• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

do I need a phone?

glennb

I'm considering whether to bring my iphone on the Frances route this April. I'd like not to.
To the extent I need to communicate with home, I can do it from villages along the way at internet cafes.

I suppose my biggest concern is that I may need it to call ahead for reservations each day. Thoughts?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The short answer would be, no. However, if it makes you feel more secure and are ready to assume the weight of the phone and charger, then bring it. Internet is readily available everywhere (from 0.50 to 1 Euro for 20 minutes). I wrote almost every day back home; my Facebook posts became my journal with the added bonus of having my friends and family cheer me on.

I used the web to make 2 reservations so I didn't really need a phone.

glennb said:
I'm considering whether to bring my iphone on the Frances route this April. I'd like not to.
To the extent I need to communicate with home, I can do it from villages along the way at internet cafes.

I suppose my biggest concern is that I may need it to call ahead for reservations each day. Thoughts?

I think the phone is very useful to ensure that albergues are open in April or to book a room in a hotel or guest house etc..
It is true that the weight of the phone and the charger is important ; it's a total weight around 120 gr.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic12380.html#p81985

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I liked my phone for keeping up with people i met on the way, also used it as my only camera, but never to call home...

My thoughts for walking as light as possible is to carry things that do double duty. Long pants with zipper off legs to convert to shorts are a good example.
My Android and other Smart Phones can be thought of the same way. It is my phone, camera, journal, guide book with maps, take along Bible and other reads, internet browser, variable brightness and color flashlight for night time bathroom trips, and many other things.
Charging can be a concern. So I am bringing a 2 panel solar cell charger capable of charging and running devices at the same time. Is 11.5 x 6.5 inches and weighs just 8 ounces.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Android phone using Tapatalk.

Hi freetime,

Do you have a model of the charger?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Evanlow, I found it on Amazon by looking for "solar phone charger".
The one I will mentioned is the Suntactics sCharger-5. It is running at around $140.

Tony

Sent using Tapatalk.

Interesting choice. No internal batteries, bigger panels.

Freetime, have you field tested it on the camino? Where would you mount this device? Behind your backpack? Or will it primarily be used in the albergue in the afternoon?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
evanlow said:
Hi freetime,

Do you have a model of the charger?

The best is a light charger for USB.

41hwiDhYFXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am currently planning to make my first Camino in 2014.
I had plans of unfolding it in the pack netting each morning. Except under a totally tree lined canopy or storm clouds all day, it would get enough sun for the time I will be walking. If I needed more than that I would have to resort to alternate methods as we all would anyway.

I have heard of flexible solar film that is less expensive and can be rolled up but I havent done any research in that department yet.

Tony

Sent using Tapatalk.

Hi Freetime,

The mounting have to secure and durable as one may have to remove and put on the backpack a couple of times a day. I am also still not convinced how much can the sun charge in a couple of hours with those panels.

I'd probably go with just charging at the albergue like everyone else, maybe with an extra battery case for my iPhone to extend the battery life. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
no
how would you know when to call ahead?

Finisterre said:
no
how would you know when to call ahead?

agree,
guess what: phoned bank to tell about credit/debit card etc, they said they'll phone my mobile to check, I said it's too heavy! get lost! :evil:

Less is More :D

I've never taken a phone on the Camino and have never missed having one.
In fact, I've much enjoyed being "disconnected" for a time.
Plenty of places to make inexpensive phone calls or emails.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes. My son is currently in O Cebreiro having started from St Jean on the 2nd March. He was totally unprepared for the walk on the road to Roncevalles. He became extremely tired and disorientated but because he had brought his phone he was able to ring me at home in Ireland. I then rang the Refugio in Roncevalles and the lady there kindly jumped in her car and drove down the road to pick him up some 6k away. He freely admits he was unprepared and would never have made it the rest of the way. He has taken things a bit easier and learned how to pace himself and is now just 7 days away from Santiago. However, I dread to think what the consequences of having no means of communication would have been. So even if you dont use it, bring it.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.