Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diversion

Ribeirasacra

Time of past OR future Camino
the highway
The stretch between A Vide & As Lagoas is not passable at the moment because of overgrown vegetation and (I think) water run off, flooding the path. What is required is new signs but there is no money. It is reported that the alternative route way markers are just painted, nothing is official. Please take note of this if you are attempting to undertake this route during the coming months.
The Asociación Camiños a Santiago does not have any money to add official way markers for the diversion route.
News in Spanish.
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/le ... 0C4993.htm

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Ribeirasacra,

This is the same point where sulu recently reported getting lost and messed up. But I just can't figure out where it is exactly. I can't find A Vide or As Lagoas on google maps, and I have no mention of them in my own journal.

I remember having a rough time in the mud and whacking through weeds, but the points of reference I noted were that it was between the fountain at Pineiro until I entered a little hamlet (three or four houses really) called Caminho Grande.

Do you think we're all talking about the same part of the Invierno? I know for sure it was on the Monforte to Chantada stage, and well before Diamondi, so it seems like it might be the same place.

Place names in Galicia are so confusing, but since you're a local I thought maybe you could help.

Thanks, Laurie

You know about an hour after I posted this I thought I wonder if I have embarrassed myself because I do not have a clue where these pueblos/aldeas are.
So after your posting I have done some more research.
Here is the WIKI page on the Parroquia de Moreda.
http://gl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreda,_Monforte_de_Lemos
Also this gives a location map and a photo looking back to the Parador.
http://www.alltravels.com/spain/Galicia ... o-24036196
On the “official” Camino de Invierno website there is this:
http://www.caminodeinvierno.com/content ... tada-297km
This website still does not have full functionality. :roll:

The strange thing is that the Diputación de Lugo has just given around 30.000€ for a new walking route running down the Rio Miño valley.
http://www.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=1250478
Part of this walking route follows this Camino down the Codos de Belesar onto Belesar and then heads southwards along the valley. I wonder why this important Camino( de Invierno) could not have received some that money.

PS It was back in the summer and we had contact with a pilgrim called John, he got lost on this section. He is Irish I believe; there were six in his group. He was writing a blog. Does anyone know him and could give me a link to his blog please?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks,

Looks like we were not talking about the same place. Funny, I didn't get lost in A Vide and my notes say that I just stayed on the LU-P-4112 to the Pazo de Reguengos, where there is a turn off. BTW, it takes you through a small hamlet called Castronate, where I believe there is an English speaking pilgrim residing, though I'm not sure. Well, I guess I'll just have to go back and walk it again!

I don't know anything about an Irish pilgrim with an Invierno blog. I'm sure he hasn't posted it here, but I would love to read it if anyone knows about it!

Buen camino, Laurie

BTW, though I'm sure the walking route down the Mino valley is beautiful, I agree that the money would be equally or better spent by fixing up a few of these real black holes on the Invierno.

Just been out that way this PM to have a look-see.
I could not find any signs of where the route leaves the road except in one almost abandoned village.
Found a good number of way markers and yellow arrows, the later being difficult to read most of the time. There should be a few more way markers, but in general if you follow the road you will not get lost.
As I took a lot of photos I now need to sit down and organise them; publishing them on line and locate them on a map.
With that lot to do all I can say is "I may be some time"

This IS a tricky bit of camino. Arrows take you all around A Vid and right back onto the road again. The first time I went, the waymark (a concrete mojon) pointed us down a very boggy path to the right. A farmer told us that path floods during wet weather, that the paved road was the best bet. Right he was. Both ways joined together again at the next village.

When I walked that bit again a few months later it was dry and very walkable, a pleasant hike along green fields, a creek, and some irrigation channels. Pretty as it is, I can see how easily it could flood and/or over-grow. So, if it´s been raining, stay with the tarmac. If it´s been dry, follow the mojon... if it is still there!

Reb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Rebekah
I only saw one sign leading away from the road which had been crossed out. So I think the part of the route you hare writing about is no longer signposted.
The following is from this thread/post: camino-de-invierno/topic1601.html#p50859
I downloaded the attachment you published and I used to my trip yesterday.
From Monforte the route is described
Monforte a Chantada (29 km)........
After walking through A Vide, the Camino goes off road. It becomes an earthen trail and it takes you to the trail leading to the water channel. Turn right, paralleling the channel. About 400 meters on, go under a bridge (described as the bridge of the “corredor rápido” (RR track for fast trains?)) and take a left turn. Go under the channel. There is usually water at this point, but it runs under one of the small arches of the water viaduct. Continue on a wide earthen path. It continues practically in a straight line until arriving at Moreda (and passing through As Lagoas, Campos and Pacios on the way). This stretch is about 3.5 kms.”

Here is a link to street view where the road LU 3204 goes over the steam. To the right you can see a yellow arrow on the electricity pole.
http://goo.gl/maps/I21cu

If you go back towards Monforte on this link http://goo.gl/maps/Bbss9 there is a “Acequia no 9.1" for an irrigation canal. Is this where the above instruction say turn right, paralleling the channel?

One last thing; I wonder if this is the right document to use. If not can you please point me to the latest information. If it is the right document then it does need updating.

Ian

Hi, Ian

Oh it's so nice to have a person "on the ground" who is willing to help out with this. I remember all the help you gave me and others who were looking for the SO MUCH NICER entrance into Ourense alongside the river. I relied on your pictures and descriptions and found it no problem!

I don't want to confuse your conversation with Rebekah, but you are quoting from her online CSJ guide, and that's the latest version, dated 2011. I have detailed notes annotating her guide, since I walked after that, and I've sent them to people who ask. My notes don't show anything about the A Vide problem. I apparently stayed on LU-P-3204 all the way to its end point, after km7, which would have taken me through A Vide. At that point, I changted on to LU-P-4112 (and noted that the waymark said km 0). I stayed on that road till the lovely Pazo de Reguengo, the big estate you could see off to the left. At that point I followed the arrow to the left and went around the back of the pazo and then went into the mud. I went through one little hamlet where there is a redone house with a camino sign (I was told an English speaking person lived there but I didn't see anyone). I was fine on the path till Pineira (nice fountain and stopping place), at which point my odyssey in the muddy green tunnels began till I miraculously emerged at Camino Grande and its mojon.

But no one else seems to have had problems on this Pineira to Camino Grande stretch, and I don't know whether it's because they bypassed it on a road or what happened. After Camino Grande, it's all on asphalt till the church at Diamondi, then down on the path to the riverside.

So, I guess I'm sort of piggy-backing on another discussion, but it looks like between Monforte and Chantada there are a couple of problem points. And sulu seemed to have had the problem at A Vide as well. (I can find her blog if that helps).

Many thanks, Ian and Reb, Laurie

and p.s., Reb, if you think it would be useful, I'm happy to add my notes to your Invierno guide, or you can add them, or whatever.

It looks like the crossed-out shell was wisely done. Much as I dislike asphalt, perhaps just staying with the road is best.

The 2011 guide could use another look indeed. I am overwhelmed with work just now, though. Perhaps, Laurie, you could send your notes to Marion at the CSJ, so the proper person can be found to add them onto the existing text?

Together we can do this thing.

Reb.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just to add my contribution.
I was fine on the path till Pineira (nice fountain and stopping place), at which point my odyssey in the muddy green tunnels began till I miraculously emerged at Camino Grande and its mojon.

But no one else seems to have had problems on this Pineira to Camino Grande stretch, and I don't know whether it's because they bypassed it on a road or what happened. After Camino Grande, it's all on asphalt till the church at Diamondi, then down on the path to the riverside.
I suspect that many differences occur because of the time of year walked. It was very dry when I walked and had been all summer.

After walking through A Vide, the Camino goes off road. It becomes an earthen trail and it takes you to the trail leading to the water channel. Turn right, paralleling the channel. About 400 meters on, go under a bridge (described as the bridge of the “corredor rápido” (RR track for fast trains?)) and take a left turn. Go under the channel. There is usually water at this point, but it runs under one of the small arches of the water viaduct. Continue on a wide earthen path. It continues practically in a straight line until arriving at Moreda (and passing through As Lagoas, Campos and Pacios on the way). This stretch is about 3.5 kms.”
This is a straight quote from Aida Menedez I think. In fact it is a left turn at the water channel, the 'corredor rapido' is a road, a cross between a nacional and a motorway. The wide earth path is now overgrown with baby oak trees and requires a left turn shortly after the viaduct, the mojon there has been vandalised and doesn't/didn't have a tile, it is straight after that. I went straight up a wide earth path and added 2 or 3 kms to my walk. This was in September this year.
Incidently I didn't find village names very helpful, either because there were no markers at villages or because the names of 'concellos' differ from names of villages, although they were helpful on the tarmac road from Camino Grande to Diamondi, if only because it showed some form of progress :)
Sue

OK then, everyone. Just a note to tell you what to do to update a CSJ guide: Write up your notes and send them to Marion, the hard-working CSJ secretary. Be as clear as you can, referring to exactly which part of the existing guide and directions your text applies to. She can be found at office (at) csj.org.uk .

These additions/corrections are usually collected in their own "addendum" that is stuck onto the end, rather than set into the existing document. CSJ is a volunteer organization, with a few people doing loads of work -- dont expect to see your updates popping up online anytime very soon.

As you clearly see, a guide is a living document. Your updates are vitally important to the next guy coming down the trail.

Thanks,
Rebekah

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, Reb.

Ok, sulu and others, here's what I propose. I will polish up my comments with page references to Reb's CSJ guide, and post here for comments and additions. Or, if anyone who has walked the Invierno wants to just send comments directly to me, I can incorporate them as well.

Sulu, I know you were only on the Camino invierno proper for a few days but anything that you could add would be helpful I'm sure.

But I do have a question for Sulu about the stretch between Pineira and Camino Grande -- did you find the path well marked? The mud was the least of it, there was absolutely no indication of which way to go at any of the many criss crossings of earthen paths.

Thanks, everyone. Laurie

But I do have a question for Sulu about the stretch between Pineira and Camino Grande -- did you find the path well marked? The mud was the least of it, there was absolutely no indication of which way to go at any of the many criss crossings of earthen paths.

I suspect it was no better marked. I followed your advice about sticking to the main path. As I walked in September I suspect the main path was clearer. Paths in Galicia do change very much from one season to another, depending on usage, this probably affects people putting up markers as well. My problem was that some signs seemed to merge into autumnal colours. I didn't get lost on that stretch and I get lost easily.
I reckon that the main problem with signs, no matter where, is that they are put up by people who know where they are, not much one can do about that. :) Fatal to try really.

I have not forgotten my promise, just had some other things to do. Plus I wanted to check the part bit where the route goes off road. I just cannot find it, so I do not think at present the path could be taken by accident. I am still confused by the route description. There is no rail lines in the vicinity. Also walking right over to the CG road (used to be numbered CRG) seems rather pointless exercise, unless it is to get the pilgrims away from walking on LU road.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hello everyone! maybe I can help a bit with this problem. I walked camino invierno in september this year, and mostly had no problems finding my way, using both the waymarks and my description. the two parts in question:

1. from A Vide to Moreda.
the route follows LU3204 to A Vide, or better, A Corsa, as its board says. at the start of the village, after the bridge, veer L into the village. the street bends right and ends in a fork at the connecting village of O Rego. go right on an overgrown cement track to the next fork. fork right down to LU3204 where you turn L along it for a few meters then cross it for a path to the left of a pink house and an electricity pole. this path was overgrown with thorny bushes that kept latching onto my clothes and ended on a gravel/dirt road. turn right on the road, pass under a highway bridge then turn left to a dirt track that immediately goes under a canal. when it bends right, go straight ahead to a grassy/dirt track that soon becomes overgrown with oak branches and other stuff. keep in a straight line, some stretches can get very muddy and flooded in the rain, to As Lagoas then Os Campos.
you can avoid the first thorny path by staying on LU3204 a little longer, till a low white house with an arcaded porch. before it turn right to the gravel/dirt road that passes under the highway bridge.
and to completely avoid the muddy/floody section, stay on LU3204 all the way across CRG2.1, on the way - in a hairpin bend with a pink parking lot, a stage and Moreda church down on the right - joining the main route.

2. from Pazo de Reguengo to Camino Grande
about 100m after the pazo wall ends, at electricity lines, turn sharply left to a path/stone-paved track (former medieval road?) and when it bends right up, keep straigh on on a path that leads to Castrotane where the english lady, Penelope, runs a casa rural and has been arranging a refuge for pilgrims for some time (it wasn't yet ready when I contacted her, but some italian and franch pilgrims stayed at hers in autumn 2010). before the house on the right turn right up to another stone-paved track. go right in two forks and in a T intersection on top, and you will end at the fountain in Pineiro. pass it, cross LU4112, ascend a dirt track and reach a fork after a big walled meadow on the right. here comes the part where I saw no waymarks where they were needed. after the big meadow fork left, the track becomes overgrown then widens and ascends. cross a dirt track to continue a bit left, along a fenced meadow. fork right, go straight on a tarmac road (left is a village of Viris), straight again in a crossroad, then veer left up a wide dirt/gravel road (there are dogs on the right). bend right with it and descend to a T intersection. turn R to a dirt track, then fork right to a more grassy track that gently ascends then more steeply descends, crosses a stream and ascends to a T intersection. turn left up into Camino Grande.

hope that is detailed enough that you can follow it with no problems.

The stretch between A Vide & As Lagoas is not passable at the moment because of overgrown vegetation and (I think) water run off, flooding the path. What is required is new signs but there is no money. It is reported that the alternative route way markers are just painted, nothing is official. Please take note of this if you are attempting to undertake this route during the coming months.

I went to look this morning, it is well signed to stay on the road. The whole way has been signed for the road. I took lots of photos but don't know how to download them here. If you want a clearer view of how it looks now go to my blog http://notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com
It is under the heading of 'Camino de Invierno diversion'.
Galicia is pretty wet at the moment!

Hi, sulu,

Many thanks for going to all that trouble to take so many pictures. It's now very clear.

And here's what's probably one more stupid question -- is A Vide the same as Corga? I have notes on Corga but none on A Vide, and your picture shows a sign that says Corga. Is this another one of those distinctions between municipality/parish/hamlet, like the nesting eggs of place names?

Sure looks muddy out there. Another reason why I was very glad to walk in late June when things were lucious and a lot dryer!

Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And here's what's probably one more stupid question -- is A Vide the same as Corga? I have notes on Corga but none on A Vide, and your picture shows a sign that says Corga. Is this another one of those distinctions between municipality/parish/hamlet, like the nesting eggs of place names?
Hi Laurie
That's about it. A Vide is the name on the road but once you get off the road there are 3 different names, like 'barrios' of a town, except that these are small villages, split up into smaller places. I imagine it is very historical.
It was a beautiful day for going for a drive, a bit wet underfoot! Autumn has its own beauty.
Sue

Hello to my friends, Reb and Laurie, I did the invernio the last 2 weeks in july using the combo of there notes. Not once did I get "lost" nor in any type of wet situation. The locals would walk with me to the end of the villages sometimes further. I camped in there fields. They fed me. What could a hiker ask for. I carried a 15kg orange pack, referred to as the pig and dawned a white straw hat (stole by me at there hostel) near st Nichols and some of the best paella I have ever had :wink: I am currently in St johns USVI for 5 months voleenteering at VIERS. My best to you all buen camino! 8) :arrow:

Hooray for Jerbear, glad to know you made it out alive and un-lost, and had such a good time on the way! This really is The Camino That Was. Thanks for the encouragement.

Reb.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, jerbear,
I hope your experience will encourage others to give this camino a try. It really is lovely. It also sounds like the Camino is becoming more well-known in the villages, which makes things a whole lot easier when the arrows fade or get taken. Having a villager point you in the right direction is a whole lot easier than trying to figure it out yourself! Glad it was such a good experience. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
Peñalba de Santiago with its 10C untouched Mozarabic church and its traditional stone houses with slate roofs and dark wooden balconies is a real gem (and don’t forget the hermit cave of San...
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back