• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cicerone Guide Question

travelingteacher

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte (2013)
Well, since the Cicerone guide was not available for April 30 on Amazon I was able to order it from Superbookdeals for just about the same price and they have already shipped it. Just wondering if anyone else is planning to use this guide or has a seen a copy of it yet?

Regards,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
travelingteacher
It came out earlier here in the UK. I used it recently and met a few others with it as well. David, one of the two authors, regularly comments on the forum.
My view? it's pretty good. I have a preference for guides with maps and it has these. So although they are really small scale you do have the potential to work out whether you are lost or not when you haven't seen a yellow arrow for ten minutes or so. And it's good for understanding the options where there are alternative paths/road that you might want to take - and there are a few of these on the Norte.
A few times I tried to follow written instructions and wasn't very successful, but you don't generally need these as the waymarking is good.
The accommodation listings are reasonable and there've been a few updates on posts here that you can supplement them with.
I think there are a few items that could be improved - and probably will be when people feed back comments. I've only walked the first half so far, but I'll be taking it with me when I go back to finish the job.
Cheers, tom

Thank you so much for your reply. I am used to following Wingfoot and AWOL...lol. I was happy to be able to get the guide. Cutting and pasting from mundicamino just wasn't going to work out...lol. I been keeping up with the update page. What a great reference! So appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
travelingteacher,

I'm sorry for the challenges with getting a copy. I confess that I have refreshed Amazon.com a dozen times per day every day this week. Not only are the hard copies supposed to be available now, but the Kindle edition as well. I've emailed the folks at Cicerone to see what the delay is, but I imagine it's more on Amazon's end. If anyone is wondering about the lag in publishing dates in the UK and US, the issue is that Cicerone only ships to Amazon US twice per year, as the shipping freight on something like that is quite large.

I hope that you're able to get it through the other supplier promptly. If you continue to have problems, let me know.

Tom, I appreciate all of your feedback. While there have been some positive reviews, the feedback that really matters is the stuff that comes from people who have used it on the road. This summer, we'll have our student group using it as well, so that we can see firsthand how people might run into trouble with it at times. It's a golden opportunity for them to turn the tables on me and criticize my work for a change! We'll post their thoughts here as well.

NO worries! it has been shipped from somewhere and that is what matters. I couldn't imagine the dedication it must take to write a guidebook, but I sure enjoy following them. I am looking forward to diving in and getting lost within the pages while planning! Thank you for providing this resource! I am most appreciative!

Regards,

My Cicerone guidebook came today!!!!! It is so beautiful I don't know how I am going to rip the pages out. So thankful to the authors from providing this resource!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too have just received the Cicerone Guide and am happy with it. I bought the Confraternity books also but they have no maps and I don't do well with just written guide so I won't be packing them. I am planning to walk in September and I really hope the rain has stopped by then as I wasn't planning on bringing a jacket, just a poncho.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.