• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cizur Menor and Zariquiegui albergues open? Closed?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Hello All! I am trying to determine if the Albergue La Orden de Malta at the entrance to Cizur Menor, is open or closed. I tried calling and sending an email but no response.

I am wondering the same about San Andres hostel in Zariquiegui.

If you have current information I'd appreciate a reply! Gracias!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello All! I am trying to determine if the Albergue La Orden de Malta at the entrance to Cizur Menor, is open or closed. I tried calling and sending an email but no response.

I am wondering the same about San Andres hostel in Zariquiegui.

If you have current information I'd appreciate a reply! Gracias!
Zizur It opens on May 21st , so it should be open . You can contact on navarra@ordendemalta.es
San Andres , it should be open http://www.alberguezariquiegui.com/

Zizur It opens on May 21st , so it should be open . You can contact on navarra@ordendemalta.es
San Andres , it should be open http://www.alberguezariquiegui.com/
This is the response I received from Malta at the email below, I'll try the one you have
our message to zabaldika@rscj.es couldn't be delivered.
The group zabaldika only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list.
Office 365zabaldika
SenderAction Required
Sender not allowed

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
https://www.alberguezariquiegui.com/contacto/
The only contact info on the San Andres hostel website is a phone number. I'm in the US and hoping for an email or Whatsapp. I appreciate the response!
I am not sure that I understand your question. Their website shows only their telephone number starting with 948 - so that's a landline. Gronze shows also their mobile phone number but when I enter it into WhatsApp it says "Sólo llamadas de urgencia" so I presume that they don't want this to be used for requests. Gronze says that this albergue is open from 1 May to 15 October. Do you just want an additional confirmation of their opening period or make already a reservation and wouldn't that a bit early given that you are not yet on the Camino?

This is the response I received from Malta at the email below, I'll try the one you have.

[y]our message to zabaldika@rscj.es couldn't be delivered.
The group zabaldika only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list.
Who do you wish to contact - the parochial albergue of Zabaldika before Pamplona or the Pilgrim Albergue of the Orden de Malta in Cizur Menor after Pamplona? Again, opening period and contact details, including mobile phone numbers for contact via WhatsApp, are on Gronze who are usually pretty up to date. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kathar - I really appreciate your response and the info you provided!
I am just trying to see what are options are likely to be available between Zabaldika and Uterga (other than Iruna). For some reason I am getting conflicting info depending upon the resource. It seems both Albergues in Muruz...sorry I don't have the correct spelling.... Are closed. Sorry if my question was confusing. It is the Malta albergue I was trying to contact but it seems Lynn has definitively answered my question - it's open despite some sources that indicate otherwise.

If I do need to stay in Iruna it affects the timing possible meeting with a friend down the road. But there are always buses or taxi.

Lynn - good to know that both are open. Thanks for posting. I'm grateful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And again, when you scroll down to the bottom of this webpage, you see: Ficha actualizada en: 02/07/2021 !!!

Whether the Federation have not updated their info about this albergue or whether they did and just did not update the date of the update ... :rolleyes: ... I would not put much faith in it. And fwiw, I sent an email to the Orden de Malta albergue in Cizur Menor and got a reply within a few hours: They are unfortunately closed today but will be open again tomorrow.

Frankly, and don't get me wrong, if I were interested in staying in these non-commercial albergues that are staffed by volunteers or run by parishes or similar I'd just wait until I am actually within walking distance before I'd contact them. And as I said and others have recommended, I'd go by the information on Gronze.com to stay up to date.

As far as I know, neither albergue takes reservations if that's why you are trying to contact them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No reservations. I just wanted to know if they were open. It seems that some in that general area have closed. So Gronze is the most up to date?

Yes, best to wait. Thank you!

Their website shows only their telephone number starting with 948 - so that's a landline.
Out of curiosity, what is the way to tell from a phone number whether it is mobile or land line? It will be useful to know so I don't end up trying to WhatsApp a landline. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back