• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comparison between El Norte and Portuguese coastal path

JoroAtanasof

Time of past OR future Camino
one too many
Hi , is it fair to say that most of del Norte asphalt is like the section between A Guarda and Vigo on Portuguese coastal path ?
I have a few weeks this year and after doing some research I am not convinced that I want to walk most of del Norte on asphalt .
It is hard for me to compare because I’ve done Frances / Portuguese and Primitivo .
I know that there is some detours to escape the asphalt but still it ain’t enough for me .
To give you some perspective the stretch between a guarda to Vigo was really bad for me physically and mentally especially after four days walking from Porto to Caminha :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The two are soooo different. The Portuguese Coastal is terrain wise a much easier route. I don't even remember any ascents and descents or the day you mention being bad but you're right about the asphalt on the Norte. I've done it twice and the last time this past summer I opted for as many alternatives along the coast as possible - also to experience something new - but you still will have some asphalt. I wear trail runners and luckily never had foot problems or any other musculoskeletal issues even though I walk long stages. But that's me.

Thank you @LTfit my only concern is the asphalt I just hate it , don’t mind the ups and downs , don’t mind doing long stretches I have 4 kg backpack (without h2o )and I know which trail runners work for me :) .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you @LTfit my only concern is the asphalt I just hate it , don’t mind the ups and downs , don’t mind doing long stretches I have 4 kg backpack (without h2o )and I know which trail runners work for me :) .
What do you walk on if it is not asphalt? What would be ideal?

Hi , is it fair to say that most of del Norte asphalt is like the section between A Guarda and Vigo on Portuguese coastal path ?
I have a few weeks this year and after doing some research I am not convinced that I want to walk most of del Norte on asphalt .
It is hard for me to compare because I’ve done Frances / Portuguese and Primitivo .
I know that there is some detours to escape the asphalt but still it ain’t enough for me .
To give you some perspective the stretch between a guarda to Vigo was really bad for me physically and mentally especially after four days walking from Porto to Caminha :(
Hola
I have walked both and they are of course different.
Norte got asphalt and Coastal got board walks.
You might become as annoyed with board walk as asphalt, but it certainly is nice on Costal not to be walking with traffic so close to you.

What time do yuo plan to walk?
The Atlantic Ocean can be very fierce compared with Northern Spain Sea, and as you are walking along the beach, it can become somewhat of a hairdryer blowing sand into your face - do take some glasses with you.

You may want to prolong your Costal route with the Variante Espiritual - that gives yo an extra 3 days and the walk is very nice in nature and without the crowds on the main route.

I do think the Norte got a lot of charm with the small fishing towns, beachers and boats taking you across the straits.
And when walking the Norte you can prolong your walk by going/bussing up to Potes in Picos de Europa and enjoy the marvelous mountains there.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back