• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather and Difficulty Questions

dromoreboy

Hi all,
I’ve walked the Francés twice and I’d love to have a go at Del Norte. I’m thinking of starting from Irun in the last week of September. Given that it’s the north of Spain, is this a bad time of year with the high risk of rain? Also, I haven’t done any hill training yet and I believe the first day from Irun is very difficult!
Thanks in advance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Also, I haven’t done any hill training yet and I believe the first day from Irun is very difficult!
I think lack of hill training would be the biggest concern. It's more than just the first day that has lots of climbs - there are a lot of ups and downs through to Bilbao. The WeatherSpark website is a good place to look for historical weather patterns. It looks like the end of September - October isn't any worse for rain than May when I walked this year. I was probably lucky, but I only had less than one day of rain on the Norte.

Here's a screen shot of the precipitation in Santander

Screenshot 2023-09-14 140140.png

Hi all,
I’ve walked the Francés twice and I’d love to have a go at Del Norte. I’m thinking of starting from Irun in the last week of September. Given that it’s the north of Spain, is this a bad time of year with the high risk of rain? Also, I haven’t done any hill training yet and I believe the first day from Irun is very difficult!
Thanks in advance.
Hi there. I'm currently in the camino del norte on day 5. From Australia we dont have hills like this, however what has helped is walking sticks , walking at your own pace and taking regular breaks. There a lots of hills and very steep ones but it has been worth it. And yes it has rained but it doesn't take away the beauty of this walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,
Thanks in advance.
I think it depends on how generally fit you are. We are all different. I did the Norte a couple of years back and it felt fine, even the first day. No one I met had done training. I am at best of average fitness, 57 years old, with dodgy knees. I do a lot of walking everyday 15-20k steps just walking around, and I don’t drive a car so maybe that helps.

It was dry the vast majority of time so I won’t comment on weather.

Last edited:
Weather is like Russian roulette at the moment, however, I normally spend several weeks in NW Spain including the coast in Sept/Oct over the past 10 years and have generally been very lucky with the weather with no prolonged periods of rubbish weather - quite the contrary really in that it's generally been still beach weather at end of October!

Hi all,
Thanks in advance.
The first week is rough as hell. I’m doing it now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,
Thanks in advance.
Completed del Norte mid June, used Strava most days to record progress. To give an indication of hill climbing, overall we walked up and down nearly two Mt Everests! Poles are essential. Read any weather forecast with a grain of salt! Would we do it again? Absolutely!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,
Thanks in advance.
I walked the Norte starting the last week in October 2019. That happened to be an extremely rainy year in northern Spain--mudslides on the trail, walking paths that were like stream beds, and areas of the trail that were under water. The locals were helpful by warning us of washed out trail ahead and recommending alternative routes. It took me 33 days from Irún to Santiago and it rained 31 of those days. I lived in my poncho almost the entire way. I had just turned 70 that year so the walk was a bit more strenuous for me that on a prior Camino four years earlier. While the weather and steep terrain made the trek more challenging, I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. Plenty of time for dry shoes when I returned home!

It's less about the uphills you can power through and more about the downhills. There were a few downhills, fortunately without too much traffic, that I serpentined down to save my knees! At least 1 pole is a must if you haven't trained.

IMG_0656.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Norte starting the last week in October 2019. That happened to be an extremely rainy year in northern Spain--mudslides on the trail, walking paths that were like stream beds, and areas of the trail that were under water. The locals were helpful by warning us of washed out trail ahead and recommending alternative routes. It took me 33 days from Irún to Santiago and it rained 31 of those days. I lived in my poncho almost the entire way. I had just turned 70 that year so the walk was a bit more strenuous for me that on a prior Camino four years earlier. While the weather and steep terrain made the trek more challenging, I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. Plenty of time for dry shoes when I returned home!
Wow! This is my worst nightmare (LOTS of rain) but I love your positive attitude. My husband and I are 71 and start in Irun Sept 30. We've done several long distance hikes around the world but this is a long one. (I walked the full Camino Frances in 2017 solo). We've planned 42 days with 3 rest days for this hike. There will be a few 19-20 mile days which we had hoped to break up but....it's a tough plan. I'm looking forward to our reward at the end of each day...being outside, eating great food, meeting new people and drinking wonderful wine.
Any other tips you have will be welcome. Buen Camino.

Wow! This is my worst nightmare (LOTS of rain) but I love your positive attitude. My husband and I are 71 and start in Irun Sept 30. We've done several long distance hikes around the world but this is a long one. (I walked the full Camino Frances in 2017 solo). We've planned 42 days with 3 rest days for this hike. There will be a few 19-20 mile days which we had hoped to break up but....it's a tough plan. I'm looking forward to our reward at the end of each day...being outside, eating great food, meeting new people and drinking wonderful wine.
Any other tips you have will be welcome. Buen Camino.
I don't think you need any other tips - your attitude is perfect for what I hope will be an amazing adventure for you both.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.