Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difference in walking Litoral to Central route

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Grousedoctor

Apr 15, 2016
www.caminodailyphoto.com
Time of past OR future Camino
When we walked the Central Route, my wife had significant knee problems. However, it wasn’t due to the hills. The cause of her knee problems were the cobblestones. Walking many miles through Portugal on the cobbles caused a great deal of knee stress and discomfort. She did not have any knee problems prior to the Camino.

A couple years later, we walked the Coastal Route. A night and day different experience for her. Few cobbles; no knee problems. So, from our experiences, I’d think the Coastal Route might be the one I’d choose if I had a knee problem. Even with that said, both are great Camino routes!

We crossed over from the coast at Vigo.

Reactions: mvanert

BombayBill

Still Learning
Sep 13, 2017
Rocky Mountains, Canada
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
We walked the Litoral / Coastal for many days and I remember mainly wooden boardwalks. When we did cross over there was no obvious route and so simply took the local bus. Can’t remember which town.

So to answer your questions I think you could stay on the flat coast as long as you want and cross when you wish. My memory is hazy. There are excellent guides and their professional advice is better than mine.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Walkalong

Feb 19, 2017
Canada
Portuguese 2020, 22, 23
Frances 2019, 20, 22, 23
As noted, the Litoral/Coastal is flat until Castelo Do Neiva, and even after that there are only a few hills of about 100 meter elevation gain. If you stick to the Litoral you will even avoid a few of the 100 meter hills on the Coastal.

In February 2020, after Marinhas, I did not find the Litoral well marked and switched to the Coastal at Mar. Perhaps marking of the Litoral has improved.

The Coastal converges with the Central in Redondela. Switching over to the Central at Caminha would allow you to avoid the highest hill on the Central (400 meter elevation gain and drop).

You can see the elevations, and much more info, on Gronze.

Hope this helps.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Jul 15, 2005
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The Coastal converges with the Central in Redondela. Switching over to the Central at Caminha would allow you to avoid the highest hill on the Central (400 meter elevation gain and drop).
Or you could just walk around that portion on tarmac, round the coast to Baiona. Either option is good.

Reactions: Walkalong

woody66

This is my boy !
Jul 14, 2020
UK Lincs
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
I don't recall many cobbles on the coastal.
Walk out of Porto along the Douro to the coast and miss the urban sprawl.
Surfaces were good loved the boardwalks easy on the legs knees (they have a slight give on them)
I don't recall any real hills until after Redondela the memory fades after a couple of years!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

mvanert

Nov 24, 2012
Surrey, Canada
mvanert.ca
2014, 2016, 2018, 2024
Surfaces were good loved the boardwalks easy on the legs knees (they have a slight give on them)
I don't recall any real hills until after Redondela the memory fades after a couple of years!
Thanks!

Frankybaby66

May 1, 2021
Nottingham
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Boardwalks played havoc with my walking poles though.
One of my pole street feet is still under the boardwalk near Labruge.
If anyone finds it, give me a shout 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: woody66

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides