• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chiggers

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I've never heard of these little blighers before! I know about them now!! They are called Trombiculidae can are often called chiggers... or berry bugs, harvest mites, red bugs, scrub-itch mites and aoutas in France).

After my walk on Thursday I developed 27 blistery red hot 'worst itch ever' bites! ARGHHH... they are horrible! So if you are walking now take care in longer grass! This is the first time I've been bitten so maybe the wet summer has been good for chiggers? :(:(:(:confused:

This if from wikipedia...

Trombiculid mites go through a lifecycle of egg, larva, nymph, and adult.[15] The larval mites feed on the skin cells of animals. The six-legged parasitic larva feeds on a large variety of creatures, including humans, rabbits, toads, box turtles, quail, and even some insects. After crawling onto their hosts, they inject digestive enzymes into the skin that break down skin cells. They do not actually "bite", but instead form a hole in the skin called a stylostome and chew up tiny parts of the inner skin, thus causing severe irritation and swelling. The severe itching is accompanied by red, pimple-like bumps (papules) or hives and skin rash or lesions on a sun-exposed area. For humans, itching usually occurs after the larvae detach from the skin.[16]

After feeding on their hosts, the larvae drop to the ground and become nymphs, then mature into adults which have eight legs and are harmless to humans. In the postlarval stage, they are not parasitic and feed on plant material. The females lay three to eight eggs in a clutch, usually on a leaf or under the roots of a plant, and die by autumn.[16]

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have had 3-5 chigger bites in a row a few different times, usually located in the waistband area of my underwear. They leave raised red welts and itch like crazy for at least a week. The last time I got them was while picking wild raspberries and walking deep into the bramble patch. Never again will I be doing that! :(

... They leave raised red welts and itch like crazy for at least a week. :(

A WEEK :eek::confused: So I have another 5 days :(

My spots turned into blisters, like chicken pox and now the skin has broken... so I have 27 open sores :( My poor feet feel sore and swollen. I'm singing tonight and can only really wear my Teva sandals... so picture me in a my long sequin dress... hiding bare feet and teva sandals :D

I've never heard of these little blighers before! I know about them now!! They are called Trombiculidae can are often called chiggers... or berry bugs, harvest mites, red bugs, scrub-itch mites and aoutas in France).

After my walk on Thursday I developed 27 blistery red hot 'worst itch ever' bites! ARGHHH... they are horrible! So if you are walking now take care in longer grass! This is the first time I've been bitten so maybe the wet summer has been good for chiggers? :(:(:(:confused:

Trombiculid mites go through a lifecycle of egg, larva, nymph, and adult.[15] The larval mites feed on the skin cells of animals. The six-legged parasitic larva feeds on a large variety of creatures, including humans, rabbits, toads, box turtles, quail, and even some insects. After crawling onto their hosts, they inject digestive enzymes into the skin that break down skin cells. They do not actually "bite", but instead form a hole in the skin called a stylostome and chew up tiny parts of the inner skin, thus causing severe irritation and swelling. The severe itching is accompanied by red, pimple-like bumps (papules) or hives and skin rash or lesions on a sun-exposed area. For humans, itching usually occurs after the larvae detach from the skin.[16]

After feeding on their hosts, the larvae drop to the ground and become nymphs, then mature into adults which have eight legs and are harmless to humans. In the postlarval stage, they are not parasitic and feed on plant material. The females lay three to eight eggs in a clutch, usually on a leaf or under the roots of a plant, and die by autumn.[16]
Thanks for that. Pheeew thought I was reading part of the script from 'Alien' or the 'Fly' "be afraid be very afraid"

My spots turned into blisters, like chicken pox and now the skin has broken... so I have 27 open sores :( My poor feet feel sore and swollen. I'm singing tonight and can only really wear my Teva sandals... so picture me in a my long sequin dress... hiding bare feet and teva sandals :D
Yes, I certainly sympathize with your situation. Mine itched so bad that I scratched and scratched until they turned into open sores. Not fun and the welts seem to linger a long time! I was left with discolored scars lasting for several months. :eek:

They itch because the critter is still in you chowing down on your flesh! Bug spray on your legs, where they usually hop on board keeps them on bay Those that sneak past, I borrow my wife's nail polish (clear, thank you) and dab it on. Evidently the red bugs need an air passage and the nail polish covers that over. You are left with the chigger still in you but they are quickly absorbed.

Hate them little bas....., they lurk in the underbrush, even creosote, out west and in the Spanish moss in the south. Nasty, nasty, nasty!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Les,I had never heard of these blighters until I was unfortunate to suffer an attack in September.I volunteer in a gite, on the Le Puy route ,in the Lot Valley
and have been doing so for 5 years.The pharmacist told me they are rife in that part of France.I thought they were hives.
She advised me to use Marseille soap and plenty of it ,gave me a cream for insect bites and told me the red spots would begin to disappear after 10 days.The Marseille soap was very effective.The old fashioned remedies seem to work best..I have to add with great restraint I didn't itch them..

No hopping around tonight Colleen.

Hope your feet will be better soon .

Wish you well,Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On in 30 minutes... sporting my tevas. I'm not scratching because the skin is so tender. One looks like the skin is blistering again around the original site... oh the things we walkers suffer :confused:

chig.jpg

Last edited:
I'm feeling very itchy just reading about this Hope the performance went well. I guess at least it will take your mind off your problem for a while.

Here in Texas we've found clear nail polish is the best remedy for the little buggers. Just brush it on top and a little bit around the bite. Stops the itching pretty quick. Of course you can use colored polish if you can find some to match your togs .
Wishing you a bug free Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the South we refer to them as "no see'ums" They are so tiny. I have found a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol held on them for a few minutes helps to kill them or at least seems to. I like it better than the nail polish. Looks like the OP got to scratching on them pretty good. They do like hanging out in the berry patches. Hate getting those little guys.

They itch because the critter is still in you chowing down on your flesh! Bug spray on your legs, where they usually hop on board keeps them on bay Those that sneak past, I borrow my wife's nail polish (clear, thank you) and dab it on. Evidently the red bugs need an air passage and the nail polish covers that over. You are left with the chigger still in you but they are quickly absorbed.

Hate them little bas....., they lurk in the underbrush, even creosote, out west and in the Spanish moss in the south. Nasty, nasty, nasty!
I used to believe what you have posted and I had put the clear nail polish on the welts to try and "suffocate" them as it seemed to make sense. I always wondered why it never seemed to help me until I found out they do not burrow in, but insert a "prong" and inject fluid.
@LesBrass, I think your wikipedia search is correct and since nail polish never helped me one iota I believe it is just another "wives tale" propogated by well meaning people.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Best solution to chiggers is to suffocate them. The little bump will form telling you where they have infested you. Paint over spot with nail polish. This will suffocate them and they will die. Dead chiggers are not gnawing on you the host and thus no more itching.

They won't suffocate overnight and may need a second application, but dead they will be in a couple of days.

Poor soul suffering for twelve days of itching. No need for mortification other than blisters out there.

In the South we refer to them as "no see'ums" They are so tiny. I have found a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol held on them for a few minutes helps to kill them or at least seems to. I like it better than the nail polish. Looks like the OP got to scratching on them pretty good. They do like hanging out in the berry patches. Hate getting those little guys.
In the midwest USA, "nosee'ums" are a very tiny black gnat that fly around your exposed head and extremities and bite, but then fly away. Chiggers, to my understanding are nearly invisible and do not fly.

In the midwest USA, "nosee'ums" are a very tiny black gnat that fly around your exposed head and extremities and bite, but then fly away. Chiggers, to my understanding are nearly invisible and do not fly.

Funny how a silly little word can change in meaning. They are "no see'ums" here as one never sees them. They lurk in the bushes and weeds and in a day or so after working outside clearing bush or picking berries the red itchy spots appear.

Funny how a silly little word can change in meaning. They are "no see'ums" here as one never sees them. They lurk in the bushes and weeds and in a day or so after working outside clearing bush or picking berries the red itchy spots appear.
You are so right about various words and their meanings. Your above comment is a perfect example of a new thread I just read on the forum titled "The trouble with quotes and translations". Take a look! :)

That's what no-seeums are in Canada (at least in east coast Canada...).

When I first started to read this post, and I got to the incredibly awful itching symptom, I equated it to the bites of black flies, no-seeums and mosquitoes here. I was going to type that putting toothpaste (not the gel, but the paste) on the bite would help take away the itch.

Then I read further that the chigger buries itself under the skin, and my own skin immediately began to crawl. Eek! Ack! Ewww! Yuck! So I decided not to type that toothpaste will take away the itch. I will type instead, here, here is the bottle of vino. Take your mind off the little blighters!!

My next Camino walks will find me walking in complete plastic....no chigger bites then, hahaha! (Hmmmm...I guess I'd be the ultimate bag rustler then, wouldn't I, when I dressed in the morning in my plastic togs! *Sigh* Back to conventional clothing...)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I lived in Kansas as a kid and if we played out doors chiggers were a given. lighter fluid, stove fuel or similar substances will get rid of them immediately, they back out and fall off. We always played in short pants and was in the country. We would wipe coal oil on our feet and legs as we were going out. One soak would last all day with no chiggers and it came off with our evening bath. By the way all of the remedies stink.

Ha Ha... I chuckled whilst reading some of these replies... sorry if I gave you the itchies :D

I ended up taking anti-histamine for 3 days as the swelling wouldn't go down and the initial blisters ended up with blisters on blisters... so think I had a bit of a reaction. If you saw my feet now you would think I had chicken pox. But my feet are back to normal and all is well!

I did wonder, if I had been walking on the camino, perhaps I might have considered this a bed bug attack? I've lived in France for ten years and walked two autumn caminos and never had this before... I think quite possibly I would have thought bed bugs? But the pharmacy put me right... and my feet are ready for Portugal now! :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back