• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cruz de Ferro landscaping work - Gronze article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A long opinion piece about the controversial landscaping work at the Cruz de Ferro has just appeared on the Gronze website. Written by Anton Pombo in his usual flowery style! :) I read it using Google Translate and the phrase "mini Versailles operation" has stuck in my mind. Personally I've considered the Cruz a tawdry lost cause for years now and have been happy enough to pass by fairly quickly. For those who see the place in a more positive way the article and the works it refers to may be of some interest and perhaps also of concern.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think there can be no further debate: a site that was never sacred was sanctified and has now been disnified.

The contractors were no doubt grateful for the work. I've little doubt that assorted councillors, a Mayor, some Junta functionaries and probably local taxi drivers and coach drivers from far and wide are chuffed as nuts with their achievements and the changes. The Mercedes-Benz Tourismo has one hell of a turning circle. No more three-point-turns required. Somebody is no doubt already eyeing up the refreshments concession.

As has been discussed here previously (the search engine is your friend) prayers can be offered anywhere, your god will be listening. And, if you need to lay down a burden, there are plenty of places on Camino that will accept your offering. Probably more kindly than that sad circus ring.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good that they're cleaning up and organizing the spot up a bit. I've personally never stopped there on any of my Camino Frances.
Agreed. Now all we need in some evenly spaced steps on some of the steep bits. Some effort to keep incontinent cows off the trail in Galicia and all that'll need sorting after that will be the levelling of the Montes de Oca and a decent descent from O Cebreiro that doesn't involve that ludicrous steep bit up to the Alto do Poio.

Sorry @RJM but the spot had some significance to some. Even if that significance was based on Urban Legend and internet nonsense they still left their pebbles, and worse, and felt they'd done something. Now? It's probably time to set up the stall selling rocks from around the world. No need to bring a stone from home - we can sell you one...

This is already a popular stop for tourist buses. What will come next? a souvenir shop and a cafe, maybe? Not sure I like it: I can wait until El Acebo for a beer/coffee... Just my thoughts, though. Some call it progress...

And then there's the symbolic value of the place for pilgrims, as a site for contemplation/reflection at an untouched place...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola All,
I tried to read the translation, but gave up. Yes that style was more than a bit flowery.
Now for the actual work, I have been to Cruz twice, 2015 and 2017. The first I was able to spend some time in reflection. The second I was overwhelmed by a bus load of bucket listers (definitely not pilgrims). I placed my stone and left.
Should the local authorities "do some cleaning up", well imho yes. Stones with messages, maybe some notes are ok (again my opinion); but dirty underwear, half drunk bottles of wine definitely have no place at this place of significance to those pilgrims who have walk 200, 300, 400 or 500km.

The Cruz de Ferro is many things to many people.
Is it 'recognised' historically, sacred, sanctified? No.
It is a fairly modern thing I understand.
Many pass it by with little more than a glance.

But for many, it has become a place of great significance and emotion.
The site itself 'triggers' these things in some way.

I don't think any form of 'beautification' is necessary or required. But what is done, is done.

I have visited four times so far, and will again, whatever they do to it.
I will utter my prayers and drop my stone and leave with tears in my eyes, whatever others may think of such 'nonsense' 😜

:):)

PS, I usually time my visit to avoid the hordes, and have managed to do so thus far.
If it has to be at 2 am in future, to find peace and quiet. So be it ;)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On another note...... but similar.....

Having arrived in Santiago four times now, I have never really found it a 'fitting' end to a Camino.
The crowds of tourists, the packed out cathedral.

Sad really, as I feel I should enjoy the whole experience more.

I had 2 free days in Santiago this year and for each Pilgrim Mass the queue seemed to extend out the door, down the steps, across the Praza Praterias and about 300 metres up Rua de Xelmirez! I managed to go in once, and joined a quiet, very moving mass, with no Botafumeiro swinging. It was wonderful.

And I got time in the Crypt with the Silver Casket. That is the reason I go to the Cathedral really.

I suppose we all find what we seek, in different places...........
Maybe we can just accept that?
And not look down our noses at those 'fools' who get something from a Camino, that perhaps we just cannot see or begin to understand. ;)

Now I shall duck!

:):)

Last edited:
Whatever you may think about the final result of the “beautifucation” project, the references to the Marshall Plan are cringe-worthy and highlight the dangers of wanting to impose your own vision of the camino on the camino. In this case, he had the money and could dangle it temptingly. Good intentions, no doubt, but not the way to go about it, IMHO.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
an American called Tim donated €60.000
And for what it’s worth, hence A. Pombo’s reference to a Spanish movie called “Welcome Mr Marshall”, a 1953 Spanish comedy film directed by Luis García Berlanga, and considered one of the masterpieces of Spanish cinema. The film highlights the stereotypes held by both the Spanish and the Americans regarding the culture of the other. One of the actors is José Isbert also known as Pepe Isbert who plays the role of the mayor of a small village.

I had to look it up as I had not understood any of the references to Berlanga and Pepe Isbert and Villar del Rio in the Gronze article.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.