• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cyclists

Krieg01

Time of past OR future Camino
No experience
Hello, I'm going cycle from Leon to Santiago late September, early October, my wife is walking the same route but starting a week earlier, I guess I have some hesitancy thinking cyclist are frowned upon, so ring your bell and be respectful is the advice I see. 🙂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess I have some hesitancy thinking cyclist are frowned upon
That's unfortunate. Cyclists have just as much right to use the Camino routes as any others. Observe the rights of way, warn walkers - a gentle shout is as good as a bell if its quiet, and you should be fine. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's unfortunate. Cyclists have just as much right to use the Camino routes as any others. Observe the rights of way, warn walkers - a gentle shout is as good as a bell if its quiet, and you should be fine. Buen camino.
Thank you for the advice, Buen Camino 🙌

I once encountered an Irish cyclist who had composed a song with lyrics to the effect that a bicycle was coming (I did not recognize the tune, but it was something traditional and Celtic) and would be passing soon. If you have a decent voice, you might want to try this.
I luv it, ❤️ 🎶 🎵

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We only had issues when they were right on top of us when passing. Many close calls and heart scares. Wish all bikes had the same bell tone

I'd recommend researching basic bike/hiker etiquette. There are many articles online related to mtn bike/hiker interactions.

#1 is *slow down* when passing. Riding past people slowly is an order of magnitude safer for everyone. By slow, I mean... Under 5mph.
S L O W.

Unless you can be more than a 1.5 meters away. In which case you can ride faster.

#2 call out your intention to pass on the left/right. That's complicated by language choices. Pass on left should be default if you have a choice. A bell before you say "on your left" is better.

#3 Don't splash! Your tires can throw water more than a meter. Be respectful.

#4 look ahead down the trail. Plan ahead to slow/stop if needed. If the trail is narrow, you may have to slow/wait until the hikers can make room. That is *your* problem, not their problem.

#5 be friendly. Everyone wants a healthy/happy Camino. Avoid the temptation to view it as exercise... Say "Buen Camino", dwell sometimes. Be a person vs. a hazard and everyone will benefit

I'm an avid cyclist as well as a pelegrino... I've seen too many bikers who are inconsiderate/rude.

as one who has cycled (and walked) the Camino Frances, I suggest that most of your Camino is going to be “on road”, not on the walkers trail, especially from Rabanal to Molinaseca. Do not even think about riding the track from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca. Take the road, but be very careful, it’s an 1100 metre descent via a very twisting road. Be prepared to stop when you encounter cars/trucks on your side of the road. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, I'm going cycle from Leon to Santiago late September, early October, my wife is walking the same route but starting a week earlier, I guess I have some hesitancy thinking cyclist are frowned upon, so ring your bell and be respectful is the advice I see. 🙂
I rode a bike from Burgos to Leon. I had no idea there was a separate Camino bike route. I had not riden a bike in 10 years and on the first day I rode two sections, including going through gravel and sand. It was a nightmare for me. Luckily, the first night I ran into a couple I had met previously, who helped me map out the bike route, which is adjacent to the Camino as much as possible, and it was immeasurably better.
When I walked three times before (with the last time being eight years ago), there seem to be only Italian and Spanish cyclists, riding and training on the hiking route. I thought they could be quite rude, at times, and if you were in a hostel with them, you saw a lot of flesh being flashed, and they could also be quite loud.
I just came back from Camino Frances a few weeks ago. The cyclist I saw on the hiking route were completely different. They were from all different countries--quite nice and obliging to the hikers. They were just like any other hiker at hotel. But, the one problem that still existed was usually not enough warning before they over take the hikers.
Years again, I once had to jump out of the way, without enough warning, striking my head very hard on packed earth – – luckily not on a stone – – but still had bleeding and was dazed for a short period. Unfortunately, this problem of not warning the hikers, continues. So cyclists, please, please somehow figure out how to warn hikers before you overtake them. Worst case scenario is someone could be hurt, or even die from a head injury. And the cyclist can be sued.

Yes please please do ring a bell when you are far back
Remember a walking pilgrim could just step sideways to avoid a rock or a hole.
People often ask me ' Am I not afraid walking the Camino on my own? my answer always is " I am only afraid of being knocked down by a cyclist".

After some interesting behaviour today en route to El Burgo Ranero.... If there is an asphalt road <2 meters from the Camino path, perhaps cyclists could/should use that. We had several moments today when I wondered "why aren't they using the empty road?" It is better for all involved.... Bikes are vehicles, not pedestrians. Yes! Mtb is fun and trails should be shared!
But insisting on riding hardpack gravel with pedestrians instead of asphalt that is so close... Seems a poor decision for everyone

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd recommend researching basic bike/hiker etiquette. There are many articles online related to mtn bike/hiker interactions.

#1 is *slow down* when passing. Riding past people slowly is an order of magnitude safer for everyone. By slow, I mean... Under 5mph.
S L O W.

Unless you can be more than a 1.5 meters away. In which case you can ride faster.

#2 call out your intention to pass on the left/right. That's complicated by language choices. Pass on left should be default if you have a choice. A bell before you say "on your left" is better.

#3 Don't splash! Your tires can throw water more than a meter. Be respectful.

#4 look ahead down the trail. Plan ahead to slow/stop if needed. If the trail is narrow, you may have to slow/wait until the hikers can make room. That is *your* problem, not their problem.

#5 be friendly. Everyone wants a healthy/happy Camino. Avoid the temptation to view it as exercise... Say "Buen Camino", dwell sometimes. Be a person vs. a hazard and everyone will benefit

I'm an avid cyclist as well as a pelegrino... I've seen too many bikers who are inconsiderate/rude.
Well said, I’m a peregrino & a cyclist as well. Now if the local cyclist would follow these suggestions that would be great.

Perhaps because the road won't always be empty, and they would prefer the relative safety of the senda?
1 car per 30 minutes on a 2 lane.... Is empty.
If they prefer the senda, great! But don't become the menace that you fear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have had a bike and used one for almost 70 years. I am pro-bike and I every year I host many long distance bikers at my home (via Warm Showers).

I am anti-bike on the camino or any trail designed for walkers. I consider it an imposition to step aside for a bike.

The same mentality as those who ride bikes on the sidewalk.

I have had a bike and used one for almost 70 years. I am pro-bike and I every year I host many long distance bikers at my home (via Warm Showers).
Yo también, but the Camino is not a public footpath restricted only to pedestrians. In some countries (I'm thinking of one in particular) you're trespassing and likely to be shot, other countries enshrine public rights of way in their law, Spain is somewhat in-between. There may or may not be a legal definition of a public right of way in Spain, even many Spanish are unsure. Has anyone ever been prosecuted for illegally riding a bike along a Camino?

Yo también, but the Camino is not a public footpath restricted only to pedestrians. In some countries (I'm thinking of one in particular) you're trespassing and likely to be shot, other countries enshrine public rights of way in their law, Spain is somewhat in-between. There may or may not be a legal definition of a public right of way in Spain, even many Spanish are unsure. Has anyone ever been prosecuted for illegally riding a bike along a Camino?
Restrictions? Trespassing? Lawful? Legal?

The way you are coming at this does not align with my mindset.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When in Spain you can ride Eurovelo 1 and Eurovelo 3 - both designated cyclists routes. They also known as the Camino Frances (EV3), Camino Portuguese (EV1) and the Via de la Plata (EV1).

Seems the powers that be appear to think that people can navigate these routes either as a cyclist or a walker.

When in Spain you can ride Eurovelo 1 and Eurovelo 3 - both designated cyclists routes. They also known as the Camino Frances (EV3), Camino Portuguese (EV1) and the Via de la Plata (EV1).

Seems the powers that be appear to think that people can navigate these routes either as a cyclist or a walker.
The Eurovelo 3 makes some really weird detours, though. See that loop it does through Aoiz/Agoitz between Roncesvalles and Pamplona, for example. No idea why they decided on that.

And they're not insignificant detours either - SJPdP to Santiago via the Eurovelo 3 is about 140km longer than the Camino Francés.

Having said that, from what I can tell there are cycling roads close to (sometimes right next to) the walking route for most of the Francés, and in some cases those even follow the ancient walking route better than the current walking route, so with a few exceptions there's really no "need" to cycle on the walking path.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...
To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back