• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

León to San Martin del Camino alternative route

diggidan

Time of past OR future Camino
April 24: Camino Frances
Hello,

Tomorrow I will walk from León to San Martin del Camino. My travel guide shows two alternatives. One kinda ugly one mostly besides the N-120 road where the camino hits San Martin del Camino directly and one described as really beautiful but passing San Martin del Camino south. We already booked accommodation for San Martin, so we need to go there. On the map (see photo) I can see a road that leads from Bustillo del Paramo to San Martin del Camino. I thought about walking the nice path to that street and then head up north on that street. Anyone ever did this? That street does not look really walkable on google maps. Better stay on the ugly road then?

Attachments

• IMG_6486.jpeg
    IMG_6486.jpeg
    953.5 KB · Views: 46
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm sorry, I didn't walk the road to San Martín that you're planning to walk. But I think I'd prefer it: the alternative through Villar de Mazarife is so much nicer than the one along the N-120. If the small church in Villar de Mararife is open, don't forget to take a look inside!

When you walk on the leftside of the road (towards any uncoming traffic) it looks like it's safe enough. And it's only 3 km. from La Milla del Páramo to San Martín del Camino.

Walked to San Martin not a nice place to stop on way can you make it a bit further to Hospital de Orbigo about 5 kms further along the way.
My opinion not shared by others so please forum don't say how wonderful San Martin it was to me the worst stop on way.
You can cancel bookings take alternative via Villar de Mazarife onto Orbigo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for your replies. The stay is fixed, i don’t mind a bad town for a night but if I can walk the better alternative I would love to do it. Probably I will decide tomorrow

If you take the Norther route you are walking next to a busy major road most of the day after you past the edges of Leon. If you can deal with the extra 6K or so the Southern route is indeed a nicer walk. That said I have not walked the section back to San Martín del Camino but those country roads are never unwalkable.

Technically there is only one 'alternativo' - the other one (the ugly one) is the 'original' camino
And I'll tell you i DID walk that in 2022 and it was by far the most ugliest depressing part of the whole walk!
You are just too darn close to that highway\road whatever it is and you will eat the trucks' fumes for the whole duration. there is no shade, everything is in the open and you will be one tired (nay exhausted) icky sweaty Peregrino once you come into SMdC!!!
Do yourself a big favor and 'hook a left' at that sign which is right when you leave La Virgen del Camino

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 32
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technically there is only one 'alternativo' - the other one (the ugly one) is the 'original' camino
And I'll tell you i DID walk that in 2022 and it was by far the most ugliest depressing part of the whole walk!
You are just too darn close to that highway\road whatever it is and you will eat the trucks' fumes for the whole duration. there is no shade, everything is in the open and you will be one tired (nay exhausted) icky sweaty Peregrino once you come into SMdC!!!
Do yourself a big favor and 'hook a left' at that sign which is right when you leave La Virgen del Camino

It even has a location on google maps ;-) https://maps.app.goo.gl/bcMde29jTwLryLdV7

Yes, thoroughly recommend the alternative route. I walked it to Hospital de Orbigo last Oct, so I didn’t take the connecting road to the right that you're considering. But it’s got to be better than walking beside that highway all day.

Hello,

Tomorrow I will walk from León to San Martin del Camino. My travel guide shows two alternatives. One kinda ugly one mostly besides the N-120 road where the camino hits San Martin del Camino directly and one described as really beautiful but passing San Martin del Camino south. We already booked accommodation for San Martin, so we need to go there. On the map (see photo) I can see a road that leads from Bustillo del Paramo to San Martin del Camino. I thought about walking the nice path to that street and then head up north on that street. Anyone ever did this? That street does not look really walkable on google maps. Better stay on the ugly road then?
I would definitely recommend seeing if you can change your reservation and walk via Villar de Mazarife - lovely countryside.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did the Mazarife path because before i walked people had said how bad the original way was!
I really enjoyed the walk had two great stays to Astorga really stood out as memorable.

Domus Oncinae Fabia​

Address:C/Real, 7, 24391 Oncina de la Valdoncina, Spain
Phone: +34 606 80 39 57
Great host, modern rooms on site restaurant an oasis on the Camino.

Molinas Galochas (Galochas Mill)
Phone:
+34 987 388 546
+34 629 963 870
Web:
www.molinogalochas.com

Did south route last time, I liked it 😀
Doing north route tomorrow as well because my friend wants to cut distance on his sore knee.
Maybe we can compare notes tomorrow night.

I did the Mazarife path because before i walked people had said how bad the original way was!
I really enjoyed the walk had two great stays to Astorga really stood out as memorable.

Domus Oncinae Fabia​

Address:C/Real, 7, 24391 Oncina de la Valdoncina, Spain
Phone: +34 606 80 39 57
Great host, modern rooms on site restaurant an oasis on the Camino.

Molinas Galochas (Galochas Mill)
Phone:
+34 987 388 546
+34 629 963 870
Web:
www.molinogalochas.com
I stayed at both these locations and highly recommend them as well. Molino Galochas might have been my favorite stop on the Camino. I pulled a calf muscle on the way there and had to arrive by taxi and they really took care of me. They gave me ice for my leg and made me a lunch because I couldn’t go anywhere, then drove me to Astorga the next day (where I stayed 4 nights until I could walk again). Without them, that might have been the end of my Camino. They have a very good communal dinner as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another +1 for Molino Galochas, in Villavante (actually just past Villavante). Mercedes and Maximo were truly amazing hosts, and their hospitality some of the best on the CF. They truly made you feel at home, and their communal home cooked meal was like eating with family.

I will take the alternative route and then head up north to San Martin, taking the extra miles but at least have a enjoying walk.
The alternative route will take you to the intersection of the LE-6502 and LE-6524, where you turn right (North) onto LE-6502 (see first attachment). It is a nicely paved 2 lane road (see 2nd attachment), 3 km, straight to San Martin. Be mindful of the very little traffic on both of these roads as there isn't a shoulder on either section.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-29 134706.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 134706.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2024-04-29 134739.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 134739.png
    960.4 KB · Views: 14
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This post refers to an alternative AFTER SMdC. I am almost sure that the OP was asking for alternatives before SMdC.

BTW, I have walked both paths after SMdC and had no issue with either.

Also, I had no particular issue staying in SMdC although I bypassed it the second time, purely for variety.

Also, also, from memory there is a very nice bakery in SMdC where I refueled on my second time through.

😉 They don't call me doughnut for nothing 😊❤️😊

Live from the camino: I walked the camino alternativo to La Milla del Paramo. The road up to San Martin del Camino has very low traffic. Weather was awful, heavy winds with rain. Got another 3,5km to SMdC and I would not recommend to it like that 😂 if I would have known better I would sleep somewhere else on the alternativo road. Hitting 31km today 😩

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Everybody who has walked the Camino Francés knows the albergue in Manjarin. An albergue for six pilgrims, without water and electricity, but full of hospitality. Tomás Martinez de Paz started...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back