• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Differences between C Portugues and C Frances

Denver Bob

Time of past OR future Camino
First halfCamino Frances (2015)
Second Half Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2017)
My wife and I will be walking the Camino Portugues in a few months. I have walked the Camino Frances last summer. What are the things that are different about it that I should know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I will be walking the Camino Portugues in a few months. I have walked the Camino Frances last summer. What are the things that are different about it that I should know.

Best of luck on your walk . Porto to Santiago was my very first Camino and last year I walked Lisbon to Porto , main differences I found versus the French way were as follows -Lisbon to Porto - Pilgrims dramatically fewer, choices of places to stay far fewer also very few Hostels and practically no Municipal Albergues . distances between destinations usually longer with very limited interim accommodation however that being said I found it manageable and very much enjoyed the solitude . I am 66 and walked in October , it took me 13 days . I am sorry I didn't stay longer in places like Santarim and Tomar they are lovely ,being far less commercialized I found this Camino to have a big advantage over the French Way .
Because of accommodation options is also a little more expensive.
Porto to Santiago -
Again far far fewer Pilgrims than the French Way but more than Lisbon to Porto ,it is almost the flip side of the coin compared to Lisbon to Porto with greater choices of everything including Albergues . It took me 8 days and if doing it again would allow for longer.
Buen Camino
-

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are starting from Lisbon there will be fewer people on the route in comparison to the Camino Frances. Also as there tends to be fewer options re where to stay you tend to meet the same people from day to day and in the albergues. I loved this about the Camino Portugues - while there were fewer on route I felt there was a real community spirit between those who walked the route. While I walked the route on my own I never felt alone. Also I felt that as the route was quieter I had more interaction with the locals - they were very welcoming and friendly and I was glad to be rescued once or twice with water from peoples houses.

Hi Denver Bob. I wal;ked Porto to SDC last year starting late April arriving SDC May 9. First the food is wonderful in Portugal, the portions are huge and the prices are low. You must try the Francesinha and at least one Baclau recipe. Not so easy to find a Pilgrim's menu but you don't really need to, most places serve good food at low prices. Beware when walking by the side of the road - if there is a side of the road! - that, as others have noted, while the Portuguese are so friendly when you meet them, when behind the wheel of a car they seem to transform into wanting to run you into a ditch - if there is a ditch!

most people speak English but a few phrases will get you by, the young people wouldn't let me try out my dreadful Portuguese as they wanted to practise their English.
Not so many albergues, and there can be long distances between places so pack snacks. far fewer fountains, so carry enough water to keep you hydrated.

The albergue at Rates and the Amigos DaMontanha just before the bridge into Barcelos is very good. The Albergue de Peregrino at Ponte de Lima is excellent but has plastic, squeaky mattresses. You must stay at Casa Fernanda - see other posts on this subject re appropriate donation and how to contact to reserve a bed - and if you want to stay in private accommodation before crossing into Spain the next day, Portas do Sol in Tui is very good, right in the centre of the old town. It was very hot when I was walking, hitting 32 degrees in Pontevedra, this really slowed me down, but the weather can be variable.

The Amigos Dos Camino albergue in Pontevedra was very good EXCEPT for the fact that many younger people stayed up until the small hours, coming into the dormitory to make up their beds using high intensity torches at almost 3am. The railway station next door to the albergue has a cafe serving breakfast with good coffee from around 5am. Bom Caminho!

the good
  • fewer pilgrims yay!
  • super boc beer
  • cheaper food
  • nicer food imho
the less good!
  • less accommodation options
  • weather a bit worse due to proximity to Atlantic

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
They were 'well-hard' them Romans. I wouldn't fancy walking anywhere in hob-nailed sandals but that is what they wore to patrol Hadrian's Wall and is presumably what they wore to skip and frolic the roads to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many thanks everyone for these thoughts, I did not ask the question but appreciated reading the responses. I am starting from Lisbon in early April.

Best of luck on your walk . Porto to Santiago was my very first Camino and last year I walked Lisbon to Porto , main differences I found versus the French way were as follows -Lisbon to Porto - Pilgrims dramatically fewer, choices of places to stay far fewer also very few Hostels and practically no Municipal Albergues . distances between destinations usually longer with very limited interim accommodation however that being said I found it manageable and very much enjoyed the solitude . I am 66 and walked in October , it took me 13 days . I am sorry I didn't stay longer in places like Santarim and Tomar they are lovely ,being far less commercialized I found this Camino to have a big advantage over the French Way .
Because of accommodation options is also a little more expensive.
Porto to Santiago -
Again far far fewer Pilgrims than the French Way but more than Lisbon to Porto ,it is almost the flip side of the coin compared to Lisbon to Porto with greater choices of everything including Albergues . It took me 8 days and if doing it again would allow for longer.
Buen Camino
-
Thanks for your information. Is it possible that you could post your stages and even where you stayed. I am starting on June 2nd from Lisbon Thanks Gwen NZ

Like chalk and cheese. One in Spain other in Portugal. Camino same though walk eat sleep Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back