• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cele Valley

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Via Podiensis, Voie d'Arles, Aragonés
I am interested in walking the Célé Valley variant of the Le Puy route -- will be starting in Conques where I left of last year and walk as far as Moissac. I was wondering how the trail markings were switching from the GR65 to to GR651. I've read about a number of people getting lost or back-tracking. . . I 'd also like to know how people felt about this route -- I understand gîtes can be sparce after Figeac along the Célé. Also weather-wise what to expect in September, although I realize it varies year to year. I walked in October last year and ran into a number of gîtes being closed so was thinking of walking earlier this year, although I prefer cooler weather. I understand the traffic drops of significantly after Conques, and will definitely want to contact the gîtes ahead of time. I read somewhere about someone walking along the road instead because of some of the challenges it presented. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked this varient last September (22nd - 27th). We thought signage was good, but still managed to get lost leaving Beduer! It was no problem, as we just walked the road until it connected with the GR. Accommodation was definitely more challenging, as the villages are very small, so we booked two days ahead. We stayed on the GR651 which takes you high up onto the plateaus, and despite the ups and downs, we felt that it was well worth the effort! Day 2 (Espagnac to Marcilhac) was the highlight in our opinion, where you pass by the remains of a fortification built during the 100 Years War, as well as walking through the village of St. Sulphice, with its buildings clinging to the rock face. Another highlight is the Pech-Merle cave, which is near Cabrerets. If you are in reasonable shape then we recommend this route - we are in our early 60's and had no problem. Weather in September was warm, with highs in the low to mid 20's - really lovely!

We walked this varient last September (22nd - 27th). We thought signage was good, but still managed to get lost leaving Beduer! It was no problem, as we just walked the road until it connected with the GR. Accommodation was definitely more challenging, as the villages are very small, so we booked two days ahead. We stayed on the GR651 which takes you high up onto the plateaus, and despite the ups and downs, we felt that it was well worth the effort! Day 2 (Espagnac to Marcilhac) was the highlight in our opinion, where you pass by the remains of a fortification built during the 100 Years War, as well as walking through the village of St. Sulphice, with its buildings clinging to the rock face. Another highlight is the Pech-Merle cave, which is near Cabrerets. If you are in reasonable shape then we recommend this route - we are in our early 60's and had no problem. Weather in September was warm, with highs in the low to mid 20's - really lovely!

We hope to walk this route in September...could you share where you stayed and your stages? Did you visit St. Cirq?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are starting from Le Puy on July 10 and taking the Cele variant. Walking as far as Pamplona. We prefer warm weather to cold and are really hoping the crowds will not be too large. Also working on learning French. I hope the April/May pilgrims will keep us informed of all their highlights on their journey. Buen Camino!

Hello edandjoan! Here are our stages in the Cele and where we stayed:
St. Eulalie - Chambre d'hotes Les Anons du Cele (recommend!)
Marcilhac-sur-Cele - Gite d'etape Accueil St. Pierre
Le Bout du Lieu (just before Cabrerets) Chambre d'hotes Un Jardin dans la Falaise (recommend!)
St. Cirq - Hotel L'Auberge du Sombral
Les Mazuts - Chambre d'hotes Suzanne et Philippe Gohebel

Although St. Cirq was spectacular, it was challenging getting food to take with us as there is no epicerie. Our hotel sold us some bread and cheese, and then we were able to buy sandwiches later on from the one hotel/restaurant in Bouzies.

Enjoy!!
Linda

Thanks Linda!
And you went to Pech Merle...did you walk or take a taxi? And did you book the tour ahead? And if you walked, did you walk onto to St. Cirq? Thanks for taking time to help.
Joan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Linda!
And you went to Pech Merle...did you walk or take a taxi? And did you book the tour ahead? And if you walked, did you walk onto to St. Cirq? Thanks for taking time to help.
Joan
The GR goes right by Pech Merle, so we walked to it - it's a fairly steep climb to it from Cabrerets, but the view is great. We had not booked a tour ahead and consequently could not get one in English unless we waited for quite awhile. They gave us an English guide booklet to use though, and it had all the info we needed. Our tour was at 11am, took about an hour, and then we walked to St. Cirq after that. We also had trouble getting food at Pech Merle- fortified ourselves with a chocolate bar before heading out! We recommend picking up something to eat in Cabrerets before heading to the cave.

The Cele Route is definitely worth the detour. I agree Day 2 was the most beautiful. You are hiking up on La Cause (limestone cliff like plateau) along narrow paths with steep drops to the side. Stunning.

Peche Merle is worth the visit but I personally found it slightly amusing that they tried to call certain markings in the caves the drawing of a woman or a mammoth etc. Grasping at straws slightly if you ask me! Other cave markings / drawings were of course alot more impressive. Myself and the pilgrims I was hiking with dud have a good giggle about it afterwards though. By the way Peche Merle is not recommended if you are very claustrophobic or if you have certain medical issues with the reduced O2 levels etc down there. It does feel slightly uncomfortable in that respect so bear it in mind.

I found accommodation generally very good on this side route but like others it is definitely a good idea to book ahead and definitely at least 2 to 3 days in advance during busier times.

Its worth noting that mobile phone signals are not always good there so you may not be able to phone ahead or make calls when you think you can (from memory I think Espagnac Sainte Eulalie had this issue).

From memory, it may have also been Espagnac Sainte Eulalie that didn't have any shops for food either (I'll edit this later if incorrect). We arrived on a day when the only restaurant in the village was closed and the hostel was booked out. They ended up opening up the restaurant specially for all the pilgrims for the evening meal and breakfast the next day. Plan ahead if you don't want to be caught out food wise.... The gite d'etape communal was not my most favourite place on this route. Well the village is very pretty but unfortunately the hostel was not the best run/organised. Maybe they were having a bad day. At any rate they messed up our booking. We had to wait around for hours before the person running the place turned up (very late) and got everyone sorted. Luckily the weather was good as we had to wait outdoors with nowhere to buy food or get a coffee. I was just relieved to get a bed as it was looking dodgy for a while.

This route is definitely more strenuous than the Le Puy route and the sections on the road tire the legs more so this is worth bearing in mind when planning stages. We ended up taking shortcuts on the road to shorten one or two of the days that were particularly long.

This is where we stayed in May 2014. All as listed in Miam Miam Dodo 2014:
BEDUER: Chambre d'hôte Gite d'etape Nadia et Jean-Pierre Masson. Beautiful new gite. 5 in one room. All single beds. Spotless. Personally I found Mr Masson a little gruff to start. One tough customer! ;) His wife is lovely though and we had a beautiful evening meal with them that evening. A little tricky to find. Tel 05 65 38 12 60)

ESPAGNAC: Communal gite. Tel 05 65 11 42 66). Mixed standard of rooms. Didn't come across as being particularly well run but it was fine. Limited food options in this village (no shops and only one restaurant so enquire when booking and come prepared!). No phone signal in village. Book other accommodation in later villages advance of arriving here...

By the way the stretch between Espagnac to Marcilhac was the highlight of the entire Le Puy route for me. Stunning hiking up on La Cause.

MARCILHAC SUR CELE: Gite d'etape Accueil Saint Pierre (new and not listed in MMD) tel 05 81240630. Double, triple or 4 person rooms available. Tip: Rooms on top floor have single beds if you prefer them to bunks. Lovely place. Friendly owners. Options to cook yourself if I remember correctly or DP €34. We took DP option.

CABRERETS: Gite du Barry. Tel 05 65 22 91 79. Nice owner. Gite a bit neglected but fine. Her restaurant La Roue next door to gite is great for food and a cold beer. We ate at restaurant O'Louise as the people I was walking with were on a tighter budget than me. The food or wine was not the best quality so recommend you eat/drink at La Roue instead. Its from here you walk to Peche Merle which is on the GR 651. Book ahead so you get the earliest English tour available. Steep climb out of village to the caves so allow extra time than you think you'll need for the distance to get there on time.

BOUZIES: Gite Mr Guiral. Tel 05 65 31 28 43). I shared a tiny twin room but kitchen was great for cooking communal meal and owner had some food,beer and wine available for sale if we needed it. Nice owner. Stove in kitchen dining room lovely. €19 b&b.

PASTURAT: Le Relais du Pasturat. Tel: 05 65 31 44 94. Lovely rooms in upper floor of 'barn'. Clean and simply furnished. Nice area to sit outside in garden. Can buy beers off owner etc and they provided a lovely evening meal. DP €33. We booked 3 beds in room for 4 people.

Ok that's my list. The MMD has a good list of places to stay. Its not a full list but it will help you on your way.

Last edited:
By the way St Cirq was fully booked out when we tried to book there so we ended up in Pasturat instead. I recommend you book the full route a few days ahead to avoid disappointment.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Finished walking the Cele Valley on 11th September. I would recommend it to everyone. The weather was fabulous and the walk is amazing. Each day there was something special to observe.
Accommodation needed to be booked ahead as there were many large groups of French walkers on the route. However, we always had a place to lay our heads and we met many wonderful people.
Our accommodation:
Gite d'etape communal St Eulalie, Espagnac
Gite acceuil Saint Pierre, Marcilhac-sir-Cele
Refuge du Cele, Cabrerets
Auberge du Sombral, St-Cirq-Lapopie
Le Relais de Pasturat, Pasturat
Sharon

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back