• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cleaning Altus?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I have had a few Altuses (Alti?) in my time but been lucky enought that I never actually used them enough that I would need to clean them as such, I just turned them inside out and aired them or let the rain rinse them. However I got my new Altus out the other day and decided it needed a clean, while I had Nikwax tech wash in the house. I put one lightweight Altus (polyester), one Ferrino Hiker (polyamide) and one Goretex jacket in with half dose of tech wash, and rinsed well after. But the Altus now looks very worn on the inside, like the inside coating has been compromised. It looks kinda milky in places.
Does anyone know enough about Altuses, polyester or tech wash to tell me if the poncho should still be waterproof? I can do a quick test and it seems OK, but I worry that the seams might not be fully waterproof anymore? Or am I worrying for nothing? How do others clean their ponchos? Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ouch!
Our Rohan ponchos can be refreshed by ironing - very carefully. Not too hot and opened out round the board, not flat and folded together. The inside is likely to stick together otherwise maybe. I would not dare wash them unless by hand.
Can you try out the poncho under the shower? If it leaks then maybe a cool iron (as for the Rohan) will stick the lining back together. Seam tape is cheap I think if the seams are still a problem.
Hope you do find a solution.

@Tia Valeria - thank you, that makes sense. It looks like the scrunching up in the machine (only 30 degree wash) has crumpled it and bruised the backing if that makes sense. So yes, a cold iron might be just the thing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Tia Valeria - thank you, that makes sense. It looks like the scrunching up in the machine (only 30 degree wash) has crumpled it and bruised the backing if that makes sense. So yes, a cold iron might be just the thing!
I set my iron on '1 synthetics' and it was hot enough.

@Tia Valeria and others who might be curious about the ironing Altus thing - I did, and it worked! Now I have to admit I didn't even attempt anything until I had bagged a spare, which arrived today, so out the iron came. I did as you said and set it on 1 for synthetics, with the outside up and the Altus open, and with slow and patient determination I did see an improvement. However, I am not a very patient person unless I am on the Camino, so I took a chance and turned up the heat to 2 for silk ... and then tried it on the inside hem first of all. No burn, no melt, all was well, but I had to be a lot quicker and more careful. The milky bruising that looked like the inside coating coming away, was soon fixed, but if I kept the iron on the material too long the inside started getting a bit sticky. Doesn't seem to have done any harm. I am thinking this might fix peeling water repellent coating on packs too? My (well, my husband's now) Altus looks so brand new and freshly ironed that I am putting off packing it away in its pouch! Thanks again for the brilliant tip, and good luck to anyone else who attempts it.

I am really pleased that it worked so well for you. I have gently done our Rohan ponchos each year since Rohan recommended it for ensuring our ponchos stayed waterproof, but I did offer the suggestion with some trepidation. :):)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also checked the label and it does say no ironing, so clearly this is a better-safe-than-sorry bit of advice. The Altus I ironed is a 100% polyester Rainseries with a coating on the inside. @Tia Valeria, what material is your Rohan poncho? Might be good to know for anyone reading this and wanting to try it. Thanks again!

I also checked the label and it does say no ironing, so clearly this is a better-safe-than-sorry bit of advice. The Altus I ironed is a 100% polyester Rainseries with a coating on the inside. @Tia Valeria, what material is your Rohan poncho? Might be good to know for anyone reading this and wanting to try it. Thanks again!
Our ponchos are the old style green ones sold as a 'jungle cape'. Bought in 2008/9. They are rectangular poncho style without 'sleeves'.
Later styles are a different material (and colours) and have small sleeves. I don't think that they could be ironed, but like the Altus it might be worth a try on a small area if the item is already badly damaged.

The coating is often Poly Urethane [ PU] on the label . It is usually spayed onto the insides of packs after manufacture , in this way it also seals the seams and other stitching it adheres mechanically by wrapping around fibres .
Age and high temperatures can cause it to peel off , it looks like sunburnt skin as it comes off in sheets and spots [ memories of an unsupervised childhood :eek:].
Once off it is a little like old sticky tape , it might stick back down a little but will never be very effective .
Hiking gear repair shops can completely renew this coating for you though I have no idea as to the process they use or how economical the cost is .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.