• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost of walking the Camino Frances

Ray Huth

I know there isn't an exact figure, but what is a solid estimation for the cost of one person to get to the beginning of the Camino trail from the U.S. and then hike the whole thing?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know there isn't an exact figure, but what is a solid estimation for the cost of one person to get to the beginning of the Camino trail from the U.S. and then hike the whole thing?
Hello ray,
When walking the camino it took me about 50 euro a day for living.

Hello ray,
When walking the camino it took me about 50 euro a day for living.
As an average we had the same experience. One day you pay 5€ in an albergue, an other day you pay 30€ in a hostal. Breakfasts are cheap in Portugal when you go to a local paderia (bakershop) we paid about 2,50 € each for some croissants , bums, a coffee. For 10€ in many restauraunts in Portugal and Spain you'll get a menu del dia.
Specially when the locals are eating there,you'll be assured of good quality food.

The costs of your flight are not included in this average !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If your camino starts St-Jean-Pied-de-Port: at least 1000 € (30€/day)

I spent 25-35 Euro per day and so about 1000 euros and I thought that was pretty good living!

Depending of your mileage and need for comfort, somewhere between 15 and 50 Euros a day, without counting the trip cost.

I was using around 30 € a day for a mix of public/private albergue and pension. Taking the "menu del pelegrino" in the week and a normal menu at Sundays.
I wasn't having any hesitation to visit a bar when needed (often ;)).

Regards, Jacques-D.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In my experience, flying from Washington, DC, figure on a round trip, Open Jaw" airfare of about USD 1,300 (+/- 100), and another USD 100 - 125 to get from CDG to St. Jean Pied de Port by coach and rail.

Once at St. Jean Pied de Port, plan on an AVERAGE of Euro 30-35 per day if you are staying at albergues (combined public and private).

If you stay at a mixture of private albergues and hostals /B&Bs, figure on an AVERAGE of Euro 50 per day.

If you fly Open Jaw home from Madrid, as I usually recommend, figure on another USD 100 to take the ALSA coach to the airport from Santiago, and another USD 150 for a hotel near the airport overnight so you can get your return flight the next morning.

To recap:
1,300 (USD) r/t airfare JFK-CDG // MAD-JFK
950 (Euro)
125 (Euro) ground transportation to CDG St Jean Pied de Port
1,750 (Euro) HIGH average daily cost assuming 35 days en-route (St. Jean to Santiago)
250 (Euro) ground transportation SdC to MAD and one night @ airport hotel.
3,075 (Euro)

Using today's conversion rate, the r/t airfare works out to Euro 950

Also, using that same conversion rate, the 3,075 total works out to about USD 4,200.

I purposely built in the HIGH average to ensure you had enough funds while in Spain. You can likely save at least 500 Euros off these estimates. However, one thing you learn early on is that EVERYONE walks their own Camino. So, these estimates are just that, a starting place. I intentionally erred on the high side.

I hope this helps.

Everyone is different.
Depends on you and where you're flying from.

From Portland, Oregon I usually pay between $800 and $1200.
From the East Coast, it will be a LOT less!
Right now, Cheap-O-Air is advertising round trip flights from NYC to Madrid for around $650.

This year, I see tickets for around $1100 from Portland to Madrid.
From Madrid, I bus to Pamplona which is around 25 Euros.
From Pamplona I share a taxi to SJPP, but you can also catch a bus to Roncesvalles, if you want to begin there.
Or you can find other pilgrims and share the cost of the taxi, as I do.

My daily allowance when I'm walking alone and staying in albergues is between 20 and 30 euros per day.
Where possible, I stay in donativo parochial refuges. I usually donate 10 euros because they usually feed me dinner.
If they provide breakfast also, I donate a little more.

I buy a coffee in the morning, and I picnic at lunch. Where I can cook in the albergue, I do so. I eat a pilgrim's plate several times a week.
I have never gone over budget and live quite comfortably for 2-3 months each year on the various Caminos.

In Santiago I book a room at the Hospederia where pilgrim rooms are very affordable, and the price includes a large buffet breakfast.

If I'm staying more than 2 days in Santiago, I have two favorite apartments I choose from.

To get home, I take the train back to Madrid and spend the night in an inexpensive hotel near Atocha station.
Next morning, I train to the airport for a couple of euros.

Just editing this to say that yesterday I booked my ticket to Madrid for $980. That is an incredible price from Portland, Oregon - only $200 more than I paid on my first trip to Europe 20 years ago!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ray:

There are several threads on this subject in the forum.

Airfare $900. to $1200. depending on time of year or when you purchase ticket.

Transportation to start point and departure point. $200. to $400. depending on your ingress and egress city.

Daily living expenses for 35 days $1400. to $1600.

That equates to $2500. to $3200. in dollars. IMO.

Ultreya,
Joe

I think spend is more or less individual, travel expenses I cannot give advice on, but as for daily expenses - I found out for me 30 Euro per day are quite comfortable. I was eating Pilgrim's menus often, sleeping in albergues always. Mind that moving closer to Santiago and then off to Finisterre/Muxia accommodation costs more.
Enjoy!

I think spend is more or less individual, travel expenses I cannot give advice on, but as for daily expenses - I found out for me 30 Euro per day are quite comfortable. I was eating Pilgrim's menus often, sleeping in albergues always. Mind that moving closer to Santiago and then off to Finisterre/Muxia accommodation costs more.
Enjoy!

Agreed with the above but the days get longer as the walk progresses.
If you can afford 50 euros a day allow this and enjoy.
If you can't the 30 euros will get you there ..........plenty of bananas and bread and one big meal at lunch time.
There will be enough for wine/beer as they are very well priced in Spain

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was tryin to keep budget low, I was actually using the kitchen on the camino but also ate the pilgrms menu now and then and slept in pilgrim hostels.
25€/day.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back