• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre or Muxia?

ChrissyandElise

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to Santiago May 2024
Hello peregrinos! My daughter and I are walking the CF from SJPP and hope to arrive in SDC around a week before we fly home (late June). We'd like to walk to either Finisterra or Muxia and then enjoy the last day or two just relaxing and enjoying the ocean. I recognize we could do both, however after 800km of the CF and then continuing the walk to the coast, I'd prefer to pick one and have a rest day or two.

Which do you prefer and why? We'd be happier with a beach than churches to explore (i.e., off our feet). I'm thinking of booking private accommodations for our final couple nights, so if you have a favorite place to stay, I'd love to hear that too.

Thank you for your insight and advice - I appreciate everyone in this Forum so much! Counting the days until we leave!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have taken a bus to Fisterra and while I enjoyed the hustle/bustle, I much preferred the relaxing nature vibe of Muxia to spend a couple of days. I have stayed at this property twice and enjoy everything about its convenient location, views, and the quiet feel as each of its three floors is its own apartment.
Screenshot_20240313-075830~2.png

Hi Chrissy and Elise,

Tough choice, and I wouldn’t discount the possibility that once you are already there, you will decide you really don’t want to stop walking and will continue on to the other place!

A few scattered thoughts

Muxia is less touristy, so it’s easier to find a really good seafood meal. The parador there, which is a few kms out of town, has great views back across, but those of us that have to look at it from the Praia de Lourido might find it kind of jarring. The sanctuary on the promontory with all those magical rocks is a great place to sit and do nothing. I like the Pensión Alemana, but have also stayed in Bela Muxia (probably the go-to place for the forum — it has private rooms and an albergue).

Finisterre has a lot of tourists. Sunset at the lighthouse may seem silly but it does have an impact after all that walking. The walk into Finisterre has a lot of beach walking at the end. On the route into Muxia you come upon the beach rather abruptly and are basically there. I’ve stayed at several albergues (there are a lot), but the hotel I like the best is Sempre Fisterra. It’s modern, an “eco hotel”, right in the middle of town. Not exactly charming but very comfortable.

I think the main choices are - lighthouse or rocks? more or fewer tourists? touristy restaurants or great seafood (I’m sure there are great seafood restaurants in Finisterre, but I haven’t found them)?

The short answer is where ever your friends are going. I arrived in Santiago, and
since I was a 64 year old man, several of my camino friends were ahead of me.
I received a message that they were going to be in Fisterra/Finnesterre the next night
so I took the bus out the next morning. It was incredible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I recognize we could do both, however after 800km of the CF and then continuing the walk to the coast, I'd prefer to pick one and have a rest day or two.
I understand your reasons but it's possible that you may end up a day or two ahead of schedule and then perhaps you can see both places after all. I assume you're not locking one in right now with bookings but it seems a bit premature to have firmly decided to visit one and not the other when it's only one extra day.

I have actually never been to Muxia but most people seem to like it more than Finisterre. It's considered more contemplative whereas Finisterre is more celebratory, and one thing to consider before deciding on one in advance is that maybe you don't really know the type of ending you want until you see how your camino unfolds and what kind of pilgrims you are.

As an example, in 2021 we walked for 60 days from Tavira on the south coast of Portugal to Finisterre and didn't see a single other pilgrim for the first 49 days, and only two up to Santiago. In hindsight we realised that we wanted a lower-key, contemplative ending and the celebratory vibes in Finisterre were a bit too much as they didn't represent at all the camino that we had walked. But maybe if we had enjoyed a very social camino on the CF, that ending would have been perfect.

Finisterre is undoubtedly more iconic as an end point, and seeing that 0km marker really does give closure to your camino so it would be a shame to miss it after walking all that way.

I understand your reasons but it's possible that you may end up a day or two ahead of schedule and then perhaps you can see both places after all. I assume you're not locking one in right now with bookings but it seems a bit premature to have firmly decided to visit one and not the other when it's only one extra day.

I have actually never been to Muxia but most people seem to like it more than Finisterre. It's considered more contemplative whereas Finisterre is more celebratory, and one thing to consider before deciding on one in advance is that maybe you don't really know the type of ending you want until you see how your camino unfolds and what kind of pilgrims you are.

As an example, in 2021 we walked for 60 days from Tavira on the south coast of Portugal to Finisterre and didn't see a single other pilgrim for the first 49 days, and only two up to Santiago. In hindsight we realised that we wanted a lower-key, contemplative ending and the celebratory vibes in Finisterre were a bit too much as they didn't represent at all the camino that we had walked. But maybe if we had enjoyed a very social camino on the CF, that ending would have been perfect.

Finisterre is undoubtedly more iconic as an end point, and seeing that 0km marker really does give closure to your camino so it would be a shame to miss it after walking all that way.
There‘s a 0km stone in Muxia, too 😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree in general with others' comments about the relative merits of Muxia and Finisterre. Two other thoughts:

Since you are walking with your daughter, you might try to anticipate what she would like most. Finisterre certainly has more of a young person's vibe to it - probably a lot more nightlife, etc. If your daughter (or you) are extroverted and like to celebrate with more people, Finisterre might be better. If, however, you want a quiet, contemplative end to your camino, Muxia might be better. And the point made by isawtman is a good one - you might want to stay flexible and go wherever the friends you've made on the camino are going.

If you didn't want to walk to both places but wanted to see both, there is a relatively quick bus that runs several times a day between them. That happened to my wife and I on our first camino - we walked to Finisterre, and due to some nagging injuries we bussed to Muxia.

Both places are great, and watching the ocean waves roll in at either location was the perfect ending to each of our two caminos. And the walk to each is lovely and quiet after the all the traffic you'll experience on the Camino Francés.

Hi Chrissy and Elise,

Tough choice, and I wouldn’t discount the possibility that once you are already there, you will decide you really don’t want to stop walking and will continue on to the other place!

A few scattered thoughts

Muxia is less touristy, so it’s easier to find a really good seafood meal. The parador there, which is a few kms out of town, has great views back across, but those of us that have to look at it from the Praia de Lourido might find it kind of jarring. The sanctuary on the promontory with all those magical rocks is a great place to sit and do nothing. I like the Pensión Alemana, but have also stayed in Bela Muxia (probably the go-to place for the forum — it has private rooms and an albergue).

Finisterre has a lot of tourists. Sunset at the lighthouse may seem silly but it does have an impact after all that walking. The walk into Finisterre has a lot of beach walking at the end. On the route into Muxia you come upon the beach rather abruptly and are basically there. I’ve stayed at several albergues (there are a lot), but the hotel I like the best is Sempre Fisterra. It’s modern, an “eco hotel”, right in the middle of town. Not exactly charming but very comfortable.

I think the main choices are - lighthouse or rocks? more or fewer tourists? touristy restaurants or great seafood (I’m sure there are great seafood restaurants in Finisterre, but I haven’t found them)?
The new parador in Muxia is stunning and was the perfect way to end our walk last Fall. However, we did take a cab to Fisterre for a day and overnight to walk up to the lighthouse and see the “end of the earth.”

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well... the crowds it seems do favor Muxia. I have not been but all-in-all it does seem to have a "quiet" vibe to it based on all comments.

I do have to add though that "Finisterre is like visiting Niagara Falls...tourists and trinkets", well... IMHO places can only get touristy, loud and trinkety as much as YOU let them be (and I've been to NF plenty and the tourists just don't bother me, and they didn't bother me in Finisterre)

I'm sure that each of the places has something unique to offer; in any case I do not think you'll go wrong no matter which one you chose. Beaches are abundant, good food is a-plenty!!!

In Finisterre I stayed at Mirador fin da Terra. OK... got to climb up to it ... as if didnt have enough of that yet...LOL, but not overly bad and its worth it - this was slightly upscale and a fitting end to my trip with gorgeous views from our balcony (and gorgeous views next morning)

Just to muddy your waters up a little, some of my acquaintances took at bus tour to Finisterre & Muxia and went to Ourense for post-Camino relaxation (hot springs, spas, you know the pampering stuff :)) as they put it Ourence is a really cool city! Public hot springs combined with swimming holes in the Mino River, walking paths, fitness parks along the paths, shopping, historic buildings, historic bridges, new bridges with fascinating architecture, film festival, and good food.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hello peregrinos! My daughter and I are walking the CF from SJPP and hope to arrive in SDC around a week before we fly home (late June). We'd like to walk to either Finisterra or Muxia and then enjoy the last day or two just relaxing and enjoying the ocean. I recognize we could do both, however after 800km of the CF and then continuing the walk to the coast, I'd prefer to pick one and have a rest day or two.

Which do you prefer and why? We'd be happier with a beach than churches to explore (i.e., off our feet). I'm thinking of booking private accommodations for our final couple nights, so if you have a favorite place to stay, I'd love to hear that too.

Thank you for your insight and advice - I appreciate everyone in this Forum so much! Counting the days until we leave!
I went to Muxia - it’s a beautiful seaside town. Quiet with amazing food. Nice chapel / church and you can get a cello there (not in the church but at an office on the property hosted by attendants). There’s a nice beach nearby. I stayed at the Apartamentos Mar de Fondo Muxia - it will have more than enough room for you. I highly recommend it. It’s very nice and central to everything with a full kitchen and washing machine for clothes. Private key for coming and going as you please. Buen Camino!

I've answered the end in Finisterre or Muxia question many times in different short ways. I decided to collect my answers.

Finisterre has the feel of a beach town, Muxia that of a village on the coast.

Finisterre is a good place to finish a camino with a celebration and Muxia is the place to end with contemplation. So stop in the place where you regain your psychic energy.

Stop in Finisterre for a good time, Muxia for a quiet one.

Extroverts: Walk Muxia to Finisterre
Introverts: Walk Finisterre to Muxia

If you liked walking with friends my guess is that you would like Finisterre to be your last stop. If you preferred walking alone I think you would like to visit Muxia last.

A lot of people will just walk to Finisterre. If your buddies are these folks then join them and then finish in Muxia.

On the practical side, Finisterre has better bus service to return to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
n Finisterre I stayed at Mirador fin da Terra. OK... got to climb up to it ... as if didnt have enough of that yet...LOL, but not overly bad and its worth it - this was slightly upscale and a fitting end to my trip with gorgeous views from our balcony (and gorgeous views next morning)
CW, I have stayed at Mirador fin da Terra, too, and absolutely loved it! The climb was totally worth it and it feels entirely different than the main drag. Also on the other side of that same hill is the more remote beach the locals frequent. It's beautiful and very peaceful.

Like @peregrina2000, we also stayed at Sempre Fisterra in Finesterre. There a couple of things to do in Finesterre besides walk out to the lighthouse. There is a small museum in the castle and there is a public viewing platform above the fresh fish auction. We saw all kinds of different fishes and shellfish being auctioned.

I still love the vibe of Muxia better and it also has a lighthouse if that is your thing. I love to sit and watch the waves splash while sitting on the rocks at the point. We watched a boat come in and the fishermen sorted their catch. Certain fish for the restaurant across the street and the rest to the auction just steps away.

I've been to Muxia twice in the summer and once in the winter. Lovely both seasons.

and one thing to consider before deciding on one in advance is that maybe you don't really know the type of ending you want until you see how your camino unfolds and what kind of pilgrims you are.

100% agree with this. Wait until you get closer to Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first Camino (Francês) I was in doubt until the last day. I was almost decided to walk to Muxia. But when I worke up in Olveiroa, the friends I made there decided that it was a hard walk to Muxia, and I had a very injuried knee, só we all headed to Finisterra and it was great. In mid May, there were turists sure, but I menaged to be contemplative. I’m an introverted. I had a marvelous experiencie during the walk - specially when the ocean appeard out of the Blue! In the lighthouse, drinking a shared botle of wine, looking the sim to die, having deep conversations and sometimes being quiet.
At the end of my Primitivo, in october, I walked again to Finisterra and it was worthed! I made lots of considerations, wrote a bit. You see, you can make the type of ending you want no matter where. Finisterra has its magic!! Then my legs could no lo longer walk me to Muxia, so I took the bus. Also fantastic there, at the rocks, where I burned the letter I previously wrote in Finisterra. Another ending… The vibe I felt at the rocks was pretty intense. And dense! My next Camino, what I intend to do is: walk first to the deepness of Muxia, and then really end my adventure in a more sunny (yet contemplative) way in Finisterra.
But, eather way you choose It’s going to be fine. It’s going to be your way! And hoppefully there are going to be others Caminos, with other endings. Buen Camino, whichever it Will be!

I have enjoyed both Muxia and Finisterre. I agree they are different, but both rewarding. I walked with friends to Muxia, where we spent the day, and a lovely evening at Albergue Arribada. Over dinner we decided we had to see the sunset in Finisterre, but didn't fancy walking all the way. So rather than walk to Finisterre, we took the 10am bus to Cee, and then walked the last 10km into Finisterre, which turned out to be perfect plan. We stayed at the Hotel Costa da Morte which is a modern hotel with excellent rooms and breakfast. The only negative was that the walls were not quite so thick and sound reverberated from the hallway.

So, perhaps both is possible? As has been said already: Either way, one or the other or both, you can't go wrong as both have their unique charm.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Chrissy and Elise,

A few scattered thoughts

This is all true. (Although I have had some luck finding decent seafood in Finisterre - Os Tres Golpes.)

I will just add two things to the equation.
1. In Finisterre, "km 0" is by a lighthouse atop a cliff overlooking the ocean. In Muxia, "km 0" is by a church, on the rocks more at sea level, with many large boulders and rock formations nearby. Which ending sounds more meaningful to you?
2. For me, there is something special about sitting in a place names, essentially, "the End of the Earth" and looking west towards some. How meaningful would being in "the End of the Earth" be to you?

Muxia also has a 0 km marker

Last edited by a moderator:
Two good places for fish in Muxia.

A Marina and the other is

Casa do Peixe was open for us this winter. We also ate there last summer.

A Marina was only open last summer. We saw guests inspecting their fresh fish before it was taken back to the kitchen for cooking.

In Finesterre we ate at Lorca, I think. Fresh razor clams were good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love your photos, @MickMac and I almost chose that place for a change last spring! I'm a sucker though for old stone walls incorporated with modern amenities, and appreciated the extra room we had to hang out for our two night stay.
Sorry about language discovered after I had pleurisy.

In addition to Peregrina's comments on Finisterra, I suggest that if you take the west coastal path, rather than the road, back from the lighthouse, you will encounter hardly any tourists, few locals, and a nice selection of secluded beaches. One would probably want to do this during day rather than after sunset and pack a lunch. One could spend most of a day on that path/s and beaches.

In addition to Peregrina's comments on Finisterra, I suggest that if you take the west coastal path, rather than the road, back from the lighthouse, you will encounter hardly any tourists, few locals, and a nice selection of secluded beaches. One would probably want to do this during day rather than after sunset and pack a lunch. One could spend most of a day on that path/s and beaches.
Thanks for mentioning that path! My family did the exact same thing on a sunny day..That trail back to town was gorgeous with many wild flowers in mid-May and we saw no one else the whole way back to town.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just another thought:
Bus to Finisterre and see the sunset.
Consider the walk to Muxia with a stop in Lires.
We stayed at

Lovely family, quiet, just a short walk to the quiet cove with beach and services.
Then walk to Muxia to enjoy another stunning landscape, the Church, and time on the rocks. Some impressive beaches (not all safe to swim, but beautiful to see and hear) between Lires and Muxia. Bus back to Santiago.
Buen Camino (with friendly envy font).

I would say go to both if you have time, then decide in SdC which one to walk, taking the bus is also an option.

We have visited both and we prefer Muxia, small and cute.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know you’ve asked for a preference between the two, but I’m strongly in the “AND” camp. Finisterre was a great place to celebrate for a day, then a lovely walk to Muxia where there was so much space for contemplation.
Enjoy your mother/daughter time. ~buen camino

I stayed 2 nights in Finisterra at the end of my trip last June. I was nice and relaxing, having dinner outside down by the bay looking out at the ocean. Being there for two nights I didn't have to rush up and see the light house the first day, just had a nice causal relaxing walk up there the second day. Walked a long the nice sandy beach they have there.

I've answered the end in Finisterre or Muxia question many times in different short ways. I decided to collect my answers.

Finisterre has the feel of a beach town, Muxia that of a village on the coast.

Finisterre is a good place to finish a camino with a celebration and Muxia is the place to end with contemplation. So stop in the place where you regain your psychic energy.

Stop in Finisterre for a good time, Muxia for a quiet one.

Extroverts: Walk Muxia to Finisterre
Introverts: Walk Finisterre to Muxia

If you liked walking with friends my guess is that you would like Finisterre to be your last stop. If you preferred walking alone I think you would like to visit Muxia last.

A lot of people will just walk to Finisterre. If your buddies are these folks then join them and then finish in Muxia.

On the practical side, Finisterre has better bus service to return to Santiago.
Cobblers! Introverts, extroverts! Let’s not go there! The bus in Finisterre is often crowded and you might not get on it as it’s the most popular of the two places. Often pilgrims take pot luck as to which town they go to since it’s new to them. As Christie&Elise mentions a liking for beaches, Muxia has a small but perfectly formed beach and crystal clear water if the weather is kind. There’s a wonderful walk and several nice places to stay including the Hotel A de Lolo and several good restaurants as well. Yes, quieter than Fisterra which is quite Touristy but both have a lot of history too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I went to both. Stayed one night in Fisterra and it was not bad. Ate ate the world cafe. Hung out at the light house. It was more lively/touristy than Muxia, but if you walked over the ridge like 10 minutes there was a really awesome big beach to watch the sunset from. Muxia is more windswept and rocky. When I was there there was a festival to carry the Saint to the fishing harbor to bless the fishermen and the catch. I found a grand place to stay a bit out of town called da costa. The parador had not yet been built so it was very quiet. Early October 2018.

Thank you for all these wonderful replies, preferences, and information. Elise & I have decided to play it by ear, make it to SDC and then decide. Thanks to you all, we have a much better understanding of the unique aspects of each ❤️ Excited to see where we end up!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Finisterre - yes it’s busy but a brief walk takes you to the deserted Praia do Mar de Fora. We were there in June 23 beach to ourselves.

View attachment 166196
I too, love that beach and have been there on two different occasions. For as busy as Finesterre is, the area around this beach was very relaxing and empty of people with the exception of a few locals.

Arribada albergue in Muxia. You can get a private beautiful room with private bath. Or a wonderful dormitory setting. Be sure to walk out to the church: Señora de Barca. If you like hustle and bustle, go on to Finisterre, but if you like a quieter fishing village where there are just pilgrims and locals go to Muxia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi Chrissy, There's also Lires, which is a small peaceful, sweet town next to the sea, between Muxia and Fisterra. It's a great place to pause; many pilgrims enjoy the peaceful, reflective stopover there. Lires is a special place. Often pilgrims stop there overnight when walking from Fisterra to Muxia. I'm biased, as I retired and now live near 3 m from there :) and get to share with many pilgrims as they pass through.

This year, once a week (Thursdays) during peregrine season, there's also a "pilgrim heart retreat' offered in Lires - where you can creatively reflect with others as you prepare the journey home. For more information on the offering, go to Resources under Miscellaneous and look for "pilgrim heart retreat".

Personally, I feel when possible, it's best to experience both Fisterra and Muxia. Fisterra, altho more crowed and touristy, is a very etheric place when you get more outside town, and walk on the camino trails from there to the lighthouse. There's rich ancient history there, and magic in the land there. Ask locals, they will have many stories for you about the history there. Muxia on the other hand, is a very powerful place to be in its own right, with evocative spiritual history. Either way, there's as true sense of completion there, along the sea, whether in Fisterra, Lires, or Muxia, that are all along the way.

Blessings on your journey! Caitlin

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back