• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cathedrals

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I went to live in Spain, I thought it would be head scarves [mantillas] for ladies, and NO bare shoulders. But that is not the case. If you are walking and come across a cathedral or church you'd like to visit, then just GO IN :).
You will be made welcome, and if you look like a pilgrim [backpack etc] you may well get a "Buen camino!" and a smile.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Free in Spain?
So the guy in the priest's cassock in the Pamplona Cathedral who took my money scammed me?
At least he wasn't as expensive as the bloke at St Pauls in London.

Regarding clothes, don't make the mistake of packing clothes for "special occasions." The sight of pilgrims on the Camino dressed in their pants with zipper off legs and quick dry t-shirts is the norm. Nobody will give you a second glance. When entering churches be sure to be respectful--especially if there is a service underway. Don't take flash pictures unless you are sure they are allowed. Otherwise, the locals are more than happy to have you come in, sit down, and gather your thoughts and give thanks to God for safe passage.

As state support to the Spanish church has pretty well disappeared, church authorities are anxious to make sure that historic (and therefore expensive to maintain) churches do not fall down through disrepair. As far as I can recall, I only saw charges for Burgos and Santo Domingo. Villarcazar Sirga charged, IIRC, 3€. There is never a charge if you are attending services.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When visiting historic churches anywhere I have traveled, I am not offended to be asked to pay a fee, or if there is a donation box I put in money. I am only there once and I hope that my small contribution will help the church to be there for future generation to visit.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back