Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Common/Frequent Insects on Frances?

Choweth

What are some common insects in Spain/France during March and April? I am deathly allergic to bees, wasps, scorpions (even though not an insect), etc. I have shots for it, but just want to be prepared.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi! This came up sometime last year among a more general topic on various critters. From my experience, yes you'll see flies (annoying), bees and wasps (not too bad in March), maybe butterflies and lines of ants across the path, and occasionally lines of caterpillars. I've never seen a scorpion but I believe they do exist pretty much everywhere in the world. Nothing particularly dangerous or unusual, but if you have an allergy just take good advice (which it sounds like you already have done). You're likely to see or hear lizards rustling into the undergrowth, and they'll help keep the insect numbers down! :D Buen Camino!

p.s. Lots of slugs too.

As long as there aren't huge spiders I'm good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Didn't see any huge spiders, but their webs look beautiful beaded with dew in the early mornings !
Look out for the praying mantis . Only saw 2 of them, but they are amazing to see ( won't hurt you ) .
And salamanders once you get into Galicia.
Buen camino :)

tyrrek said:
and occasionally lines of caterpillars.
These are processionary caterpillars and whatever you do do not touch them as their hairs can cause irritation to humans and animals. See below.
"The danger that they pose to humans and animals is a very simple defence mechanism designed to stop them from becoming a meal themselves. Each caterpillar is covered with tiny barbed hairs, it is these which do us harm. When humans come into contact with these hairs, they can cause reactions ranging from mild inflammation and irritation to severe anaphylactic shock. If the hairs contact your skin a rash soon forms which can be incredibly itchy, painful and lasts for as much as three weeks.
The worst problems occur if you make contact with the caterpillar directly and ingest the hairs.
If you get any reaction from contact with these insects medical advice should be sought."
Just avoid them and you will be fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
wayfarer said:
tyrrek said:
and occasionally lines of caterpillars.
These are processionary caterpillars and whatever you do do not touch them as their hairs can cause irritation to humans and animals. See below.
Yes, I believe their main targets are trees. They're amazing to watch, though. They won't 'attack' as such, so if you are allergic to insects (or even if not) just enjoy seeing them doing their little shuffle. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Round the corner and up the hill from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, about 50m away, is the Faculty of Medicine's huge cafeteria that must be able to seat between 200 and 300 people. They have a...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
Well sorry for the long absence! I dropped offline and into Camino life and can't wait to go back (but unfortunately it won't be soon)! I won't say the Camino was an easy experience for me, or...
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m...
Hi all. I’m sitting in the sun on this spectacular day in the Pyrenees at the statue of Mary and Jesus. A glorious day. Thank you to all the weather Gods. Perhaps June / July are the best walking...
If you take the route to Ventosa after Navarette there is a brand new bar/cafe I highly recommend. They've been open 4 days as of today June 12 . A local bee keeper started it and it is great...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back