• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bouncing between Central and Coastal

telephony

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances. June 8th - July 9th, 2023
Greetings,

My wife and I completed the Francais in July, 2023, and will begin the Portuguese from Porto on April 20th. We are torn between doing the coastal all the way with the spiritual variant, or bouncing back and forth between the central and coastal. Looking for feedback along with what are the must-see locations along the central route. Note: We want the community, but understand that this route regardless of which path might not be as fulfilling as the Francais.

Thank you,

Tele

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I “bounced” between the SL/Coastal and the Central and I had a wonderful Camino. Porto - Vila do Conde - Rates - Ponte de Lima - Viana da Castelo - Spiritual Variant- SdC. However, with hind sight I’ve become a purist. The two routes are very different and have a different story to tell. You wouldn’t skip parts of a book, and swap in parts of another book. It was an adjustment each time we switched and made for a disjointed walk. If you want lots of sights and company I would go central. If it’s stinking hot and/or you want a meditative walk I’d go SL/Coastal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last May, my wife and I started on the Coastal from Porto and enjoyed it for a couple days and then switched to the Central. We found the constant wind from the ocean and sand to be a little much. Also, the lack of infrastructure for pilgrims along the route was a detriment to us. To find a restroom (WC) or a cafe one had to leave the path and go into a nearby town. Yet, the view along the coastal was amazing and soothing. It was quiet and solitary. Both routes have their good sides.

Greetings,

My wife and I completed the Francais in July, 2023, and will begin the Portuguese from Porto on April 20th. We are torn between doing the coastal all the way with the spiritual variant, or bouncing back and forth between the central and coastal. Looking for feedback along with what are the must-see locations along the central route. Note: We want the community, but understand that this route regardless of which path might not be as fulfilling as the Francais.

Thank you,

Tele
Consider also the Atlantico which is really along the seaside. Closer to the sea than the coastal while in Portugal. Some boardwalks etc and off the beaten track.

Will be walking the Litoral,with Variante Espiritual, in September. I agree earlier comments that (I suspect) the two routes are very different...likely worthy of two separate Caminos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've walked both and also did the central from SdC to Porto.

Continuity on a single route is important, but the coastal to Vila do Conde or Esposende before moving to the central, at Rates or Barcelos, replaces sub-urban commercial roadside walking with a great warm up along coastal scenery.

Bom Caminho

I suppose I am a purist because I would never switch between the two. I have done the Litoral, Coastal and the Central several times without crossing over once. All three choices (Litoral not always continuous but shares the Coastal at times) are unique and worthy of walking it in its entirety. If you don't like wind and sand, don't do the Litoral or Coastal. If you prefer a more solid historical perspective and more pilgrim-like atmosphere, don't do the Coastal. If you like the sun and the beach, the coastal routes are for you! All the routes carry history of some sort (or many sorts), as this is the Iberian peninsula!

I have always said, take the time to do them both - they are both unique and wonderful each unto itself. If you complete one, you will always find the time to go back and do the other!

I walked last year in July 1 week prior to the catholic youth assembling in Lissabon.
From Porto to Caminha I walked the coastal and than switched to the central (via Valenca and Tui).
In Caminha I had to wait to the evening to get a ride on a boat and I called up several places across the border just to find out, that they all were fully booked. Same at the V.E. after Pontevedra.

At least I had an amazing Camino, having walked the first 4 days on the seaside and than changed to the central route.

You may consider.
HTH

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings,

Thank you,

Tele
Whatever you do, I highly recommend doing the Variante Espiritual whatever you decide about the first part.

Apart from a few short local sections, the Coastal is a completely modern invention -- but this means that there are multiple routes between the coast and the Central, which the locals used (and use) to travel between their fishing villages and town.

So that, with some exceptions, zig-zag between the Coastal and Central is not too hard.

Greetings,

Thank you,

Tele
We bounced and loved it. To be honest, the coastal was enjoyable every time we were on it. Not to be missed towns on the central include Ponte de Lima, Valenca/Tui and Pontevedra. Others liked Barcelos...we not so much. We recommend staying in Valenca, crossing the bridge for an hour or two in Tui. The next day, walk along the Minho to A Guarda. It was the only day when we did not encounter many pilgrims. In fact, it was just us, a delightful change from what has become a busy camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I worked out an itinerary so that I could walk it all. If you're interested, please pm me.

I see you have walked the Portuguese twice and many other camino paths. In our experience, the first two days out of Porto on the central route were among the most miserable days on any camino. Sidewalk and highway walking were jot conducive to a positive camino spirit. I would best describe those two dayĹ› in one word: Ugh. Just sayin...

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

Thank you to everyone for all the great replies.

We have decided to take the Senda Litoral up to Vila do Conde, bounce over to Rates, up to Portevedra, over the Variante Espiritual (long pause at Bodegas Granbazán) and into SdC.

Any recommendations on stages? We want to keep the stages mostly below 25km and have between April 21st and May 2nd/3rd'ish to be in SdC.

Have a great weekend fellow peregrinos :)

Tele

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Happy Friday Everyone!!!

Thank you to everyone for all the great replies.

We have decided to take the Senda Litoral up to Vila do Conde, bounce over to Rates, up to Portevedra, over the Variante Espiritual (long pause at Bodegas Granbazán) and into SdC.

Any recommendations on stages? We want to keep the stages mostly below 25km and have between April 21st and May 2nd/3rd'ish to be in SdC.

Have a great weekend fellow peregrinos :)

Tele
For what it is worth, my stages up to Pontevedra were:
Porto to Vila ChĂŁ
Vila ChĂŁ to Rates
Rates to Barcelos
Barcelos to Casa da Fernanda
Casa da Fernanda to Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima to RubiĂŁes
RubiĂŁes to Tui
Tui to O Porriño
O Porriño to Redondela
Redondela to Pontevedra

I worked out an itinerary so that I could walk it all. If you're interested, please pm me.
We are planning much the same - my daughter and adult granddaughter. I would love to know your itinary. Thanks very much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are planning much the same - my daughter and adult granddaughter. I would love to know your itinary. Thanks very much!
Hi Liddy,

I've posted a reply to PawelB on this thread. Happy to pm it to you if you can't find it. :)

I see you have walked the Portuguese twice and many other camino paths. In our experience, the first two days out of Porto on the central route were among the most miserable days on any camino. Sidewalk and highway walking were jot conducive to a positive camino spirit. I would best describe those two dayĹ› in one word: Ugh. Just sayin...
I've walked it four times.... my favourite. After many Caminos, I don't walk long drags into and out of cities, except SdC. I metro to Matasinhos on the coast or Vilar de Pinheiro on the central.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back