Cathedral Anniversary

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Dec 26, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
It is my understanding that this is the 800th anniversary of the Cathedral in Santiago. Is there any Celebration planned to recognize this milestone? If so, does anyone have knowledge of when that might be?

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This information comes from reading a few Spanish websites, and my Spanish isn't wonderful, so take from it what you will.

On April 21, the king will preside over a ceremony to celebrate the anniversary of the consecration of the cathedral 800 years earlier.

There will be an exhibition about the cathedral and its history, and another about the city of Santiago. I don't know how long these will be around--probably for a while. And there will also be a series of concerts, including the Contemplative Music Festival, and the (regular?) cycle of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of Galicia.

Anna-Marie

mmm042

Oct 12, 2010
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin USA
www.melaniemcmanus.com
VDLP 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
I just wrote a travel article about this that will run in the National Catholic Register. A few points to add to Anna-Marie's info:

*The church’s 1211 consecration will be recreated through a solemn liturgy on Saturday, May 7, incorporating the cathedral’s 12 Crosses of the Consecration.
*The cathedral museum was redone in honor of this celebration, so check that out.
*The new City of Culture is opening -- it's a futuristic building in Santiago that has a bunch of components, like a historical section, theater space, etc.
*As Anna-Marie said, there are lots of exhibitions on the cathedral’s construction, and a wide variety of cathedral concerts.

The PR people for all of the celebrations wouldn't release any specifics until March 15 (even to journalists), so maybe there will be more info online once the 15th rolls around.

Melanie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Dec 26, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
Melanie:

I would be interested in any additional information you come across. I am leaving for Europe on March 21st and am interested in any planned celebrations. I am sure they will attract large crowds and will plan accordingly to avoid if possible.

Thanks,
Joe

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.