• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Copper Still bought in Arzua - be careful

Time of past OR future Camino
('14 Nov-Dec Ponferrada-SdC )
There is a Ferreterias (Hardware Store) at Calle Lugo, 69 Arzua that is easily recognized for the copper stills for sale in the window. Easy to see also in google maps. We did purchase one for a gift .... however, the owner requried cash and we did not check out the the receipt copy to see that the name of the store was missing. So there is no way to "prove" the purchase and it was never received.

Lesson learned? Our Camino Glow may have assumed good will, but in this situation it would have been better to adopt some Camino Caution and taken the product with us to ship ourselves.

Did this ruin our Camino..........not at all! For some lessons there is a price to pay. If someone else can learn from our investment, all the better. Buen Camino! Marianne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a Ferreterias (Hardware Store) at Calle Lugo, 69 Arzua that is easily recognized for the copper stills for sale in the window. Easy to see also in google maps. We did purchase one for a gift .... however, the owner requried cash and we did not check out the the receipt copy to see that the name of the store was missing. So there is no way to "prove" the purchase and it was never received.

Lesson learned? Our Camino Glow may have assumed good will, but in this situation it would have been better to adopt some Camino Caution and taken the product with us to ship ourselves.

Did this ruin our Camino..........not at all! For some lessons there is a price to pay. If someone else can learn from our investment, all the better. Buen Camino! Marianne
Hy Marianne , its to bad that people do this , to make profit over peoples back so to say.Id didn't ruin your Camino so thats good . Buen Camino , Peter .

How disappointing for you - both because you did not get what you paid for, and because you were ... in effect ... conned. When things like this happen to me I find I need to call upon my reserves of grace** to cope, but you seem to be doing that already as you say it has not ruined your Camino. Good for you!

(**reserves of grace. This is a term I first heard here on the Forum from @Kanga, if I am not mistaken. Before that I had no way of describing it. Thanks, Kanga.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Excellent thought! Keep faith in your fellow man!:)

I agree with Icacos, don't give up! Unbelievable as it may seem, I sent an envelope from the US to Madrid on Nov. 15, and it didn't arrive in Madrid until a week or so ago. And an envelope doesn't have any of the customs issues that a box might, so your box may still be on its way.

Out of curiosity, what is a copper still?

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you contacted him to see if he did ship it or had problems with the shipping info you left?
Our friend who is a native Spanish speaker called the two phone numbers we could find associated with this location and was told our transaction never took place.

A still is for making spirits - think aguadente, whisky etc. It might have fallen foul of customs if keeping a private still is not allowed :(
This came up during our purchase and we were advised the US has no restrictions and that only France would not allow their importation.
We were shown a receipt on his desk for a similar purchase from a US pilgrim from the state of Virginia. It would be wonderful to hear the experience of other pilgrims who bought stills!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Do you got a ticket or a bill with you ?
Then tell your friend to phone this shop and i hope this person do not cuestión your Shopping!
So sorry about that!

A still is for making spirits - think aguadente, whisky etc. It might have fallen foul of customs if keeping a private still is not allowed :(
Exactly! Our nephew is a chemical engineer and recently adopted home brewing as a hobby. We tasted such fantastic walnut and herbal liquors in Spain that a still seemed a perfect gift.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Do you got a ticket or a bill with you ?
Then tell your friend to phone this shop and i hope this person do not cuestión your Shopping!
So sorry about that!
Yes we have the bill but our copy of the receipt shows no name or address. Perhaps as others suggested the package will come and if it does, I will be back on this thread in celebration!

Our Camino and the hospitality of those we met in Spain was a lifetime blessing and so I do not want this single exchange to cause others to think twice about walking their Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think Custom's and Excise or its USA equivalent are or are likely to be at least part of the problem see this helpful(?) link: http://homedistiller.org/equip/buying. As I understand the situation US Federal Law still prohibits the home distillation of spirit notwithstanding the repeal of the Volstead Act. Similar restriction still imposes on our liberties in the UK.

I think Custom's and Excise or its USA equivalent are or are likely to be at least part of the problem see this helpful(?) link: http://homedistiller.org/equip/buying. As I understand the situation US Federal Law still prohibits the home distillation of spirit notwithstanding the repeal of the Volstead Act. Similar restriction still imposes on our liberties in the UK.
Not a lawyer here. A still is also used is the production of perfumes....so maybe the equipment itself is not the issue. When we asked the gentleman if his product could be shipped to the US and California specifically, he said there were no problems. The only problem was with France.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Falcon, Sound advise for those who are considering the act of home brewing. The concern of this thread was in regards to a purchase of lovely looking equipment, expectations, and the possibility of being duped. I would still :) love to hear of any other pilgrims who may have purchased equipment from or visited this store.

Beyond that I hope to return to the Camino .... most certainly be older .....while life will have to be lived to determine if any wiser :)

Stuff sent by sea to Spain can be less-than-swift---- I've had a parcel take four months. However, this gives you a reason to do a second Camino, possibly the Primitivo, which joins on to the Francese east of Arzua, and drop into the merchant and have a chat to refresh his memory.

It may not be the merchant. It might be someone in the post office, on either side of the ocean. Or even some light-fingered neighbor of your friend.
A subscription to The New Yorker magazine was a delight of most of my adult life, until I moved to Spain. Alas, despite mail traces and complaints and investigations from both sides of the pond, fewer than half the magazines ever make it to my mailbox.
They pass through a lot of hands between here and there, and somebody steals them. And so I had to give them up.
The world is a sad old place sometimes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Possible to buy stills in France and even in the uk - although strictly forbidden here in uk to use it for making the evil alcohol. But if you want to make essential oils - fine! I agree with others though that it probably has been held up at either border by customs - perhaps if it contained info on making essential oil it may of got through...! Another time it might be worth having a declaration in the box saying that it is for decorative purposes only. A shame you may of of lost your memento - but maybe it will turn up...

' We tasted such fantastic walnut and herbal liquors in Spain that a still seemed a perfect gift.'
If it fails to turn up - you can make superb liqueurs without a still. Use vodka, brandy, rum or gin and soak fruit or nuts etc in it for several months, strain and add sugar water to sweeten to taste. There are many recipes online. A favourite one I have just strained off is 'Centerbe' (hundred herbs) Every summer I wander around the garden and pick a small bunch of every edible herb I can find (you MUST be absolutely sure of your identification!!!) this goes in a large kilner jar and I add some citrus peels, coffee beans a spoonful of Earl Grey tea leaves, a cinnamon stick, really whatever I have that is tasty/interesting. Topped up to cover with vodka, it is left for 3-4 months in a dark cool cupboard, I shake it once a week. Once strained I added about a quarter by volume of sugar syrup and decanted into bottles. It tastes slightly different each year and is a wonderful tonic. I'm sure with the mint and fennel and rosemary it is a really good digestif, and must be packed full of vitamins and minerals - it certainly makes me feel much better after a tot!!
Look up Walnut Noyau recipes too.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We had a recipe for sloe gin. Turned cheapish gin into something really good, especially as I cannot stand gin normally.

It may not be the merchant. It might be someone in the post office, on either side of the ocean. Or even some light-fingered neighbor of your friend.
All possibilities....but we walked out of the store into our Camino cloud with a receipt that recorded the transaction but NO name of the store, NO phone number, NO email address, and No tracing document for the mailing. We really own our share of this detour.

Possible to buy stills in France and even in the uk - although strictly forbidden here in uk to use it for making the evil alcohol. But if you want to make essential oils - fine! I agree with others though that it probably has been held up at either border by customs - perhaps if it contained info on making essential oil it may of got through...! Another time it might be worth having a declaration in the box saying that it is for decorative purposes only. A shame you may of of lost your memento - but maybe it will turn up...

Hecate.......Agreed! There are two good possibilities ....
first, the package ultimately arrives and I take a picture to show off the beautiful hand hammered sculpture (correction noted) and have a way to identify and thank our storekeeper on this forum;
second, a cautioned pilgrim can take the steps needed to clearly identify the shop/storekeeper and documentation to trace the shipment or ship themselves.........and then enjoy the benefits of essential oils.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With no actual proof that this shop has failed to send the package it seems extremely unfair to be identifying it so clearly. The package has failed to turn up, everything else is supposition.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tia - yes I love sloe gin too. For years I did the whole - wait for the frosts, then prick each sloe with a needle - then I thought - hold on - if I just pick them when ripe and I have time, bung them in the freezer, get out and bash them around a bit - then put straight in gin - a lot less hassle and tastes just as good!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back