• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cruz de Ferro - Different Prayers ?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi All,

We are on our way again tomorrow :):)

Last minute checking of gear is underway and we got to packing our stones.

Pat wanted me to print out the traditional prayer that we like........

Lord, may this stone,
a symbol of my efforts on the pilgrimage
that I lay at the foot of the cross of the Saviour,
one day weigh the balance in favour of my good deeds
when the deeds of my life are judged.

Amen.

But.........

We both thought we might leave a stone for departed parents too.

The prayer above is obviously not appropriate because it talks of the efforts of the Pilgrim making the journey.

I wondered if other members had a nice prayer they have used for departed loved ones that might be suitable?

Or maybe it's just not appropriate to leave a stone for others?

We seem to burn half the candles in Spain for them in the Churches anyway :oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Camino allows us all profound moving moments of spirituality - occasions to experience grace - and sudden insights, epiphany if you will, into ourselves and our being. I find your Cruz de Hierro prayer to be very personal and touching. Thank you. We pilgrims of the Jewish faith have a blessing here below which may be recited at times of great joy, during a new enjoyable experience, in the first yearly performance of a commandment or at the appearance of first fruit or food (tortilla!) of a year- said by me often but especially upon arrival in Spain, that first morning as I set off to walk, upon arrival in Santiago, and often along the way, especially at the appearance of Saint James just about anywhere in the world including here in Jerusalem. So here you go and feel free to use it!
"Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has granted us life, sustained us and enabled us to achieve this moment".
בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְי אֱלֹהֵינוּ מֶלֶךְ הַעוֹלָם שֶׁהֶחֱיָנוּ וְקִיְּמָנו וְהִגִּיעָנוּ לַזְּמַן הַזֶּהָ

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi All,

Lord, may this stone,

Amen.

But.........

The prayer above is obviously not appropriate because it talks of the efforts of the Pilgrim making the journey.

I wondered if other members had a nice prayer they have used for departed loved ones that might be suitable?

We seem to burn half the candles in Spain for them in the Churches anyway :oops:
You probably realize this. That prayer is word for word from the movie The Way. Maybe they copied it from the same place you read it.
Any prayer of course is meaningful, but instead of a prepared prayer, I suggest letting the journey tell you what to pray. You will be different by the time you reach the iron cross.
The first time I knelt at Cruz De Ferro and laid down my stone both words and tears flowed from my heart. God turns our moans into prayers especially on the Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The cross and pile of stones and other objects left by pilgrims are not religious, per se. The site is not sacred or holy.

Over many hundreds of years, a practice developed among pilgrims of bringing a stone, usually from home, to place at the foot of this iron cross (Cruz de Ferro) on top of a telephone pole.

The symbolism in the practice was originally to represent the lightening of one’s personal emotional burdens by placing them at the foot of the proverbial cross. The metaphor being the uniting of the pilgrim’s suffering or burden with that of Jesus Christ on the Cross.

Over the many hundreds of years, there have been multiple crosses. In fact, in the Archbishop’s (non) Residence at Astorga, you can see at least one of the earlier crosses of iron. They must periodically be replaced as they are exposed to the elements, and iron does rust.

There are all manner of reason people leave stones at present. You can cast about and read inscriptions written on some stones left by pilgrims.

Most bring a stone from their home. Others obtain one along the way. It is your burden. How you choose to dispel it, offer it up, or deposit it at the foot of the cross at the top of the mountain is purely up to you.

Hope this helps.

Hi All,

Lord, may this stone,

Amen.

But.........

Strikes me that you have plenty of time to let the words you will want to say form themselves within, as you walk and look and listen and feel. Be your own authors.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi All,

Lord, may this stone,

Amen.

But.........

I’m actually planning to have a stone for each of my three children, because they have different needs

Hi All,

Lord, may this stone,

Amen.

But.........

thought of you, and sent a prayer to your angels! while I was using the rice cooker this morning! I hope your camino is going well, and that food is suitable for your digestive needs.

thought of you, and sent a prayer to your angels! while I was using the rice cooker this morning! I hope your camino is going well, and that food is suitable for your digestive needs.

We are going well thanks, though slowly. Rice cooker not being missed....so far.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back