• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing the right part of the Camino

MaxiC

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
Hello, next summer we want to cycle a part of the camino, somewhere between Bilbao and Gijon. But we don't know which part is the nicest. It shouldn't be too difficult, since we are riding with our two kids of 10 and 8, but we do love the scenery. Hope someone can help me pick the nicest part on the camino. Somewhere between 30 and 40 km. Maybe we will do this two days in a row.
Thanks in advance!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Maxi
There aren't many bicigrinos on the forum, which is probably why you haven't had many responses yet. But I'm sure they'll free-wheel along eventually...
As a walker I'd say there's a practical issue here - much of this section of coast carries a major national route, and also sometimes an autoroute, pressed quite close to the actual coast, by the adjacent hills. As a walker you sometimes go off and on the national route, but then also have the option to take small coastal paths in between. Most of these aren't suitable for road cyclists, so in these situations you would have to negotiate the main roads. However the is one very pretty section where the hills have receded and the main road goes further away from the coast, and this is what I recommend... the camino from Laredo to Santander. It is relatively flat and the road cycling will be on small quiet roads. This has the added adventure of two trips on ferry boats (to Santona and to Santander) some fabulous beaches and also lovely cliffs on the coastal option from Guemes. Guemes is one of the most famous albergues on the Norte and I feel sure you'd all get a warm welcome there.
I recommend you have a look at Mapy.cz (select outdoor map option to see the camino) and also Gronze for these two stages.

If you don't mind hills, if you go east along the coast from Bilbao the scenery is stunning, but the climbs just as much.
The roads are pretty quiet and motorists expect to see cyclists on it.
The Basque country is very very hilly and challenging for a cyclist.
I can't comment on following the camino towards Gijon

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back