Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comparing Camino Primitivo with UK Coast to Coast walk

Xena

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2011 & 2015)
Le Puy Camino, GR 70
Hello fellow pilgrims - my partner and I have walked a number of Caminos over the past 12 years and in May this year we will be walking the Camino Primitivo. Last year we walked the Coast to Coast across the UK and I'm keen to hear from anyone who has done both of these hikes. How do they compare in terms of level of difficulty, and the type of terrain?
Many thanks!

I walked the Coast to coast about 35 years ago ( and loved it) I walked the Primitivo in 2016. I don't think that are big differences in difficulty concerning the terrain. I don't know how the situation is now, but the distances between places where to sleep and shops were sometimes long (we carried a tent and made camp most nights) It will be far more expensive.
What I liked about walking in England is the "walking culture", Landowners are obliged to grant right of passage in every situation where paths did exist. So you meet many wooden constructios to climb the many walls that are used as separation between fields.
Be sure to buy the wonderfull guidebook thats written by Wainwright, who developed this route, it has his drawings in stead of photo's ( you probably know this allready))

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow pilgrims - my partner and I have walked a number of Caminos over the past 12 years and in May this year we will be walking the Camino Primitivo. Last year we walked the Coast to Coast across the UK and I'm keen to hear from anyone who has done both of these hikes. How do they compare in terms of level of difficulty, and the type of terrain?
Many thanks!

Following, as we have walked the Coast to Coast but not (yet) the Primitivo. The Coast to Coast was deliberately designed to go over hills rather than around them. It was beautiful but challenging. We were carrying large packs with food and camping gear, something we have never done in Spain.

Likewise I have walked the Coast to Coast but not the Primitivo. I am interested to read the responses of those who have done both.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many thanks!
We walked the C2C and the Primitivo in the same year a few years back. LOVED them both. Comparing caminos is risky business. The C2C offers two seas, lakes, meadows, moors, quaint villages, Cumberland sausage (Yum), sticky toffee pudding (Double Yum) and delightful inns. The Primitivo promises photo ops in the mountains and valleys every few minutes and has two of our favorite towns in Spain: Oviedo and Lugo.

I give both 5 stars, rating them in one word: "incomparable."

I've also walked both, and echo what the others say above. A couple of more differences: Most obviously, everyone in England (even the foreigners) will speak English. That won't be true in Spain. While both trails feature lots of ups and downs, the C2C is almost entirely on real trail or dirt paths, and can be quite rugged, especially in the first part across the Lake country. By contrast, a good 50% of the Primitivo is on asphalt.

And while this is largely subjective, as a pure walking experience the only things in my experience that have rivaled the C2C are treks across the Dolomites in Italy and the Sierras in California. So while the Primitivo is wonderfully scenic, the C2C is another order of Wow. (Again, purely my subjective point of view).

Other things: unless you're wild camping, the C2C cannot be winged. You'll need to reserve everything (months) in advance. You can readily wing the Primitivo, or just reserve a day or two ahead. Far fewer hostels on the C2C, and everything will be a lot more expensive, as Antonius notes above.

Navigation on the C2c will be more of a challenge, as the English don't seem to believe in signposts that much, so a track on your phone will be of more use (though this might be better now, as the C2C was recently denominated a national trail).

But let's not forget the rain. We had 16 out of 17 days of rain on the C2C in May - June, 2019, no rain in 14 days on the Primitivo in 2017. Obviously, the weather fluctuates a lot, but it's almost a certainty that it will rain more in northern England than in northern Spain.

But overall, I'm with Anthony Rocco: 5 stars for both, and both incomparable. Just different.

I walked the C2C in 1987, so my opinion may not be worth too much, but I enjoyed it so much I still have a fairly good memory of it. I walked the Primitivo in 2019.

The only part of the C2C that is a bit challenging is in the Lake District. If you are walking west to east, that would be the first 3-4 days. The Primitivo has some climbs, but in my opinion there is nothing more challenging than what you find on the C2C.

The Primitivo is a great walk. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you do to.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've also walked both, and echo what the others say above. A couple of more differences: Most obviously, everyone in England (even the foreigners) will speak English. That won't be true in Spain. While both trails feature lots of ups and downs, the C2C is almost entirely on real trail or dirt paths, and can be quite rugged, especially in the first part across the Lake country. By contrast, a good 50% of the Primitivo is on asphalt.

And while this is largely subjective, as a pure walking experience the only things in my experience that have rivaled the C2C are treks across the Dolomites in Italy and the Sierras in California. So while the Primitivo is wonderfully scenic, the C2C is another order of Wow. (Again, purely my subjective point of view).

Other things: unless you're wild camping, the C2C cannot be winged. You'll need to reserve everything (months) in advance. You can readily wing the Primitivo, or just reserve a day or two ahead. Far fewer hostels on the C2C, and everything will be a lot more expensive, as Antonius notes above.

Navigation on the C2c will be more of a challenge, as the English don't seem to believe in signposts that much, so a track on your phone will be of more use (though this might be better now, as the C2C was recently denominated a national trail).

But let's not forget the rain. We had 16 out of 17 days of rain on the C2C in May - June, 2019, no rain in 14 days on the Primitivo in 2017. Obviously, the weather fluctuates a lot, but it's almost a certainty that it will rain more in northern England than in northern Spain.

But overall, I'm with Anthony Rocco: 5 stars for both, and both incomparable. Just different.
You noted many of the key differences. When you mentioned the lack of signposts, no thanks to the National Trust that wanted to keep the Lake District unsullied, it brought back a flood of memories We got lost up in the hills and after sliding down a hillside of scree, found ourselves a total mess with our water supplies exhausted. Now...if you believe in camino angels, none have ever matched the ones we encountered. A couple noticed our travails, indicated they were both doctors on vacation and helped us rehydrate. They said we were insane to go on since we were actually still 20kms from our destination. So...they put us in the back of their BMW and drove us to their local club, where we hydrated quite elegantly. Then they drove us to our destination.

Camino angels? They are everywhere!

By contrast, a good 50% of the Primitivo is on asphalt.
I have to take issue with this. I walked in July, that is certainly not my recollection, (confirmed by my videos). Unless you’re including dirt road/farm tracks ? But not tarmac.
Yes, there was more than I prefered (20/25%?) but it’s mainly on track’s. Even after Lugo (the section with the most road walking) there are variants to lessen the time spent on tarmac.

Your other comments are spot on

I have to take issue with this. I walked in July, that is certainly not my recollection, (confirmed by my videos). Unless you’re including dirt road/farm tracks ? But not tarmac.
Yes, there was more than I prefered (20/25%?) but it’s mainly on track’s. Even after Lugo (the section with the most road walking) there are variants to lessen the time spent on tarmac.

I agree. And after walking the Portugues, which seems like endless tarmac, the Primitivo seems...well...so primitive. But...the C2C is truly a walk in nature from start to finish. No stiles on the Primitivo!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Could be my memory is faulty, as it's been 6 years since I walked the Primitivo, but it did strike me when I walked it that a surprising percentage (30-40%, if not 50%?) was on tarmac, making it less of a "wild" walk than I expected. In any event, certainly more tarmac than the C2C. Both great, though.

Btw, if you search the forum for "Pavement on the Primitivo," turns out there's lots of debate on this issue, and no two people seem to agree. It's funny how people's views can differ even on supposedly objective phenomena.

Last edited:
Debate on the forum? Never!
And your memory may not be at fault - from reading many, many threads on here, things have changed somewhat over the years. New path’s have been opened up. Many of the alternatives were - still are- on the road, because at times the tracks are rougher/ more slippery than pilgrims are used to. Occasionally, temporarily impassible.
Some of the variants aren’t that well marked, or promoted. (Although I have to say, the way marking overall is excellent!) I didn’t use, or have any need of, a map let alone an app once I found my first arrow ( which I found by accident the evening of my arrival, I might add).
And in at least one instance, if you want a café, you have to follow the road. Which an app told my friends, but I was ahead of them at the time 😥.
Austrias has - is - building more and more of those blooming awful flat limestone ways everywhere beyond a certain point. Horrible. Blindingly bright in the sun, terrible underfoot, and you really, really do not want to trip and fall on that stuff!
But still not- technically- asphalt.

I walked both recently and also give them each 5 stars.

Sep 2022 - Camino Primitivo and San Salvador. Of the 8 Camino routes I have walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela and the Via Gebennensis from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay are my favourites. You will fully enjoy the Camino Primitivo

Sep 2023
- Coast to Coast walk (C2C) with Mac’s Adventures booking accommodations

Primitivo stats
- age 65
- 12 walking days
- 317 kms
- elevation gain (meters ) 7,847
- elevation loss (meters) (7,764)

Coast to Coast Walk
- age 66
- 13 walking days
- 320 kms
- elevation gain (meters ) 7,883
- elevation loss (meters) (7,945)

So without factoring in terrain and weather both would appear very much the same degree of difficulty...both are incredible walking experiences.

However not an apples to apples comparison...terrain and weather were the main reason for this.

On the Primitivo not a single rain drop...I did not find the terrain overly difficult...a lot of ups/downs for sure. I understand with rain certain sections can/do get muddy. We booked our own accommodations.

On the Coast to Coast...the 5 day section in the Lake District was the toughest walking of all my Camino and non Camino walks. Best estimates I heard were 200+mm of rain over Lake District days resulting in mountain streams (becks) becoming torrents. I had never encountered this and we forded often well past the knees likely 40 - 50 such streams....sure had to be super careful. The terrain was much rockier, muddy, slippery, boggy in areas resulting in many many pratfalls for yours truly. As mentioned above route finding on the C2C...especially in the Lake District...is quite challenging even when following GPS tracks.

Super glad I had the chance to do both however it really brought home how weather can impact a long walk.

If interested I blogged on a daily basis both of these walks. www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.com. Have a great Camino walk!

Guy

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query - some really useful information!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's one of the things that makes it hard to choose the other walks.
Agreed on costs for sure…last two long walks were PEI Island Walk in Canada which was likely 3x4 times the cost and the Wainwright Coast to Coast which was likely 4x+ any Camino route I have walked.

I knew this ahead of time…so no surprises on either walk and frankly no regrets however having said that would really caution someone with Camino experience to fully appreciate what the PEI Island Walk is all about.

I summarized on the last blogpost on the PEI Island Walk more detailed thoughts if anyone is interested.

Guy

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back