• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte difficulty?

mcpilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
I've walked as far as Leon and
plan to pick up there in April
I’m an avid Camino walker who is due on Del Norte in June. How very difficult is it? Discuss ✨

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is not „very“ difficult. Yes it is a bit more challenging than the Frances especially the first part - let’s say until Bilbao. The difficulty lays in the number of ups and downs which can be quite steep sometimes. The reward will be some stunning views.
But if you’re in good shape you will not have greater difficulties. If you start in Irun with “cold legs” don’t push too hard the first day to avoid stiff muscles.
And you should also have in mind that the Norte has a high percentage of asphalt.

¡Ultreia!

How very difficult is it? Discuss
Kind of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I would say not very. Along the coast, the way often goes through fishing villages which are located on estuaries which were formed by rivers cutting through the hills, hence you often get a steep walk uphill to start your day, but that's about as tough as it gets.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is physically challenging because you are always going up and down hills, every day. For people with bad knees - not a good route. Otherwise - it isn't mountaineering or anything technically challenging. Just lots of ups and downs. Very beautiful as it weaves to/from the coast. There are less albergues and they are further apart than on the Frances, but distances are manageable for most people.

Take it slow on the first day. Stop at Pasaia San Juan from Irun. The Purgatory Trail and Monte Jaizkibel is a demanding stretch. Don't go for long distances yet. Plan your day. Change your itinerary if you must. I changed mine many times. But one thing for sure is your body will adapt to the rigors after five days. You will become stronger and your stamina will increase. You can do that if you have a healthy pair of feet. So treat your legs like a brother. You could only go as far as your feet will take you. So take small bites on the first few days.

Having done the Frances and more recently the Norte, I´d say the first week on the Norte is a challenge and I´d definitely recommend poles too. After that, lots of ups and downs but not as strenuous as the first week (in my opinion :) ).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.