• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Completion and Closure.

ElRicardoL

My wife and I walked the Camino in September 2007. From St Jean Pied De Port in France to El Burgo Ranero (about 40km before Leon). El Burgo Ranero!!?? I'm sure you're saying: that's a strange place to end your Camino! Well, after leaving Bercianos del Camino, I started experiencing some chest discomfort. We reached El Burgo Ranero, where I decided that I could walk no further. Six hours sitting on a piece of concrete in El Burgo's somewhat decrepid train station, a short train ride to Leon and two nights in a hotel seemed to relieve my discomfort. I was ready to walk again.
7 km from Leon and the same symptoms reoccurred. Time for the hospital! An ambulance ride through the streets of Leon. Lights flashing and sirens blaring. I was told that I've had and was having a heart attack. I was admitted to the I.C. Dept of the Hospital de Leon. Spent six nights in the hospital and emerged with two brand new stents in my arteries. Back to Canada and our home on Vancouver Island after an early and frustrating exit from the Camino.
Almost a year later. Feeling fine. The pull of the Camino is as strong as ever! My health is good.
I must return to that railway station in El Burgo and continue from where we left off! The date is set (sort of) June 2009. It's time to start planning! Excitement!
Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm so glad that things have worked out well for you. It must have been scary both for you and your wife stuck in hospital in a strange country. Enjoy your planning and the resumption of your Camino. Janet

You will be like a new sports model now that you have had the stents inserted!
When you are ready to start again, you'll be pleased to know that there are three trains per day from Leon to El Burgo Renaro - 9h01: 15h00 and 20h50 They take 30 minutes and cost 2.60 €
And, two ALSA buses: 13h00 and 19h00. They take 45 minutes and cost 3.05€
Keep walking!
Hugs,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank God you listened to your body!! Now you can be another inspiration to those who have had heart issues and think maybe they can't! You get to prove..yes you can! Buen Camino, Karin

jl said:
I'm so glad that things have worked out well for you. It must have been scary both for you and your wife stuck in hospital in a strange country. Enjoy your planning and the resumption of your Camino. Janet

Thanks, Janet.
It was a little more scary for my wife than for me as I was being carefully and skillfully looked-after in Hospital de Leon. Fortunately, our daughter in Canada, dropped everything and flew to our side.
Regards. Richard.

ksam said:
Thank God you listened to your body!! Now you can be another inspiration to those who have had heart issues and think maybe they can't! You get to prove..yes you can! Buen Camino, Karin

Even though the ambulance paramedics gave me an E.C.G. outside a garage in Leon and found nothing wrong, I did indeed listen to my body and the message was to get to the hospital as soon as possible. Phew!
Cheers, Karin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
sillydoll said:
You will be like a new sports model now that you have had the stents inserted!
When you are ready to start again, you'll be pleased to know that there are three trains per day from Leon to El Burgo Renaro - 9h01: 15h00 and 20h50 They take 30 minutes and cost 2.60 €
And, two ALSA buses: 13h00 and 19h00. They take 45 minutes and cost 3.05€
Keep walking!
Hugs,

Great information, Sillydoll! Thanks.
30 minutes equals 2 days walking!
I wonder if medieval pilgrims would have taken a train if one had been available? :)
Thanks again.
Richard.

Richard, I know what you mean by 30 minutes = 2 days walking!
Next year I am planning on walking the Aragones route from Lourdes to Punete la Reina and Pamplona. In order for my friend to earn her Compostela (its a once in a lifetime pilgrimage for her) we will get a train to Lugo and then bus up to Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.
The train goes from Pamplona via Vitoria, Burgos, Sahagun, Astorga, Ponferrada and Sarria to Lugo. I can't believe that the we will whizz from Pamplona to Lugo in less than 9 hours! It took me 30 days (720 hours) to walk a similar distance last year! I don't know that I want to look out of the windows while we fly past, condensing all those camino landmarks into split seconds!

sillydoll said:
Richard, I know what you mean by 30 minutes = 2 days walking!
Next year I am planning on walking the Aragones route from Lourdes to Punete la Reina and Pamplona. In order for my friend to earn her Compostela (its a once in a lifetime pilgrimage for her) we will get a train to Lugo and then bus up to Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.
The train goes from Pamplona via Vitoria, Burgos, Sahagun, Astorga, Ponferrada and Sarria to Lugo. I can't believe that the we will whizz from Pamplona to Lugo in less than 9 hours! It took me 30 days (720 hours) to walk a similar distance last year! I don't know that I want to look out of the windows while we fly past, condensing all those camino landmarks into split seconds!

That should be a great hike! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.