• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 2 ended up with 2 big blisters

SooYunKim

Time of past OR future Camino
09.22.2014 - 11.1.2014 Camino Frances from SJPP & Camino Finisterre-Muxia
My second day on Camino ended up with 2 big blisters and extremely sore feet in Larrasoaña.
So today, I take other people's advise; sending my bagpack to next town and going light for at least a couple of days.
I may have to use bus or taxi for a while.
I wish I could walk every meters of Camino, but if I keep walking with my 14 lbs bagpack like last 2 days, I'm afraid that I may not finish this journey.
I like every minite on Camino so far.
So many nice people, such beautiful sceneries.
Have not met anyone from this forum yet, I am sure I will get to meet some soon. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,

I am very sorry to learn about your blister problem. Some say that blisters are a "gift" from the Camino but it is one gift we could all live without. There is a lot of information on this forum regarding the treatment of blisters. You might want to check the search engine on right side of the top of the forum page. It can take a few days to adjust so you might want to take it easy for awhile. Shorter walks, longer breaks, changing socks every two hours and the list goes on. Please don't give up. Buen Camino!

Hola

First week many pilgrims experiences blisters so help your feet to heal.
Change socks during the day.
Take off your shoes/boots when you rest, so your feet can breath.
In the evening, give your feet a warm foot bath with some soap or foot salt.
Also, if you continue to have problem, contemplate if your shoes are to small?
Your feet swell by walking and therefor your shoes should be 1/2 to 1 size larger than normal.

Hope this helps and
Buen Camino

Lettinggo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The subject of blisters is well covered elsewhere. I would repeat my previous comment...
BLISTERS:
This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - Vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners/pads from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to average no more than around 22-24 kms a day - ocassionally down to 15 kms.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters!]

Blisters? Lettinggo got it right, soggy socks in a shoe/boot too tight ot too loose (even worse) will do it so change your socks at lunch time and even if its freezing don't sleep wearing them-you feet will be be warm pink and puffy soft in the morning, not something you want to stick into a boot and walk all day on.. Now you are faced with the dilema - pad them well with gauze and plaster tape or (OMG) run a disinfected needle and thread through them and leave the thread in place. Enough Compostelas to cover my wall and I have had exactly one blister on my pinky treated for two days with a band-aid so I'm no expert. I have seen others suffering and while the needle trick is something out of the Inquisition it seems to work. I would die first.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola

First week many pilgrims experiences blisters so help your feet to heal.
Change socks during the day.
Take off your shoes/boots when you rest, so your feet can breath.
In the evening, give your feet a warm foot bath with some soap or foot salt.
Also, if you continue to have problem, contemplate if your shoes are to small?
Your feet swell by walking and therefor your shoes should be 1/2 to 1 size larger than normal.

Hope this helps and
Buen Camino

Lettinggo

The only thing to add is why are you getting the blisters? Odds are you felt something during the day and ignored it. It can be something simple like socks not pulled up. Or bad lacing.

Force yourself to stop and adjust every so often.

Thank you all for kind replies. :)

I have read posting in this forum many times before I leave home and I thought I followed every advises I could remember but I guess I was wrong.
I think I ignored warning signals that my body sent.
I should have taken breaks more often.

Right now, I am in Cizur Menor waiting for Albergue Roncal open.
I took a bus to get here.
After checking in, I am going to take a bus to Pamplona and walk back.

I don't want to believe this bluster problem is a blessing.
Still, it's a part of the Camino, I don't complain. ;)
It will get better eventually, and I'll just give my body time to get used to Camino.

Thank you all once again.
You are angels just as everyone I've met so far on Camino. :)
(This Camino is so filled with angels, seriously!)

Oh, I have not tried panty liners yet.
I should try that tomorrow.
One of my friends tried feminine napkins which is thicker than panty liners and it worked perfectly for him.(yes, 'him'. LOL)

You wrote

"Right now, I am in Cizur Menor waiting for Albergue Roncal open"

The lady there will help you with your blisters. She is very knowledgable about them. Make sure to show her your boots and sox also. She will advise.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Soo-- what type blisters prevention measure did you used? I made a ritual every morning of foot caring as follows:

1. Shower before going to bed, not the mornings; extra moist feet make the skin more prone to blisters.
2. I placed surgical tape and a tape brand Nexcare that was amazing in keeping friction and humidity away from spots. I placed the tape over any spot on my feet that were bound to friction (hot spots) with the boots.
3. After placing tape, I covered the open areas on my whole feet with vaseline, emphasizing the tips and areas between toes.
4. I used Ininjinj socks; feet felt very cool and light even in waterproof boots in July.
5.I took breaks at least every other hour (minimum). I forced myself by establishing coffee hours and planning stops ahead of time.

The first 3 days are rough for everybody; your body is getting used to long distance hiking, emotionally is a challenge as well. Do not despair, completely normal and you can get over this hump. Cover your blisters with compeed of simply go into a health clinic (they are wonderful in Spain) and ask for advice. Pharmacists in Spain, and specially those along the Camino, are also very knowledgeable and will tell you exactly what to do to get better fast. Metadine is a great over the counter antiseptic that speeds us blister healing. Get a small bottle, apply on clean surface, and let it dry.

Also, please do not be discouraged by having to bus some kms and send your bag ahead some days. It is your pilgrimage. Buen Camino!!

My uncle, who is an avid AT hiker, gave me the best advice before we went on Camino. Stop every 2-3 hours. Take your shoes and socks off (even if you put them right back on). This will eliminate any bulging of your socks inside your boots/shoes which will get rid of the friction causing the blisters. Also lets them air out. Only had 1 blister on my Camino. That was the day I didn't stop and take my shoes and socks off every 2-3 hours. Buen Camino !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In over 2000K I have had only two small blisters. One when I continued my first Camino (to Finisterre) and one a couple of weeks ago when my walking companion insisted on 32K to Mont de Gozo on a hot day.

I don't want to believe this bluster problem is a blessing.
Still, it's a part of the Camino, I don't complain. ;)
It will get better eventually, and I'll just give my body time to get used to Camino.

Please keep us informed so we will know how you are doing. Stay Strong, you can do this.
Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Friction, moisture and heat are the blisters playground. Eliminate those and you'll be blister free. Never, ever ignore something that is rubbing. I'd try @Stephen Nicholls trick with the panty liner. Or sandals. If you do get a blister don't let it get to the stage of tearing. I'm a fan of the (sterilised) needle pricking to keep skin whole but let out the liquid and relieve pressure. It works for me. Then pad to eliminate the friction. Keep it clean and dry. Air feet every two hours, change socks frquently.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's got to be your shoe/sock combination.
If you are not using thin, synthetic socks, see if you can get some. There are sport shops in Pamlona. Your feet must stay dry to avoid blisters, and socks made of natural fibers tend to hold moisture.
Could be the shoes as well.
Either way, don't give up on doing the Camino, even if you have to rest your feet a couple of days so they will heal and jump ahead some via bus.
Buen Camino

I will read and read and read these threads until I remember every words.
Thank you so much for all the advises.
Yes, I did hear that Señora Maribel is an expert on treating blisters.
Now I am in good hand.
I will keep informing here how I deal with this blister problems.(I hope it to be a very short one.)
Love y'all. ;)

I will read and read and read these threads until I remember every words.
Thank you so much for all the advises.
Yes, I did hear that Señora Maribel is an expert on treating blisters.
Now I am in good hand.
I will keep informing here how I deal with this blister problems.(I hope it to be a very short one.)
Love y'all. ;)
SooYun, do not worry. Do what you must do. I sent my bag ahead today to Pamplona. The cold, damp air made my hip hurt. I am happy with what I did. You take care of yourself first. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SooYun, do not worry. Do what you must do. I sent my bag ahead today to Pamplona. The cold, damp air made my hip hurt. I am happy with what I did. You take care of yourself first. Buen Camino.
You too CaptBuddy listen to those tender joints nurture them and Buen camino:)

I'm a fan of the (sterilised) needle pricking to keep skin whole but let out the liquid and relieve pressure. It works for me..

When I told a pharmacist on the Camino I wanted to drain my blister, she sold me a cheap disposable syringe needle and a small bottle of iodine. I'd never thought of doing it this way. A very clean, surgical and safe method of doing it. Just stick the sterilized needle in, and draw out the fluid; repeat until drained. Make sure to wipe with iodine before and after doing this. Worked like a charm for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My friend Stefan did the same thing the other week and it worked well.
All good advice but I will tell you what worked for me. I left SJPdP with Salomon 4DGTX hiking boots, Smartwool socks (medium or higher, not sure) and a liner sock. This all added up to moisture trapped in my boot which caused my feet to move about inside resulting in blisters. By the 5th day, I was blistering on both feet and by day 7 and just before Torres del Rio, I was flat out on my bottom on the Camino. Thankfully, my Australian friend with 3 previous Caminos and a wealth of information assessed my condition. Wrong socks! I tossed the liners out and he gave me two pair of his own socks; a lightweight acrylic/polyester blend which worked perfectly. Listen to your feet. If you have a hot spot...stop, remove your shoe and examine the problem before you get a blister. If you do have a blister, draining it and taping it is vital. When you have arrived at your albergue, remove your shoes and bandage and air dry your blisters. They will heal quicker I promise.

Today I took breaks more often than I did for last three days. But for last 2 hours, I did not take a break because I was too tired already(around 6pm), all I could think of was checking in at the albergue and eat.
Well, guess what. I got one more huge blister and unbelievelt sore(and numb) feet.
Now I am not sure if I could ever get used to Camino.
I will be walking less kilomere tomorrow and trying to figure out what I should do.
Maybe I am just too tired of all the waling from Cizur Menor to Puente La Reina.
Because of this foot problem, I spend too much time moving one place to another, I can not really see or enjoy anything.
So exhausted.

Soo Yun Kim

Hello

Everyone reading your comments feel your pain. I am so sorry for you. It can't get much worse for you, so it can only get better.

You said that you arrived at 6 pm. What time in the morning did you start your walk? Are the blisters on your heels or your toes? You said that you are tired. Are you getting enough sleep? You mentioned taking a bus or taxi in your previous threads. Maybe that is a good idea for you to consider doing today and you can find a doctor and have your feet treated. Consider staying at a small pension, casa rural or hotel and get a good night's sleep. When you start out walking again just go for 10 km and not 20km like you just did.

Stay brave and strong.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dennis is so right. You are not listening to yourself and your feet. 6pm is way too late! You need rest and relaxation every day and you need to know when to take time out. Don't push yourself. Write down the local taxi numbers and be mentally prepared to use them!

I think if you are still getting new blisters it may be time to reassess what is going on rather than persevering.
You can get a blister under a blister! Until you eliminate the friction your blistering will not stop. Find out why your boots are rubbing.

But for last 2 hours, I did not take a break
That strategy will not work. Fewer breaks will not mean fewer blisters. When covering distance becomes more important than taking care of your feet, you will continue to have problems.

Good luck. Watch out for infection. Buen camino.

What is the definition of a break? For me, I stop and remove my boots and socks. I let my feet dry and put on a fresh pair of socks. When it is not raining, I hang my damp socks on the back of my backpack with safety pens. Since the sun usually behind you when you are walking, the socks tend to dry them quickly. Of course I hydrate etc...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How about this.
Beth and I met SooYun on the puente this morning leaving Puente de Reina. We walked awhile together, split up, and met up again for lunch in Lorca. When last we saw her, she was enjoying an ice cream before continuing.
We had fun, and enjoyed the visit.

BTW, the fountain at Lorca is a great place to cool your feet. :)

Once again, Thank you all for caring and advises.
You would not imagine how grateful I am. :)

I tried to take breaks more often and dry my feet and boots completely this morning.
It worked a bit but the problem is that it takes up a lots of amount of time.
I took three 20 minute breaks in 2 hours.
To me, it's insane.
So, I decided to take off my boots and walk in sandals.
Guess what, that was the answer to my issue!
Of course I must remember putting on sunscreen on my feet every 2 hours at least and since sandals do not absolve shocks much, there could be problems with joints and ankles, still I do not have to scream ouch ouch ouch on every step I take.
From now on, I stick to my trusty sandals. :)

This morning I met two members of this forum; CaptBuddy and his wife Beth.
They are wonderful Camino companions. Having conversation with them made me forget the harsh pains on my feet.
What a delightful couple!
We split up at Lorca because I spent almost an hour chatting with a Korean lady who runs a restaurant with her husband Jose Ramon(they met on Camino and got married).
Thank you CaptBuddy and Beth.
You two are two more angels I met on Camino. ;)

Last edited:

€46,-
Hello - It is so good to learn that you are doing better. I worried about you all day and now I can relax.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No... I paid $90 for those.
Can't ditch them. :p
I've been following your saga, SooYun. So glad to hear you have found some relief. This made me laugh aloud! If you can't find it in your heart to ditch them, maybe you can ship the torture boots home and look for a better shoe for the Camino as you pass through towns (in case the sandals are not serviceable for the whole trek). Be well!

No... I paid $90 for those.
Can't ditch them. :p
I understand. Ninety bucks ain't chump change, but the boots are obviously the source of your foot problems, which will only get worse as you walk, and can lead to other problems in your legs as you adjust how you walk to avoid the pain to your feet.

Sorry to hear this Lettinggo, and you've only got a 6kg rucksack! Yikes, I'd better work on my weight! Hope you're feeling better soon.
Suzanne :)
I too am sorry about your blisters Letting go and hope that they are now well on the mend.....I can empathise with you as regards the pain and inconvenience as I have just recovered from the worst blisters I
've ever had. I was walking on the Camino Salvado walk here in Perth in Western Australia two weeks ago and during the second day of my walk, got very nasty blisters on both my little toes....by the end of the day's walk, both these toes were just giant blisters......I worn my shoes for the past six weeks, the same type of socks etc and followed the same routine as I had done along the Camino Frances, but, for reasons unknown these blisters developed - the luck (or the bad luck) of the draw.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I confess, of all the problems that pilgrims might encounter on the Camino, I'd never even thought of sunburnt feet.

I feel your pain. I hope your feet heal and toughen up soon.

My second day on Camino ended up with 2 big blisters and extremely sore feet in Larrasoaña.
So today, I take other people's advise; sending my bagpack to next town and going light for at least a couple of days.
I wish I could walk every meters of Camino, but if I keep walking with my 14 lbs bagpack like last 2 days, I'm afraid that I may not finish this journey.
Have not met anyone from this forum yet, I am sure I will get to meet some soon. :)
  • Sorry to hear of your blister problem. I did 10+ months and hundreds of miles of hiking to prepare for my first camino - and did not suffer one single blister during this training period (different boots, single/double socks/cream etc.) Everything went well during the first 2 weeks on the CF, then on the third week I had one big and one small blister on the ball of my left foot. I tried Compeed but it didn't work. Then I used the needle & thread treatment, leaving the thread hanging - and the blisters were gone in a couple of days. I was blister free for the rest of the 33-day caminino. This post is not so much giving you specific advice on how to treat your blisters - it's just to give some encouragement! You'll find a way that will work for you!! You're right about the scenery and the nice people on the camino!! I'm starting my second camino (CP) in about 2 weeks - and hope that it'll be blister free - but am prepared for the worst!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
  • Sorry to hear of your blister problem. I did 10+ months and hundreds of miles of hiking to prepare for my first camino - and did not suffer one single blister during this training period (different boots, single/double socks/cream etc.) Everything went well during the first 2 weeks on the CF, then on the third week I had one big and one small blister on the ball of my left foot. I tried Compeed but it didn't work. Then I used the needle & thread treatment, leaving the thread hanging - and the blisters were gone in a couple of days. I was blister free for the rest of the 33-day caminino. This post is not so much giving you specific advice on how to treat your blisters - it's just to give some encouragement! You'll find a way that will work for you!! You're right about the scenery and the nice people on the camino!! I'm starting my second camino (CP) in about 2 weeks - and hope that it'll be blister free - but am prepared for the worst!
BTW, on my last camino I started with a pack that was 17 pounds. After 3 days (after crossing the Pyrenees and Roncevalles) I gave things away and reduced the pack weight down to 11 pounds (without water or food!) This year I'll use a frameless backpack (Osprey Hornet 32) which weights just 1 pound 5 ounces empty - so the total pack weight is now only 9 pounds!! Your 14 pound pack is very light for most people - but for me it's still on the 'heavy' side!!

I have recently walked SJPDP to Pamplona and got no blisters I used Compeeds as prevention and changed socks ( 1000 mile socks which have liners incorpated)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.