A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Changes to rules for the Compostela from A Coruña

CHANGES TO THE RULES FOR RECEIVING THE COMPOSTELA FROM A CORUÑA
Historians and Camino experts have argued for years with the Cathedral that pilgrims departing from Coruña and walking to Santiago should receive the Compostela although the distance is less that 100 kms.
Recently a delegation of associations walked the route and agreed with this argument. The local authorities also backed the change.
Today the Chapter of Canons have announced their decision:
Pilgrims who walk the balance of the distance (25 kms) in their own country or area where they live and then walk to Santiago may receive the Compostela.
Residents of Coruña itself who walk to Santiago for spiritual reasons may receive the Compostela.
All other pilgrims who walk from Coruña to Santiago may receive a certificate from the Pilgrims' Office.

http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/es/respuesta-cabildo-compostela-desde-coruña

Respuesta del Cabildo de la Catedral de Santiago a la petición para conceder la Compostela a los peregrinos que vienen al sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago desde A…
CATEDRALDESANTIAGO.ES

oursonpolaire

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
I have visions of the look on my local barista's face at Starbucks if I went in asking for a stamp. Only to be matched by the look on the girl at McDonald's 25 km later.
You would likely have no trouble in Québec, as my little yellow arrow pin has been recognized in Starbucks, Java U, and the SAQ. I imagine that they all have sellos!

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
CHANGES TO THE RULES FOR RECEIVING THE COMPOSTELA FROM A CORUÑA
Looking at my very first Credential from 2009, I see that I walked 72 kilometers in the U.K. from Exeter to the Ferryport at Plymouth. The Sellos are from Exeter Cathedral, Chudleigh Post office, Liverton Post Office, Buckfast Abbey (includes the personal signature of Abbot David), Sportsman's Inn Ivybridge and Brittany Ferries at Plymouth: - Ah . . the memories :)
The only place I had a problem was at Exeter Cathedral !!!! Found one eventually in the Gift Shop. In the U.K. all Post Offices have a Sello, so if all else fails they are the places to ask.
Sadly I don't know of any ferries between England and Coruña, so we can't follow in the steps of our mediaeval forebears.:(
Going by air does not seem quite the same somehow.
Thank you Johnnie for your long-time perseverance in the cause :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

Last edited:

rometimed

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP: May/June 2015; English Route Nov 2015; Lycian Way Oct 2015; Coast to Coast Aug/Sep 2015; West Highland Way July 2015; Hadrians Wall June 2015; Westweg Jul/Aug 2015..... ..... .... ... .. . SJPdP May/June 2020; A Coruna 2020... ... .. . SJPdP May/June 2025... .. . SJPdP May/June 2030... .. . SJPdP May/June 2035... .. .
I'll probably due this walk in 2020. Don't really care about the paper. :) Have done Ferrol and loved it.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
What I'm happiest about is the recognition of those foot pilgrims who actually live closer to the Cathedral than the 100 KM rule. They've been unfairly discriminated against for far too long, and for no valid reasons.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC march-may 2015
I was not sure which of the A Coruña threads to reply to, but this one seems the most logical.

At the recently concluded American Pilgrims on the Camino Gathering we had two representatives from A Coruña. They brought with them a signed letter from the Cathedral stating this starting point was valid for earning a Compostela- providing you could prove you had walked the other 25 km prior to arrival.

For those pilgrims in the USA my suggestion to them, and the APOC board, was this- If you are a member of a chapter with a stamp use that as your first one, and if you are going to do your walking in a National Park have them stamp it for your #2. Most US National Parks have stamps for the "Park Pasport" book.

I asked a member of the APOC Board to post the letter on their website. Hopefully, between the letter and the stamps, things will go smoothly at the Pilgrims Office.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC march-may 2015
@JohnnieWalker or anyone else in the know- When filling out the first page of your credential, where it asks for "Starting Point" do you put A Coruña or your home trail? Getting ready to do this with my daughter or I would not even worry, but I would like her to receive a Compostela.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
@JohnnieWalker or anyone else in the know- When filling out the first page of your credential, where it asks for "Starting Point" do you put A Coruña or your home trail? Getting ready to do this with my daughter or I would not even worry, but I would like her to receive a Compostela.
As you need to have walked at least 25kms at home before starting in A Coruña then you would need to put the home start point and also have the stamps to prove it. If there is a problem with places to obtain stamps try your local Post Offices, cathedral, shops etc as you walk. PO stamps are also dated which is useful.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%