• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela routes in Brittany

meanderthal

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jacques in Brittany August 2019
Hello pilgrims. My childhood friend and I are interested in possibly walking a portion of one of the paths in Brittany. We are in our 60's, in good health, but you know, not spring chickens. My friend walked a portion of the Compestala in Portugal last year. This year we are going to Brittany for two weeks- one week walking and one week staying in place. We had been thinking of walking some of the coast path or one of the canals until we heard that there are portions of the Compestela in Brittany. We each have active contemplative practices at home (me in California, her in Oregon) and hope to walk the Camino in the next few years. Walking one of the (five) routes in Brittany seems right to us. We are not anti-social, (both of us work with people in very satisfying areas during the year) but both prefer smaller groups and long stretches of quiet too. We have both hiked and walked long distances during vacations. Two years ago I walked inn to inn the 60 miles around Monterey Bay by myself- so not so concerned with stamina. Although- not so much into mountain climbing these days either.

Do you have advice? A favorite section of any of the paths we could reasonably cover in a week? Your experiences with accommodations along the route? And?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I think that the best place for an answer is this link :
St James ways in Brittany
with informations and with this link, the accommodations :
https://www.compostelle-bretagne.fr/index.php/fr/hebergements-fr
regards,
Henri (from Brittany)

Thanks Henri,
I have looked at that site and although some things are translated into English the central discussions and specific details about the different paths are all in French. Unless I missed something? Unfortunately my French is limited is such a way that it is unrecognizable by a native French speaker. I have traveled in France a number of times and have always enjoyed it but following specific instructions in French regarding sometimes tricky routes/ instructions/advice is likely to end in either tears or very bad comedy. Or both. I was hoping someone on this forum who is english speaking may have found directions written in english- even better- someone who has walked one or more of these routes. Probably it would have been best if I said that initially.

I wondered about finding a bi-lingual person on the ground in Brittany who could advise on routes.

Jane

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I recommend contacting local associations like Compostelle Loire Atlantique and Compostelle Bretagne

The Loire Atlantique group in particular looks like an enthusiastic association. They can surely advise you about the best route to walk for one week. I see that they sometimes meet pilgrims from abroad who come to walk the pilgrim routes in Brittany.

One route to consider is to start at the Crozon peninsula at the far west extreme of Finisterre and walk the GR34 coastal route on the south Brittany coast (toward Saint Nazaire). I think the official pilgrimage routes take inland shortcuts, whereas the GR34 hugs the coast. My preference would be to follow the coast, since you're not racing to Santiago. That will give you rugged scenery, quaint fishing / sailing towns like Douarnenez and Concarneau, and a taste of "authentic" Breton culture (e.g. Breton speaking).

GR34 stages:

To Jane,
Click first on the british flag, and after, you'll have the step by step way in english. I'm trying to find a irish guy who hiked a lot on the brittanies ways

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.