• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal to Central in 11 days?

maryann carr

Time of past OR future Camino
portugues sept 2017
Hi Everyone! We've been a bit overwhelmed by so much info - we are leaving Porto on Sept. 17th and have 11 days to get to Santiago - we'd like to do the first day to Vila do Conde then head inland. Can anyone share the route from Vila do Conde going to central and how to possibly include Casa de Fernanda as well, and still be able to finish in 11 days? I've seen so many different threads, and can't pull it all together - if there is a thread, please point us in the right direction...so many thanks, we are super excited to start!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I still have my Excel spreadsheet!

I walked from Matoshinos, having walked there the day before whole getting over jet lag. It's 10km from Porto.

Matosinhos to V. do Conde - 20
Rates - 13
Barcelos - 16
Casa Fernanda - 20
Ponte de Lima - 14
Rubiaes - 18
Tui - 19
Porrino- 17
Albergue la Jerezana, just after Redondela- 18
Pontevedra- 16

From there I took the Variante Espiritual for 2 nights, arriving in Padron to walk further on on the 3rd day, and then one more day into Santiago.

As you cam see I did short days, but the rate determining step is getting to Casa Fernanda, and what you could do to save a day is instead kf staying in Rates and walking to Barcelos is pass by Rates but stay at the Pedra Furada pension and then walk directly to Casa Fernanda. That's 13 to Barcelo and 19 km to Barcelos. A long day but doable.

As for going from V do Conde to Rates, just follow the arrows you see as you come into V do Conde from the beach, just over the bridge and on your right, by the convent. Do not attempt the unmarked old way following the aquaduct.

If you are missing days, you could start from V do Conde by taking the metro there directly from Porto.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Everyone! We've been a bit overwhelmed by so much info - we are leaving Porto on Sept. 17th and have 11 days to get to Santiago - we'd like to do the first day to Vila do Conde then head inland. Can anyone share the route from Vila do Conde going to central and how to possibly include Casa de Fernanda as well, and still be able to finish in 11 days? I've seen so many different threads, and can't pull it all together - if there is a thread, please point us in the right direction...so many thanks, we are super excited to start!!

Hi,

Porto to Vila do Conde, 22.1
To Barcelos, 29.6
To Lugar do Corgo (Casa da Fernanda), 19.1
To Ponte de Lima, 14.5
To Rubiaes, 18.1
To Tui, 19.3
To Redondela, 31.1
To Pontevedra, 18.2
To Caldas de Reis, 23.1
To Padron, 18.1
To Santiago, 24.9

Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's 33 k to Vila do Conde if you walk all the way along the coast from central Porto. But you can cut the distance down to about 22 k if you take the metro from central Porto to Senor de Matosinhos (A line, last stop). From there it's 22 k along the coast to Vila do Condo. Brierley also lists an inland route to Vila do Condo from central Porto, which is about 26 k.

I walked this route seven months ago, and wrote about it in detail here:-

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/live-from-the-portugues.45243/

It took me seven days from start to finish. That was just a little bit faster than I'd have liked. I'd say that eleven days would be ample for the reasonably fit peregrino/a. It's a well-marked route in general, and presents few physical challenges.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jill - did you find the 29.6 to Barcelos challenging on day 2? Or was it manageable? We are planning on staying in little hotels mostly and it seems there aren't many around Rates where we were thinking maybe we'd stop...I like your route plan!

Hi Jill - did you find the 29.6 to Barcelos challenging on day 2? Or was it manageable? We are planning on staying in little hotels mostly and it seems there aren't many around Rates where we were thinking maybe we'd stop...I like your route plan!

Hi Maryann
It’s fairly level walking, so quite easy.
If you get too tired you could stop off in the really nice restaurant at Pedra Furada, and ask if they could call a taxi to Barcelos for you. They used to offer a bedroom (maximum 4 persons) to pilgrims. I don’t know if they still do, but you could ask them; Antonio speaks good English:

http://www.pedrafurada.com/
Restaurante Pedra Furada
Rua de Santa Leocádia, 1415
4755-392 PEDRA FURADA
BARCELOS - PORTUGAL
Tel: + 351 252 951 144
GPS: 8º38'0,11" - 41º28'23,8"
E-Mail: info@pedrafurada.com

Jill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...
One day there was this inner knowledge. After the camino just popped up a couple of times in my universe, I knew: I need to go. Tingling in the spine, a slight nervousness. That usually shows me I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back