possible because one of the neighbours possesess a vineyard.
If they had not started an albergue , maybe they should have been wineproducers now . If.. ..BTW the start of this albergue happened by concidence.
Many years ago a tired and soaked peregrina knocked on some doors to get a dry place for the night but everybody in the hamlet refused her but Fernanda let her heart speak and gave the peregrina food, drinks and a bed for the night. So it started .

I saw groups of 3 to 4 coming in, eating drinking, feasting etc and left behind 5€ for all of them. I mentioned this earlier and people here on the forum defended this for the reason that not every pilgrim has money.
But on the other hand they travel to Portugal from their homes , and anyway before they arrive here and stay somewhere else after they left they have to pay there too. Why leave a donation then of 1,25€ for such an unique service. .. sorry I have to write this here. It makes me very sad !
I think this goes for every donativo on every route. If walkers cannot afford to leave the going rate, they really ought to rethink their trip...it can always be delayed until more money is saved, or spend less days on the route to allow more to be spent each day. No on is forced to walk the camino, and they should not be expecting others to foot the bill of their extended vacation. yes, vacation. I cannot believe someone motivated by religious sacrifice would expect the sacrifice to be paid by someone other than themselves. kind of negates the purpose.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think this goes for every donativo on every route. If walkers cannot afford to leave the going rate, they really ought to rethink their trip...it can always be delayed until more money is saved, or spend less days on the route to allow more to be spent each day. No on is forced to walk the camino, and they should not be expecting others to foot the bill of their extended vacation. yes, vacation. I cannot believe someone motivated by religious sacrifice would expect the sacrifice to be paid by someone other than themselves. kind of negates the purpose.
I totaly agree with you !

Just as an FYI, I am on the Portuguese route now. I started at Lisbon and am now at Tui. Tomorrow, I hope to make it to Redondela, and into Santiago this coming Wednesday.

Earlier this week I had the extreme pleasure of stopping to visit with Fernanda when I passed by Lugar do Corgo, on my walk to Ponte de Lima. Fernanda is as lovely, wonderful, generous and as gracious as ever. It is no wonder Fernanda remains one of the highlights of any Porto to Santiago Camino.

In fact, she did tell me that, increasingly, people are reserving bed space at her private, but donativo albergue several months in advance. I am only stating this as a 'heads up' to any veterans out there with interest in stopping there overnight in future.

I hope this helps.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back