• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day one complete!

wanderwoman

Wow! First day from Roncevalles to zubiri done! What a gorgeous walk. So many friendly peregrinos and such magnificent scenery! I'm staying at El Palo de Avellano - lovely rooms, great feeling to it. I took advice from the forum and soaked my feet in the cold river upon arrival...manna from heaven! I was trying to explain to a friend how I feel...Sore feet and a Full Heart!

Thank you camino!

xAmanda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good news! There are many lovely places to soak your feet along the Camino - one of my favorites is way further on but remember, the albergue in Trabadelo has a pool of constantly flowing spring water in the back yard - so nice! On the down side, I have met leeches in Spain, unpleasant but not nasty. Should one come and say howdy to your foot or leg don't yank it off, that is nasty, have some matches handy light one, put it out, and place on it's sitting down place - its gone! Buen Camino.

Leeches are coming back as "alternative " medicine. There are about 600 species of leeches, but only 15 or so have the proper enzymes in their saliva to greatly improve blood flow, thus bringing more blood to an inflamed area. In addition, the saliva has some pain blocking properties.
Buen "if it sucks...it may be a good thing" Camino,
Arn

Enjoy your Camino. We all wish we were there with you.

I stayed in Lorosona, just beyond Zubiri. But I stopped in Zubiri for lunch.

Enjoy Pamplona tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So the slabs into Zubiri didn't dent your spirit (or hurt your knees)? Great! You enjoy the rest of the days as much. Don't overstretch yourself though. One good day is just that, one good day. It does not mean you are wonderwoman wanderwoman. There are many days to go. Take it easy for the first few until you get your Camino legs. Buen Camino

All such great advice! Day two has kicked my butt! In pamplona, probably walked too fast and my pack too heavy, plus a bit of jet lag and I am whipped! Blisters coming up on the side of my heels so will be attending to them as soon as I can lift my head off the bed. It was a hot day today! Staying at casa ibarrela ...what a terrific hostel. The warmest welcome as I staggered in at 2pm feeling exhausted!

Thank you so much for all the wisdom!

Sore feet but a full heart!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get that blister seen to as soon as you can. And enjoy your Camino.
'Envious' isn't the right word for the feeling I had on reading your OP but it's close. You couldn't imagine how much I'd like to be there.

Listen to Falcon-- force yourself if you have to to take breaks, drink water. You will feel compelled to match somebody's pace. DON'T. Let others go if their pace is not good for you, there are amazing people all along the Camino, you will meet other friends. This is not a race , but it is an endurance challenge. REST, HYDRATE, STRETCH. Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All such great advice! Day two has kicked my butt! In pamplona, probably walked too fast and my pack too heavy, plus a bit of jet lag and I am whipped! Blisters coming up on the side of my heels so will be attending to them as soon as I can lift my head off the bed. It was a hot day today! Staying at casa ibarrela ...what a terrific hostel. The warmest welcome as I staggered in at 2pm feeling exhausted!

Thank you so much for all the wisdom!

Sore feet but a full heart!

YOU will walk your own pace, no other Wanderwomen , """ OR """ by the time you reach Burgos the following normally occur;
1/ A few days relaxing whilst your feet repair
or
2/ Home you go

You have 600KM to go so please relax and enjoy.
The camino family [ now your companions ] will not stop when you have foot problems so please consider this when walking.
Its your camino mate, no other person-persons.

Have a great 3 weeks ........slow up , listen to your body and enjoy.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much. I'm thinking of just walking to uterga tomorrow, and going very slow. And stopping even sooner if I need to. I've lightened my bag, treated my blister and had a good rest this evening. Feeling a bit more heartened, mostly by your words of encouragement.

Thank you all so much.

xAmanda

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I shared diner with you last night (red haired Deb from Melbourne) and am also in Pamplona tonight! Take it slow tomorrow and you'll be fine... Hope to share a drink with you sometime soon!

1. Your pack was too heavy. What did you remove and why?
2. The way up to Alto de Perdon is both an easy walk and well worth it. That said, the way down is treacherous. Make sure your feet are well taken care of ...now! The rips and tears are worse when there's no stairs.
I should be in Sarria on October 1st. Should you keep up your pace and not take care of your feet. I may just see you there...getting off the train.
Slowwwwwllllyyyyyy. Enjoy.
Arn

The way up to Alto de Perdon is ... an easy walk
When it has been raining, the walk up is among the most treacherous stretches! I had the muffled satisfaction of watching some aggressive bicyclists slide down the hill about thirty meters into the scrub brush. When it became my turn to walk it, I almost duplicate their feat. Karma in both cases.;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When it has been raining, the walk up is among the most treacherous stretches! I had the muffled satisfaction of watching some aggressive bicyclists slide down the hill about thirty meters into the scrub brush. When it became my turn to walk it, I almost duplicate their feat. Karma in both cases.;)
Interesting...I never encountered rain my entire Camino Frances, or on any of them for that matter:rolleyes:

Interesting...I never encountered rain my entire Camino Frances, or on any of them for that matter:rolleyes:
Well.....lucky you:mad:
I've walked the Alto de Perdón a few times. The first time with fantastic weather and an incredible view. The last time in pouring rain, so much so, that it was impossible even to see the blades on the top of the windmills. And the mud...just like Falcon showed on his photo! Anne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I shared diner with you last night (red haired Deb from Melbourne) and am also in Pamplona tonight! Take it slow tomorrow and you'll be fine... Hope to share a drink with you sometime soon!
Hi Deb....kept an eye out for you girls last night but couldn't' remember where we were meeting. If I can figure out how to send you a private message on this I will...if you can send me one! Love to catch up for a drink. Feeling much better this morning and it's my birthday so extra chipper! XxxA

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Wanderwoman. What a great way to celebrate it ... On the Camino.
Have a great day.
Suzanne :)

Happy Birthday and Buen Camino! I'm so glad you are feeling better this morning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a memorable birthday this will be for you! "Where was I when I turned (_) ? I was in Pamplona, on the Camino, making my way to Santiago." Happy Birthday and Buen Camino!

Happy Birthday wanderwoman, but remember tomorrow is another walking day maybe? Beun camino.:)

Belated happy thing Amanda. Guess you survived the descent. Just learnt a new Camino rule - always watch for when Arn is walking! How do you do it man? Never got wet? Like Anna and Falcon I have took my life in my hands descending from the Alto de Perdon in the wet. Not a pleasant experience at all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Debr

I see that you tackled the Camino in April, what was the weather like at that time of the year including May? I will be doing this route starting 8 April 2015.

Your response would be apprteciated

Ossiemate (Melbourne)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.