• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decided to go!!

Blake Beard

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugués
Hello All,

Just writing this proclaiming I'm officially planning my first Camino for next June in 2018. Ive been obsessed since I discovered it existed last month. Ive been reading and watching a ton of information and I will choose the Portugal way starting in Porto. Thanks for taking the time to read this and if there is any tips for a newbie it will be much appreciated!!!

Blake

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello All,

Just writing this proclaiming I'm officially planning my first Camino for next June in 2018. Ive been obsessed since I discovered it existed last month. Ive been reading and watching a ton of information and I will choose the Portugal way starting in Porto. Thanks for taking the time to read this and if there is any tips for a newbie it will be much appreciated!!!

Blake

Blake, my wife and I walked from Porto via the central route in April this year. As you have probably found already, you can take either the central or coastal routes. We went via the central, but if I was to do it again, would probably walk the first couple of days on the coastal route as most of day one in particular out of Porto was on busy roads with traffic for most of the day in close proximity. You can join up to the central from the coastal midway on day 2 or of course go coastal the entire distance. In any case, we really enjoyed Portugal and the Portuguese people are great.
Enjoy the planning. Likely once you complete your first Camino you will be hooked like many of us are.

if there is any tips for a newbie it will be much appreciated!!!

Hi Blake! Congrats.
As you read through the forums you will find a wealth of information on every topic. The Search box at the top right will provide you with many, many hours of entertainment! However I have 3 points I pass on anytime someone asks about the Camino . . .

1) Make sure you have comfortable shoes
- The type is debateable and you can read those debates on the forum threads, but make sure they are comfortable!
2) Very very very light pack!
- 6kg is ideal!!! 10% of your body weight is the starting ball park.
3) Rain Gear!
- Be prepared for heavy rain, even if it is just a dollar store poncho during the dry season, always have some form of rain protection!

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Blake- great to hear about your enthusiasm for your Camino! No specific advice aside from saying that once you've done all your planning and made lots of choices about what you will do and how you will do it (the planning stage is great fun!) try and be flexible once you've started, so that you can change the plan on the go and respond to all of the various (and hard to predict) opportunities that come up as you progress along the way... most of the best bits for me were the experiences I could never have foreseen...

Bueno Camino

That is great news Blake. I enjoyed walking the coastal route so much last year that I am going back to walk the central route this year.

Bom Caminho!

Blake, my wife and I walked from Porto via the central route in April this year. As you have probably found already, you can take either the central or coastal routes. We went via the central, but if I was to do it again, would probably walk the first couple of days on the coastal route as most of day one in particular out of Porto was on busy roads with traffic for most of the day in close proximity. You can join up to the central from the coastal midway on day 2 or of course go coastal the entire distance. In any case, we really enjoyed Portugal and the Portuguese people are great.
Enjoy the planning. Likely once you complete your first Camino you will be hooked like many of us are.

Yes, I'm looking at walking the first day on the coast to avoid the busy traffic and roads...then cut across to the central route. Does this add any time to the trip? I'm looking to complete the camino in 12 days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Blake! Congrats.
As you read through the forums you will find a wealth of information on every topic. The Search box at the top right will provide you with many, many hours of entertainment! However I have 3 points I pass on anytime someone asks about the Camino . . .

1) Make sure you have comfortable shoes
- The type is debateable and you can read those debates on the forum threads, but make sure they are comfortable!
2) Very very very light pack!
- 6kg is ideal!!! 10% of your body weight is the starting ball park.
3) Rain Gear!
- Be prepared for heavy rain, even if it is just a dollar store poncho during the dry season, always have some form of rain protection!

Buen Camino!

Yes, I have a running friend that is willing to help me pick out my shoes that will help me avoid blisters LOL

I do have a question about water and water bottles....should I buy a reusable bottle or just buy disposable ones as I go? Thanks for your help!!

Yes, I'm looking at walking the first day on the coast to avoid the busy traffic and roads...then cut across to the central route. Does this add any time to the trip? I'm looking to complete the camino in 12 days.
This will not add any time as you are not really doing any back tracking. My wife and I have always used refillable bottles. Actually empty Power Aide bottle work great, light and no spill tip. We always fill bottles at our overnight stop and avoid any water fonts on the way as you have no idea how the water has been treated or complete lack of treating.

Yes, I have a running friend that is willing to help me pick out my shoes that will help me avoid blisters LOL

I do have a question about water and water bottles....should I buy a reusable bottle or just buy disposable ones as I go? Thanks for your help!!

I carry 2 500ml bottles with me and they are just the disposable ones, I refill them until they break down then buy a new one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning to go in 2018 too. Was contemplating doing Le Puy - SJPDP in April/May and then return Sept/Oct to do either the Frances or CDN
Is April still too cold? Just want to avoid crowds, but on the other hand don't want to be a single woman totally alone out there!

I had some very cold/windy/wet/sleety days on the Le Puy in May. Not sure I'd want to start in April, certainly not early April; the climate of the Aubrac Plateau is harsh and it is usually covered in snow in winter.

I had some very cold/windy/wet/sleety days on the Le Puy in May. Not sure I'd want to start in April, certainly not early April; the climate of the Aubrac Plateau is harsh and it is usually covered in snow in winter.
Thanks Kanga! Useful info for sure
Otherwise did you enjoy the walk from Le Puy to SJPDP?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, so much so that I did it twice, the first time was in autumn, the second in spring (when we took the Cele option).

Very cool. I haven't done the Portuguese way but I really enjoyed my brief time in Porto.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
UPDATE: I changed my start date to July 1 this summer. Pearl Jam just released their European tour and they have a date in Lisbon! So, I'm planning my camino accordingly lol I plan on finishing the camino around the 13th and then spending my last 2 days in country at the NOS fesitival in Lisbon watching PJ!! If anyone is walking during this timeframe let me know!

Mister Blake, thank you for the update. The Portugues [from Lisbon to SdC] is in my to do list for 2018 but I do not have a date. You are not going to be alone. Enjoy your camino, enjoy the festival in Lisbon. Buena suerte with your planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.