• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closures in Foncebadon

MightyFree

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2010, 2015, 2023 Norte 2011
The end of a long day here in Foncebadon and experienced the first “bed rush” of the Camino. Both Monte Irago and Posada inexplicably closed with no explanation (locals have no idea either) while Convento and Cruz de Ferro fully booked. Restaurants all closed as well (including Pizzeria which sadly is always closed Wednesdays). Tienda and restaurant Trasgu closed early as well. Literally nothing to eat in the entire town and some of us are very grumpy bunnies!

Needless to say, plan ahead for Foncebadon and don’t come hungry on a Wednesday!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It might not be a Wednesday issue. Today is the feast day of San Roque. Quite a big event for many Spanish people. Perhaps that is part of the problem
The 15th was also the Feast of the Assumption, a special Holy Day in the Catholic Church and several other Christian denominations. I would suspect that, along with San Roque, would be the reason for the restaurants and businesses closing, although I wouldn't think albergues would close. I'm surprised the locals wouldn't be aware of these feast days, though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It might not be a Wednesday issue. Today is the feast day of San Roque. Quite a big event for many Spanish people. Perhaps that is part of the
The 15th was also the Feast of the Assumption, a special Holy Day in the Catholic Church and several other Christian denominations. I would suspect that, along with San Roque, would be the reason for the restaurants and businesses closing, although I wouldn't think albergues would close. I'm surprised the locals wouldn't be aware of these feast days, though.
The entire town showed up at Restaurante convento for dinner (they close at 8) and there wasn’t enough to go around.

Most of these albergues are open all summer or “todo el año” so closing for 5 days seems a bit more than an observance of assumption but who knows. Turns out one albergue, Monte Irago, had emergency repairs that needed attending to.

Take away is don’t assume things will be open in Foncebadon even if there are 5 albergues. It’s a very inconvenient place to get caught out!

The entire town showed up at Restaurante convento for dinner (they close at 8) and there wasn’t enough to go around.

Most of these albergues are open all summer or “todo el año” so closing for 5 days seems a bit more than an observance of assumption but who knows. Turns out one albergue, Monte Irago, had emergency repairs that needed attending to.

Take away is don’t assume things will be open in Foncebadon even if there are 5 albergues. It’s a very inconvenient place to get caught out!
I remember the state we were in when we finally made it to Foncebadon, and where I discovered the delights of Pineapple Soleros (I had three in an hour).

And then there were the epic Pilgrim burgers from La Taberna de Gaia that night.

If it weren't for those treats, the morning ascent to Cruz de Ferro would have been very different.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 15.24.49.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember the state we were in when we finally made it to Foncebadon, and where I discovered the delights of Pineapple Soleros (I had three in an hour).

And then there were the epic Pilgrim burgers from La Taberna de Gaia that night.

If it weren't for those treats, the morning ascent to Cruz de Ferro would have been very different.

View attachment 154791

Buen Camino indeed.

View attachment 154791

Those are quite the burgers!!

This isn’t a Foncebadon problem, it’s a holiday issue. I have been in other towns during big holidays and couldn’t find food. I suggest pilgrims know the holidays and plan accordingly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Will there be similar closures for October 12 (National Day of Spain) and November 1 (All Saint’s Day)?

Will there be similar closures for October 12 (National Day of Spain) and November 1 (All Saint’s Day)?
I was there on Oct 12, 2021 and the town and restaurants were filled with tourist during the day. There were closed places, but I actually thought they weren't open post-COVID. I may have been mistaken.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This isn’t a Foncebadon problem, it’s a holiday issue. I have been in other towns during big holidays and couldn’t find food. I suggest pilgrims know the holidays and plan accordingly.
It was a Wednesday problem, the local holidays are pretty hard to know in advance without exhaustive research.
Everything was closed the following day in Molinaseca due to a local event, but nobody more than 10k away had any idea.

The 16th August is the feast of San Roque and celebrated in some parts of Spain.

Each of Spains 17 autonomous communities will have their own regional variations, and within each community even more local ones! I generally enjoy the local fiestas!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To All Oldies;
65 plus ;
Astorga ...........21km plus up hill at the end............please stop @ Rabanal
Great little town
Rabanal ..........25km to Molinaseca .......down hill except for the lovely early 6km walk into Foncababon .
Stop for late lunch
Now continue a not so nice or the new more enjoyable path to Ponferrada .
Book into The Parador
1/ You deserve it as the walk into Molinaseca from Acebo is not as easy as people make out.
2/ There's no pockets in the shroud
3/ Within 3 days when you are climbing O'Cebreiro you'll wish you had
4/ Within 5 days when you get the crowd @ Sarria you definitely wish you had.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back