• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cost per couple

aoife.x

:-)
Time of past OR future Camino
Im walking the camino with my other half in may 2015 :-)
Hi, im walking the camino frances with my partner end of may this year. We are wondering how much it will cost per day on average per couple. Thank you in advance :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How long is a piece of string?
Do you want to eat out three times a day and stay in Paradors? Will you look for municipal albergues and cook for yourself? Or something in between?
I have heard of people spending 50 euros a day each - I was more at the other end and our group of 5 averaged 12 euros a day per person (we cooked for ourselves - and others - often)

My experience, Alberques 7-10€, pensions 15 to 20€ per person. Lunch 5 € p/0, dinner pilgrim meals 8 to 10€, you can pay more or less if you stay in a pension over an Alberque, have a fancy meal versus a pilgrim meal, although the pilgrim meals I had tbh were delicious. Breakfast because it's generally 7am or before I bought a bag of croissants each individually wrapped and a bag of baby bel cheese in a supermarket when I arrived and paid maybe 1€ for the bag of croissants and no more than 2/3€ for the cheese and I used these for breakfast each morn and if I got peckish along the way, these lasted about 3days. It really does depend on the person but can be done for 30€ a day each easily and less if you cook your meals, I just didn't choose that option but those that do can do a day for 10 or more less a day.
Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
yeah, you got to be more specific on what kind of accommodations and meals the both of you are interested in...

Thank
My experience, Alberques 7-10€, pensions 15 to 20€ per person. Lunch 5 € p/0, dinner pilgrim meals 8 to 10€, you can pay more or less if you stay in a pension over an Alberque, have a fancy meal versus a pilgrim meal, although the pilgrim meals I had tbh were delicious. Breakfast because it's generally 7am or before I bought a bag of croissants each individually wrapped and a bag of baby bel cheese in a supermarket when I arrived and paid maybe 1€ for the bag of croissants and no more than 2/3€ for the cheese and I used these for breakfast each morn and if I got peckish along the way, these lasted about 3days. It really does depend on the person but can be done for 30€ a day each easily and less if you cook your meals, I just didn't choose that option but those that do can do a day for 10 or more less a day.
Buen camino
Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Being a couple, you could save some euros in private hostals, or if you cook your own diner (but not all albergues have cooking facilities, and in some villages there are not private hostals).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks very much
As stated earlier you could save a lot of money cooking your own meals in the albergues that have the kitchens to do so, which is a cool thing to do anyway. The majority of the towns along the Camino have stores and markets where you can buy what you need for dinner. The bigger towns and cities even have supermarkets. You can also get stuff the night before to eat in the morning.

Mark post: 282396 said:
As stated earlier you could save a lot of money cooking your own meals in the albergues that have the kitchens to do so, which is a cool thing to do anyway. The majority of the towns along the Camino have stores and markets where you can buy what you need for dinner. The bigger towns and cities even have supermarkets. You can also get stuff the night before to eat in the morning.
Funny that u said that, We were just talking about buying food the night before to eat on our way :) thanks for your feedback its really appreciated :-D

Funny that u said that, We were just talking about buying food the night before to eat on our way :) thanks for your feedback its really appreciated :-D
My favorite meals I had on both my Caminos were the ones I shared with fellow pilgrims when we cooked up dinner together in the albergue.
cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Think of a budget and add 20% was advice given to us way back. This meant that we could go 'private' or in albergues, buy one good meal a day and buy food for the other, have cafe con leche or a beer/fresh orange etc without worrying. We have always brought money home with us, but better than being short.
Sharing platos combinados helps - have a main meal and a side dish instead of 2 mains (or similar if in a group). You cannot do this with menu del peregrino or menu del dia.
We buy food for the journey and always have water with our meals. Often there is some over which can top up our bottles. We carry a few food bags so that any extra bread rolls/croissants don't go stale, especially if bought the night before when making our own first breakfast.
Pilgrims this year have been saying 30€ per person so maybe raise that to 40€ each to give yourself wriggle room. You don't have to spend it, but it is there if needed.

Buen camino
My wife and I spent roughly the same, except we usually ate breakfast for an average of 3€ each, and split a bocadillo at lunch and had a couple of small Cokes (5 or 6€ total). Add in a couple of Euros for a mid-morning snack and another couple of Euros for an afternoon cerveza. Our average daily expense was in the neighborhood of 30€ per day per person. In larger cities such as Logroño, Burgos, Leon, and Santiago, we stayed an extra night and took a rest day, which of course was more expensive than the typical daily cost on the Camino, but we stayed in small hotels for 40-45€ per night for both of us, and spent probably 50% more on meals.

Think of a budget and add 20% was advice given to us way back. This meant that we could go 'private' or in albergues, buy one good meal a day and buy food for the other, have cafe con leche or a beer/fresh orange etc without worrying. We have always brought money home with us, but better than being short.
Sharing platos combinados helps - have a main meal and a side dish instead of 2 mains (or similar if in a group). You cannot do this with menu del peregrino or menu del dia.
We buy food for the journey and always have water with our meals. Often there is some over which can top up our bottles. We carry a few food bags so that any extra bread rolls/croissants don't go stale, especially if bought the night before when making our own first breakfast.
Pilgrims this year have been saying 30€ per person so maybe raise that to 40€ each to give yourself wriggle room. You don't have to spend it, but it is there if needed.
Thank you thid

Thank you tia valeria this will be really helpful for us :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Where in Santiago can I catch the bus to the airport?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back