• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycle Muxia - Finisterre

Torrent1964

So, 2013 I will cycle the Camino Madrid most likely to Santiago and then hopefully on to Muxia/Finisterre. I hope to visit both. Has anyone cycled this? Would there be a preferred direction Muxia first or vice versa? Are there any issues as with the Francais regarding sharing the track, etc?

Regards

Torrent :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Torrent,

Now that I think of it, in three walks from Santiago to Finisterre-Muxia, I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist. Maybe they do it in one day and then disappear. But I do think most of the camino is cycle-able.

If you'll be doing a circle, I don't think the direction matters. Since I don't have time to walk a circle, I have to choose whether to end in Finisterre or Muxia. I've done both. My feeling is that it's more satisfying to stop walking in Finisterre, but walking Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre means missing the beautiful oceanside walking and the descent to Cee/Corcubion. I'm still undecided for this summer.

The Finisterre-Muxia segment has very little coastal walking but is a pleasant walk nonetheless.

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, Torrent,

Now that I think of it, in three walks from Santiago to Finisterre-Muxia, I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist. Maybe they do it in one day and then disappear. But I do think most of the camino is cycle-able.

If you'll be doing a circle, I don't think the direction matters. Since I don't have time to walk a circle, I have to choose whether to end in Finisterre or Muxia. I've done both. My feeling is that it's more satisfying to stop walking in Finisterre, but walking Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre means missing the beautiful oceanside walking and the descent to Cee/Corcubion. I'm still undecided for this summer.

The Finisterre-Muxia segment has very little coastal walking but is a pleasant walk nonetheless.

Buen camino, Laurie

Ha, once agin you strike with indispensable advice. Thank you so much Laurie. I am a little confused about the oceanside walking though. If we do Fin to Muxia will we get to go along the coast? We will stop back in Santiago by the way - a full loop.

Thankful

Torrent

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Torrent,

What I meant about the oceanside walking was that if you go Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre (and stop in Finisterre) you will take a different route than if you go Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia (and stop in Muxia). Santiago - Finisterre goes across the headlands from Hospital and then down to the ocean at Cee/Corcubion, and along the water to Finisterre. From Finisterre to Muxia you head north on a basically inland route.

If you walk Santiago to Muxia first, you will not have that ocean segment from Cee/Corcubion because you will turn off from the road to Finisterre at some point close to Hospital. Then into Muxia, which is to the northwest, then down to Finisterre, thus not coinciding with the oceanside path.

If you do the complete circle Santiago - Finisterre- Muxia - Santiago, you will be oceanside for those 8 or 9 kilometers, either when you go from Santiago to Finisterre or from Finisterre to Santiago, just depending on which direction you are going. I don't know if this makes sense, let me know if not. Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, Torrent,

What I meant about the oceanside walking was that if you go Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre (and stop in Finisterre) you will take a different route than if you go Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia (and stop in Muxia). Santiago - Finisterre goes across the headlands from Hospital and then down to the ocean at Cee/Corcubion, and along the water to Finisterre. From Finisterre to Muxia you head north on a basically inland route.

If you walk Santiago to Muxia first, you will not have that ocean segment from Cee/Corcubion because you will turn off from the road to Finisterre at some point close to Hospital. Then into Muxia, which is to the northwest, then down to Finisterre, thus not coinciding with the oceanside path.

If you do the complete circle Santiago - Finisterre- Muxia - Santiago, you will be oceanside for those 8 or 9 kilometers, either when you go from Santiago to Finisterre or from Finisterre to Santiago, just depending on which direction you are going. I don't know if this makes sense, let me know if not. Buen camino, Laurie

It makes perfect sense to me, thanks Laurie

Torrent

There is surprisingly little actual oceanside walking. From Cee you will follow the coast to Corcubion, to Sandiniero and then along the beach to the town of Finisterre. The lighthouse is another 3 klms walk (all uphill but you'll be used to it by then!) To go to Muxia from there you will barely ever glimpse the coast, though personally I would recommend a short 4 klm detour out to Cabo Tourinan, the real end of the world! You will come out at a glorious beach with views of the promontory of Muxia. Out of Muxia you exchange the sea for the Ria de Camarinas, then as you head inland, around Dumbira the countryside changes drastically. Very dramatic. You rejoin the "Finisterre" camino at Hospital.
Hope that helps.
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Priscillian said:
There is surprisingly little actual oceanside walking. From Cee you will follow the coast to Corcubion, to Sandiniero and then along the beach to the town of Finisterre. The lighthouse is another 3 klms walk (all uphill but you'll be used to it by then!) To go to Muxia from there you will barely ever glimpse the coast, though personally I would recommend a short 4 klm detour out to Cabo Tourinan, the real end of the world! You will come out at a glorious beach with views of the promontory of Muxia. Out of Muxia you exchange the sea for the Ria de Camarinas, then as you head inland, around Dumbira the countryside changes drastically. Very dramatic. You rejoin the "Finisterre" camino at Hospital.
Hope that helps.
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Most Appreciated.

Hi Torrent,

It will be an easy ride, enjoy the peace on this way.
However you had better be wary of the rules with the albergues in Dumbria and Muxia.
The unassisted walkers with backpacks have first go and in Dumbria there is only 24 places.
Muxia also fills up very quickly .
Plenty of accommodation otherwise.
Safe trip,
David

Thornley said:
Hi Torrent,

It will be an easy ride, enjoy the peace on this way.
However you had better be wary of the rules with the albergues in Dumbria and Muxia.
The unassisted walkers with backpacks have first go and in Dumbria there is only 24 places.
Muxia also fills up very quickly .
Plenty of accommodation otherwise.
Safe trip,
David

Thanks. We will be carrying Bivvi bags with us as a precaution for botht the Madrid and Finisterre Camino, so not overly worried about getting in. :|

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We hiked the Camino Finisterre in August of 2012 and of the two hundred or so folks registering at the end in Finisterre on our day about 20 or 25 came by bike. The bikers we saw were mostly Europeans (Italians and Portugese) who were on a kind of light mountain bike -- not as solid as the American mountain bikes and not as light as touring bikes. There were some points in the highlands on the last day where there were a lot of fist-sized rocks on the trail, so it slowed the bikers' ascents and descents. But obviously, they were flying on the paved descents. Zoom!

It´s not that it makes any difference. On a bike you have more flexibility and it´s no more difficult either way. Most prefer Fisterra to Muxia but it doesn´t matter. One thing I encourage you to do on a bike which a walker might not contemplate is the trip out to Touriñan: the REAL end of the world. Nothing there but you, the lighthouse, and if you time it right, the sunset.

Priscillian said:
It´s not that it makes any difference. On a bike you have more flexibility and it´s no more difficult either way. Most prefer Fisterra to Muxia but it doesn´t matter. One thing I encourage you to do on a bike which a walker might not contemplate is the trip out to Touriñan: the REAL end of the world. Nothing there but you, the lighthouse, and if you time it right, the sunset.

Will seriously consider this. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, 2013 I will cycle the Camino Madrid most likely to Santiago and then hopefully on to Muxia/Finisterre. I hope to visit both. Has anyone cycled this? Would there be a preferred direction Muxia first or vice versa? Are there any issues as with the Francais regarding sharing the track, etc?

Regards

Torrent :D
Hey you guys we are thinking of cycling pontefreda to santiago Route frances then on to Finisterre. Did you do the Finisterre route? What was it like? We have kids with us and I am worried about riding bikes near cliffs, like if they fell off. Hope you had a good trip.
Regards The Gilldaleys

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back