• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

del Norte May 2022

Larry Gordon

Feet don’t fail me now...
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (French Way) beginning in SJPDP 26 April 2019
Buen Camino Fellow Peregrinos,

My name is Larry Gordon, I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA. I plan to start the Camino del Norte on 5 May 2022 leaving from Irun.
This will be my 2nd Camino journey, I walked the Camino Frances in April and May 2019.
I hope to meet some of you along the way!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My name is Larry Gordon, I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA. I plan to start the Camino del Norte on 5 May 2022 leaving from Irun.
This will be my 2nd Camino journey, I walked the Camino Frances in April and May 2019.
Will miss you planning to start same on 16 May 2022

Welcome to the forum Larry. Quick question for you...how was the weather on your 2019 April/May journey? I anticipate a "mixed bag" of elements but hoping for more sun than rain!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome to the forum Larry. Quick question for you...how was the weather on your 2019 April/May journey? I anticipate a "mixed bag" of elements but hoping for more sun than rain!
Started up the Pyrenees on the 25th of April, we were asked to turn back at Orrison due to sleet, and high winds. Made it to Roncesvalles the next day. Weather cleared and it was great, with warm temps and clear conditions until just before Burgos, then heavy rain and wind. Nearly perfect weather after that! Temps most days were around 15 to 16 degrees in the afternoon, most mornings were glorious,cool but not particularly cold; only a few mornings were around 3-5 degrees.
I wish you well on your journey!

Buen Camino @Larry Gordon - and enjoy the walk. We walked the Norte at about the same time of the year and I found it very beautiful. At the start we had quite a bit of cold and rain, but the second half the weather was glorious. We did not deviate to the Primitivo but most people did. I don't quite understand why - yes, it is beautiful (I've walked the Primitivo since) but continuing on the Norte we had some fabulous experiences and there are a couple of real gems - in fact one of my favourite stretches. We also rather liked that there were far fewer pilgrims after the turn-off.

I walked late April into mid May before turning to Oviedo...plenty of rain in the beginning but still breath-taking...I hope you get to see the Bufones! There was a place slightly off the Way I didn't hear about until I was past it, and didn't go back...I thought "next time"...in the meantime it has become quite the tourist draw due to Game of Thrones :rolleyes: , but you might want to look up San Juan de Gaztelugatxe to see if it's worth the detour (and possible crowds) to do...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino @Larry Gordon - and enjoy the walk. We walked the Norte at about the same time of the year and I found it very beautiful. At the start we had quite a bit of cold and rain, but the second half the weather was glorious. We did not deviate to the Primitivo but most people did. I don't quite understand why - yes, it is beautiful (I've walked the Primitivo since) but continuing on the Norte we had some fabulous experiences and there are a couple of real gems - in fact one of my favourite stretches. We also rather liked that there were far fewer pilgrims after the turn-off.
Thank you! I plan to stay a day or 2 in Llanes, a good friend has invited me to stay there in a family home. I will stay the course on the del Norte. I expect rain and cold, I got a good dose of that on the Frances in 2019.
I hope to have time to walk to Finisterre after I arrive in Santiago.
Buen Camino!

Hello Larry excellent choice! I did the camino Norte in 2017 leaving irun on May 5th😄.
My weather was terrific.only 2-3 days of rain. We did have some hot days as well after gijon but not to bad. The albergues at that time really impressed me for cleanliness and reasonable prices. But the thing that I always go back to in my mind was the amazing views of the coast for weeks. That is to me ome of the most beautiful regions. Oh yea the food😋 amazing. I did a fair amount of hiking through dense forested regions which was very cool. Hoping travel and just daily life will have returned to mostly normal by then. I'm hoping to start the le puy camino to sjpdp also in May 2022.
Buen camino and keep us posted😉

Departure from Irun moved back 1 day, now leaving on 6 May 2022. Air and land travel arrangements have been reserved, the countdown has begun…

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Departure from Irun moved back 1 day, now leaving on 6 May 2022. Air and land travel arrangements have been reserved, the countdown has begun…
Hey Larry- we will be 2 days behind you starting from Irun on the 8th- a group of 4 Aussies and a Pom, with another Pom joining us in Santander, aged about 52-74, with 4 of us having previously done the Frances in September 2019. Will be watching for your posts with albergue recommendations as you progress, and maybe catch up at some stage- buen camino!

Hey Larry- we will be 2 days behind you starting from Irun on the 8th- a group of 4 Aussies and a Pom, with another Pom joining us in Santander, aged about 52-74, with 4 of us having previously done the Frances in September 2019. Will be watching for your posts with albergue recommendations as you progress, and maybe catch up at some stage- buen camino!
Well we seem to be on parallel paths. I will look for your group and I plan to post albergue recommendations as I go. My plan is to use instagram for my posts, account name is ukantoo.
I lived in Hamilton, QLD and worked in Brisbane for several years, before returning to the States in 2015.
Hope to see you!
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well we seem to be on parallel paths. I will look for your group and I plan to post albergue recommendations as I go. My plan is to use instagram for my posts, account name is ukantoo.
I lived in Hamilton, QLD and worked in Brisbane for several years, before returning to the States in 2015.
Hope to see you!
Buen Camino!
So Larry, I live in Phuket, Thailand but originally a Melbourne boy, we have another from Melbourne, one from Adelaide, and the other Aussie lives in Berlin, but from Sydney, our Pommie mate has lived in Hong Kong for 30 years so we are a real League of Nations!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi Larry, my name is Karen and my husband and I are walking the Del Norte from Irun, leaving on 29 April but having a few days in San Sebastian and are slow walkers so may see you along the way. We also walked the CF April/May 2019 and sounds like you were a day ahead of us. We were blessed with very little rain for that walk but reading a lot of other posts, I am expecting the Del Norte to be quite wet and muddy for the first weeks. Have a great walk!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.