• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal Camino

Geri G

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2016)
I will doing my first Camino in early August. Because of time limitations, I will be starting in Baiona and following the coast (Vigo, Redondela, etc.) for as much as possible until the route meets up at Rendondela to the Cathedral. From what I’ve read, this is still the route less traveled.

I will be taking the bus from Porto to Baiona, via Vigo. I was wondering if it will be difficult to find albergues on this route? Is there a compiled list of albergues, hostels pensions? Is the route well marked?

Any information would be greatly appreciated from all the seasoned travelers of this route.

Thanks.
Geri

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will doing my first Camino in early August. Because of time limitations, I will be starting in Baiona and following the coast (Vigo, Redondela, etc.) for as much as possible until the route meets up at Rendondela to the Cathedral. From what I’ve read, this is still the route less traveled.

I will be taking the bus from Porto to Baiona, via Vigo. I was wondering if it will be difficult to find albergues on this route? Is there a compiled list of albergues, hostels pensions? Is the route well marked?

Any information would be greatly appreciated from all the seasoned travelers of this route.

Thanks.
Geri

I posted this list two days ago on this forum
Mentioned where the albergues are.
in Baiona is no albergue. But nearby , anyway in Nigrán is an albergue.

The route is excellently waymarked.
from Nigrán You can follow the green waymarkers along the coastline and the yellow ones into the hills to Vigo. The hospitalero in Nigrán shows you where to go.. Piece of cake.
Read a bit back on this forum and you'll see all the answers on your questions from"seasoned"travelers.

Porto Sé cathedral by the Douro riverside and the Atlantic coastline to Matosinhos 10km
Matosinhos to Vila do Conde 22 km albergue
Vila do Conde to Póvoa de Varzim 5 km albergue
Póvoa de Varzim to Esposende 22 km
Esposende to Viana do Castelo 19 km
Viana do Castelo to Caminha 23 km ferry quai
Caminho to A Guarda by ferry 4 km albergue
A Guarda to Mougas 18 km albergue
Mougas to Baiona 14 km
Baiona to Nigrán 8 km albergue
Nigrán to Vigo hotel ring 16 kms
Vigo center(hotel ring) to Redondela 18 km albergue Skip the Redondela albergue and walk 3 kms further to Cessantes where is the refúxio de la Jérezana.Far better than the smelly, busy,noisy albergue in Redondela.
Redondela to Pontevedra 20 km albergue
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 21 km albergue o Cruceiro
Caldas de Reis to Padrón 18 km albergue
Padrón to Santiago de Compostela 23 km Cathedral

Most albergues are on the waymarked path.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Redondela to Pontevedra 20 km albergue skip this one and walk 3 kms on to Cessantes where is the refúxio de la Jérezana. Far better than the smelly noisy Redondela one. Highly advised.
Most albergues are on the waymarked path.

I think the way this is written may confuse some: what Albertinho is suggesting to to walk past Redondela to and albergue located between Rdondela and Cessantes, the Jerezana, and then walk to Pontvedra the next day.

The Jerezana is off Camino by maybe 500 meters along a very busy road with many speeding trucks but once you het there it is quiet with a bit of a yard to rest in. It is impeccably kept with new comfortable mattresses and bunks arranged to mazimise privacy. They offer an evening meal or you can walk back towards the Camino to eat at the Jumboli hotel/reataurant.

Yes
I think the way this is written may confuse some: what Albertinho is suggesting to to walk past Redondela to and albergue located between Rdondela and Cessantes, the Jerezana, and then walk to Pontvedra the next day.

The Jerezana is off Camino by maybe 500 meters along a very busy road with many speeding trucks but once you het there it is quiet with a bit of a yard to rest in. It is impeccably kept with new comfortable mattresses and bunks arranged to mazimise privacy. They offer an evening meal or you can walk back towards the Camino to eat at the Jumboli hotel/reataurant.
as you follow the waymarkers out of Redondela direction Cessantes for about 3 kms, you'll arrive at the busy road ,Anemone is talking about. Don't cross the road but turn to the right and after 300 meters the refúxio is there, just in a bend of the road. Between Redondela and Cessantes the way to the refugio is well waymarked on lampposts and trees.

Thanks Anemone. Now I see what you meant. I placed the text at the wrong line but now corrected it.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a question about the coastal route from Porto. We are considering walking this route next year. We recently met a man who had walked it 3 years ago. He said he hated it. You are walking on boardwalks and past beach resorts (and NAKED sunbathing bodies.....tut tut) a lot of the way. Sunbathing bodies don't bother us but is it really just a big sprawl of resorts? We loved the wild nature of the Frances. Do you not get this on the Portugese coastal route?

I have a question about the coastal route from Porto. We are considering walking this route next year. We recently met a man who had walked it 3 years ago. He said he hated it. You are walking on boardwalks and past beach resorts (and NAKED sunbathing bodies.....tut tut) a lot of the way. Sunbathing bodies don't bother us but is it really just a big sprawl of resorts? We loved the wild nature of the Frances. Do you not get this on the Portugese coastal route?
The Francès does not follow the coast so the comparison does not work.
The Portugese coastal is the Portuguese coastal. No more or less than that.
Yes you walk through small towns and villages sometimes on boardwalks where Portuguese and foreign people like to celebrate their holidays at the beachside.
Naked sunbathing-naturism is the better word for it - I have never seen this in Portugal nor in Spain. There are some Beaches They do at the utmost south part, the Algarve and one or to south of Lisbon so far away from the caminho
At the Portuguese coast are hardly any resorts ,anyway not at the northern part of the country where the caminho Portuguese is leading onto Santiago.
Just nice quiet and sometimes medieval places with hotels and hostals.. Now and then a campingsite
.Portugese are lovely , kind and hospitable people and specially the northern part of Portugal has a beautifull scenery . The Portuguese food is fabulous and their wines are irrestible.

Last edited:

I have only walked one day along the coast, from Porto, and I have to say my thoughts was that kt woûd drive me nuts to walk on the shore like this day after day. Yes, you do go through a village detour here and there, and what I saw was lovely, but day after day?

I have also been told that when the Atlantic os angry it gets really angry and throws sand in your face.

As for resorts, I am inclined to say that what ever tourist area you may come across it won't be like an Acapulco or Ibiza beach. Much more family oriented and organic, no large cookie cutter large hotels, even if bits and pieces can be seen, altough not being put on display as you are not to notice.

Some people hate the board walk, I liked it. Much easier than walking through sand and it has a bounce to it I enjoyed.

I considered walking day 1 along the coast, then heading inland, and back out to A Guarda after Valenca. It may work for you, and you can get a bit more coast without having it day after day after day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We recently met a man who had walked it 3 years ago. He said he hated it. You are walking on boardwalks and past beach resorts (and NAKED sunbathing bodies.....tut tut) a lot of the way. Sunbathing bodies don't bother us but is it really just a big sprawl of resorts?

There are some large towns and resorts, but I honestly don't remember much about them. I stayed along the coast as much as I could and, for me, the view was off to my left not to the right. I remember seeing the buildings of Vila do Conde and Esposende and dreading the urban walks, but both times I was walking well before the city woke up and was fairly quickly out into the rural areas.

I walked in late Spring, 2014 so it was too early for the naked sunbathers. I'll have to plan my schedule better next time.

Most read last week in this forum

Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back