• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheese

Haraldf

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2024
Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?

The place to go to is the Mercado de Abastos.
On our recent Camino we bought a decent amount of chorizo and jamon. Also cheeses available.
Different stalls. I always follow the locals and see which stall / seller they prefer.

Last edited:
El Cortes Ingles in Santiago. A quality department store chain Portugal and Spain and supermercado. "A food and wine boutique." Rua Restollal 50.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On our recent Camino we bought a decent amount of chorizo and jamon. Also cheeses available.
Different stalls. I always follow the locals and see which stall / seller they prefer.

Thanks you very much - appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think that in most supers in Galicia you have Arzua - Ulloa and Tetilla. Less frequent are San Simon ( smoked) and Cebreiro ( fresh). All of them are made with cow milk. Those are the four " denominaciones de origen" for Galician cheeses.

I think that in most supers in Galicia you have Arzua - Ulloa and Tetilla. Less frequent are San Simon ( smoked) and Cebreiro ( fresh). All of them are made with cow milk. Those are the four " denominaciones de origen" for Galician cheeses.

Supermercado Froiz has San Simon in stock.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Mercado de Abastos is definitely the place to go. It is a beautiful group of buildings with an enormous range of cheeses , meats, fish, bread and other things. The stall holders are very friendly and happy to help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Haraldf, I see you are in Norway, Skal! 🇳🇴 I don't know Norway's regulations but I can definitely echo @Vacajoe 's caution for the US, having once tried to bring vacuum-sealed Iberico ham back from Burgos. We read about it and thought it would be fine. It was not. US customs agents still ask my husband and me, "So, are you carrying ham with you this time?" That confiscation is part of our permanent record now. This was by plane of course, and maybe it is different in Norway or by other modes of transport :)

Both Canada and the US are very very strict about meat. Check on the official customs website before buying. I have found the cheese joints at the Abastos markets excellent; they likely have a similar opinion of me as I usually pick up about 100euro or so of cheese. I tell them that I have just done the Primitivo or del Norte and want to take the flavours of Galicia and Asturias back to Canada to comfort me. They will usually vacuum wrap it for a small sum. Canadian customs were primarily concerned that I was not going to resell any and I assured them that nobody has a chance of getting a slice of anything except at my table as my guest.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I love the artisan cheeses of

Manxares da Chaira S.L., 27 Rua de Caldeireria​

right in the old town centre. Lovely people too.

I love the artisan cheeses of

Manxares da Chaira S.L., 27 Rua de Caldeireria​

right in the old town centre. Lovely people too.

If you do an internetsearch for Manxares you will find this website.
Streetaddress is the same though, but different name on the site.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, if in Galicia, and looking for cheese, it has to be Queso Tetilla .... 😉

Well, if in Galicia, and looking for cheese, it has to be Queso Tetilla .... 😉

I' am Galician and didn' t know that legend. At the end of the article there is a photo of San Simon da Costa cheeses. Despite its name it is not produced somewhere on the coast. Its production area includes places like Abadín, Vilalba and Baamonde ( Begonte) on Camino del Norte.

I bought a round of Arzua Ulloa in a lovely little shop that only stocked a few foods from Arzua.
I believe the people who owned it made the cheese themselves.
It was in the old town and was a tiny shop, on the left walking from the direction of the Cathedral.
This was in 2009, so the shop may no longer be there.
The cheese was delicious and highly prized by the French family we stayed with on the way home.

I’m hoping @Pelegrin might know the shop and whether it’s still in existence.

Ah, the memory cogs just moved; it was called Casa de Queso.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd recommend Lolita Cardelle in the Mercado de Abastos. The proprietress Dora is both lovely and knowledgeable when it comes to Galician cheeses, and she carries both classic DOP stuff (Arzúa, Tetilla, etc) as well as more modern, prize-winning local cheeses like Da Josefa, Marianne and Savel. Second @Zen Librarian too for Prestes on Caldeirería - they carry a particularly great San Simon.

I’m hoping @Pelegrin might know the shop and whether it’s still in existence.

Ah, the memory cogs just moved; it was called Casa de Queso.
No, sorry I don' t know that shop. I visited Arzua only a couple of times in my life. When I visit my homealdea ( not far from Betanzos) I always buy fresh cheese with no brand in a farm near. I like that cheese made of milk from Frisian cows only because it has less fat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

We are so excited for our 4 day stay in Santiago post Camino. Plus our lodging is around the corner from the Mercado!

The Mercado for cheeses, if traveling to the USA you are not allowed to bring in meat products or fruit. They will be confiscated, cheese is ok.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Mercado for cheeses, if traveling to the USA you are not allowed to bring in meat products or fruit. They will be confiscated, cheese is ok.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back