Distance between places to stay-Le Puy to St Jean

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
Time of past OR future Camino
I have just begun to research the Le Puy route to St Jean and am gaining a vague understanding of the main towns along the way. As I have plenty of time and will be stopping overnight very frequently I wonder what the distances are between places to stay. [My walk to Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia took 62 walking days] I will buy the MiamMiamDoDo guide in Le Puy, May 2016, meanwhile appreciate any information regarding this question.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thornley

Veteran Member
Aug 30, 2008
Melbourne/Australia
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
I have just begun to research the Le Puy route to St Jean and am gaining a vague understanding of the main towns along the way. As I have plenty of time and will be stopping overnight very frequently I wonder what the distances are between places to stay. [My walk to Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia took 62 walking days] I will buy the MiamMiamDoDo guide in Le Puy, May 2016, meanwhile appreciate any information regarding this question.

I think the longest you can expect is 20km.
The accommodation is wonderful ,very restful with great food.
You will have a beautiful walk and the villages are worth a stay.
Take the Cele' variant.
I would buy an old MMDD Avenelite this year and play with the distances.
Bon Chemin next year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
I think the longest you can expect is 20km.
The accommodation is wonderful ,very restful with great food.
You will have a beautiful walk and the villages are worth a stay.
Take the Cele' variant.
I would buy an old MMDD Avenelite this year and play with the distances.
Bon Chemin next year.
Thanks for your prompt reply. The advice to buy the guide now is welcome, and something I have considered prior to this. I love staying in smaller places and often stay 2 nights. Cheers

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
You can look at the basics here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense

When walking, the Miam Miam Dodo has more specifics and phone numbers. Everyone else makes reservations a day or two ahead, so you will want to as well!
Thanks for your reply and for the link too. I really want to be able to walk short distances some days, but hadn't come across any resource that reassured me that there is accommodation available in the smaller places. 'Godesalco' gives very good information but does not cover where to find accommodation that allows me to cover a short distance most days. Or perhaps I just didn't find it. By short, I mean 12kms or so. I will get a copy of Miam Miam Dodo sooner than planned as advised by 'Thornley' above.

D

Deleted member 3000

'Godesalco' gives very good information but does not cover where to find accommodation that allows me to cover a short distance most days. Or perhaps I just didn't find it. By short, I mean 12kms or so. I will get a copy of Miam Miam Dodo sooner than planned as advised by 'Thornley' above.
Godesalco is accurate about accommodations on the route. One advantage of MMD is that it shows off-route accommodations as well. When Godesalco shows a long day, there is a long day!!

Reactions: Tamas
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

TMcA

Aug 11, 2008
Vermont USA
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
While you're waiting for your MMDD to arrive, you may want to look at the listing of accomodations in the online brochure produced by the Tourist Office in Le Puy. It's not a complete list...only goes to Figeac...but it will get you started and has other useful information as well.

http://www.lacroiseedeschemins.com/GR65-GB_HR.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Thornley and Tamas

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle WA
kitsambler.wordpress.com
SJPP 2023
That site seems to have the locations that have a web site and email. MMD would add places that still just operate with telephone (the normal French way of making reservations).
Additional resources (turn on Google translate):
http://www.haltesverscompostelle.fr/ and http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/sommaire.html

But in general: towns are where towns are, and this is a rather thinly-populated stretch of France. So you need to be physically prepared for some 25 km stages on occasion. Unlike Germany, there is not readily available train/bus transit to make short hops here. Two possible alternatives are taxis and baggage-transport. Taxis are especially good upon leaving a larger town (smaller towns don't have them). The baggage transport vehicles will also take people, but you need to arrange the day ahead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

owms2323

Credential question
Apr 30, 2013
California
Camino de Frances (2014) Camino Frances (2016) Camino Finisterre/Muxia (2017)
Thanks for your prompt reply. The advice to buy the guide now is welcome, and something I have considered prior to this. I love staying in smaller places and often stay 2 nights. Cheers
Do you need to speak French on this route?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thornley

Veteran Member
Aug 30, 2008
Melbourne/Australia
Thanks for your reply and for the link too. I really want to be able to walk short distances some days, but hadn't come across any resource that reassured me that there is accommodation available in the smaller places. 'Godesalco' gives very good information but does not cover where to find accommodation that allows me to cover a short distance most days. Or perhaps I just didn't find it. By short, I mean 12kms or so. I will get a copy of Miam Miam Dodo sooner than planned as advised by 'Thornley' above.

Hi Avenelite,
Had a look @ MMDD and there is no problems with your 12km stretch.
Only 2 spots should make you plan;

After Conques you have two places Prayssac or Noalihac @ 10 km to divide the 20km into Decazeville.
You might have to walk 15km after Aire Sur l'Adour but it is very easy.

Wish i had the time to do the short stages , there are great places available.

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
Hi Avenelite,
Had a look @ MMDD and there is no problems with your 12km stretch.
Only 2 spots should make you plan;

After Conques you have two places Prayssac or Noalihac @ 10 km to divide the 20km into Decazeville.
You might have to walk 15km after Aire Sur l'Adour but it is very easy.

Wish i had the time to do the short stages , there are great places available.
Hi there Thornley. Thanks so much for doing that for me (and for others planning a very slow journey!), much appreciated. I have the luxury of time so will take as many days as it takes to reach St Jean, taking detours and the extra night here and there. I realize that it is more difficult for those with restricted time and finances and I met so many on the Camino Frances who were amazed as my answers to the usual questions of: "When/where did you start the camino?" and "Where did you start from today?" By the way my shortest walk was 7 km, the longest 26km, but I much prefer to keep around 15k maximum if I can.

As I never booked accommodation whilst on the Camino Frances (exception- return visit to Santiago from Muxia), I am slowly coming to terms with the need to book ahead from Le Puy onwards. When asking a host, or at the tourist office, to phone for me is it usual for them to use their phone (I prefer not to carry one) and, if so, do I pay for the call? (Naturally, am happy to do so.) So far I haven't read anything about the protocol regarding these calls other than to avoid evening meal time preparation.

And finally...I wonder what time, generally, the various forms of accommodation open for guests. I assume closing time in the mornings is 8am.

Last edited:

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
Snippets of the MMD can be seen here:

http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html

Unfortunately, it is not the full MMD!
Thanks so much for your reply and for the link. Thanks, too, to everyone on this Thread who has given such prompt advice and information regarding resources. Fortunately I have plenty of time to research the options regarding routes and accommodation. I found the information on this Forum so helpful whilst planning for the Camino Frances and attribute much of what I was able to glean from the past experiences of others to the fantastic time I had walking from St Jean to Muxia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thornley

Veteran Member
Aug 30, 2008
Melbourne/Australia
Hi there Thornley. Thanks so much for doing that for me (and for others planning a very slow journey!), much appreciated. I have the luxury of time so will take as many days as it takes to reach St Jean, taking detours and the extra night here and there. I realize that it is more difficult for those with restricted time and finances and I met so many on the Camino Frances who were amazed as my answers to the usual questions of: "When/where did you start the camino?" and "Where did you start from today?" By the way my shortest walk was 7 km, the longest 26km, but I much prefer to keep around 15k maximum if I can.

As I never booked accommodation whilst on the Camino Frances (exception- return visit to Santiago from Muxia), I am slowly coming to terms with the need to book ahead from Le Puy onwards. When asking a host, or at the tourist office, to phone for me is it usual for them to use their phone (I prefer not to carry one) and, if so, do I pay for the call? (Naturally, am happy to do so.) So far I haven't read anything about the protocol regarding these calls other than to avoid evening meal time preparation.

And finally...I wonder what time, generally, the various forms of accommodation open for guests. I assume closing time in the mornings is 8am.

2pm to 4.30pm arrival in the b&b and gites however you are told they will be out shopping etc until ???
MMDD also indicates when the places open.
ON arrival in a town we just had a good lunch with good wine around 1.30 and normally all was open after..
The phone calls will not cost you a cent

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle WA
kitsambler.wordpress.com
SJPP 2023
Do you need to speak French on this route?
You need to be able to demonstrate that you are a serious, polite person who is making a genuine effort. So if you get a firm grasp on the basic phrases and use them with humility, people will be glad to help you out. The basics would include: Hello, Goodbye, please, thank you, I"m sorry, Please excuse me, I would like to order ... , and Check please. You have time, so working with an online site or smartphone app such as Babbel or Michel Thomas (my favorite) will really pay off. The Rick Steves phrase book is invaluable. Younger people and Canadians are great resources, as well as the Tourist Offices. MMDD indicates which gites have English-speaking hosts.

But you have to make the effort. The first year I walked in France, I knew no French at all. By the following year, I had a firm grasp of basic phrases and my experience was much, much less frustrating.

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
You need to be able to demonstrate that you are a serious, polite person who is making a genuine effort. So if you get a firm grasp on the basic phrases and use them with humility, people will be glad to help you out. The basics would include: Hello, Goodbye, please, thank you, I"m sorry, Please excuse me, I would like to order ... , and Check please. You have time, so working with an online site or smartphone app such as Babbel or Michel Thomas (my favorite) will really pay off. The Rick Steves phrase book is invaluable. Younger people and Canadians are great resources, as well as the Tourist Offices. MMDD indicates which gites have English-speaking hosts.

But you have to make the effort. The first year I walked in France, I knew no French at all. By the following year, I had a firm grasp of basic phrases and my experience was much, much less frustrating.
Thanks for the excellent advice. Realising how helpful even a little Spanish was last year and how much my ability to communicate improved as the camino progressed, I started to learn French via paid lessons, audio and internet a few months back. I truly accept that a little effort now is so worthwhile and that local people will appreciate the end results, even though they be basic! Interestingly I was wondering what would constitute the main phrases to learn, so you have helped out there as well. I'll extrapolate from the Spanish experience and, if at a loss, especially with my broad Aussie accent, could perhaps resort to asking for a written reply! It sounds as if a copy of MMDD is invaluable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachael
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
2pm to 4.30pm arrival in the b&b and gites however you are told they will be out shopping etc until ???
MMDD also indicates when the places open.
ON arrival in a town we just had a good lunch with good wine around 1.30 and normally all was open after..
The phone calls will not cost you a cent
Ah! Love the idea of the good lunch/wine: makes waiting a pleasure and the perfect excuse to practise some of my fledging French. Thanks for the info re opening times. I should have realised that MMDD would cover that.

edandjoan

May 11, 2012
North Carolina, USA
edandjoan.wordpress.com
St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
Many Others
This has been a very good thread for us. We are very close to purchasing our plane tickets, leaving Aug 24 and starting by Aug. 27 or 28.. Think we will fly to Paris then on to Lyon by train and hopefully meet up with a friend we made on the Primitivo last year then on to Le Puy and have 32-34 day to walk to Roncevalles. Then get to Barcelona to see another friend from the Primitivo. We are working on our French language and looking at the path and would like to take the Cele path. We have the Miam Miam Dodo book and Cicerone book. Keep the info coming!

Avenelite

Nov 12, 2013
This has been a very good thread for us. We are very close to purchasing our plane tickets, leaving Aug 24 and starting by Aug. 27 or 28.. Think we will fly to Paris then on to Lyon by train and hopefully meet up with a friend we made on the Primitivo last year then on to Le Puy and have 32-34 day to walk to Roncevalles. Then get to Barcelona to see another friend from the Primitivo. We are working on our French language and looking at the path and would like to take the Cele path. We have the Miam Miam Dodo book and Cicerone book. Keep the info coming!
Hi edandjoan. Yes, we are very fortunate to reap the benefit of the experiences of others and the fact that they share so willingly. Very best wishes for a wonderful journey from leaving home to returning to your doorstep! You are obviously moving at a different pace to the one I plan, however via this forum I would appreciate hearing about your days on the Le Puy route. Take care, enjoy every day.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides