• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I really need long pants?

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting in Viana on July 1, I really don't think I need to pack long pants unless for some cultural reason. Any advice on this?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I won't walk in shorts because when I burn, and I will eventually do so regardless of applying sunscreen, I am miserable. Also, lots of insects out with the heat, and overgrowth of plants along the narrower tracks, and I like a bit of protection against both of those.

Plenty of people wearing shorts on the CF right now. Some have let themselves get badly sunburnt, others haven't. Those without gaiters looked miserable in the rain and wind, but I presume they have survived.

I'm old fashioned and wouldn't go to mass in shorts, but there doesn't seem to be any objections to pilgrims who do.

Seems to me it's very much a personal decision for you to make.

Starting in Viana on July 1, I really don't think I need to pack long pants unless for some cultural reason. Any advice on this?
I did the Camino Frances in 2013 and 2014, both times in June/July. On more than one morning, I used long pants. It had to be in the 50's. I bought a pair of very light travel pants from Sierra Trading Post in the US for less than 20 bucks. Worth every cent. I also felt better going to Mass wearing pants, but your call. Buen Camino - Steve

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I won't walk in shorts because when I burn, and I will eventually do so regardless of applying sunscreen, I am miserable. Also, lots of insects out with the heat, and overgrowth of plants along the narrower tracks, and I like a bit of protection against both of those.

Same here. Long pants, long sleeve shirts.... I don't like sunburn.

Remember you're going to be out in the sun all day....

Your choice of clothing is of course determined by a number of factors.

1. Being comfortable
  2. Looking good (if that is important to you)
  3. Being safe

I, like many here probably ignore #2 ;)

Protection from the elements is a key requirement of your clothing. Be that wind, rain or sun.

I found that long pants did the job well. They were ultra lightweight and so were not hot. But they kept off the chill winds in the mornings and more importantly kept off the sun during the day. I saw lots of people with sunburn.

Are shorts more comfortable? No idea, I rarely wear them except on the beach. I've got great legs for Radio as they say.... And I live in a hot climate. Mostly 20-40 degrees C through the year.

Do you see Desert dwellers wearing shorts? Might be a reason for that.

My walking gear, that suits hot or cold weather tends to be. (more layers for cold of course. fleece and rain jacket on top and rain pants below)

Wide brimmed hat with neck flap.
Long sleeved shirt. Very lightweight tech fabric.
Long pants. Lightweight tech fabric,
And very light gloves. Yes gloves!

The gloves serve two purposes. 1) they keep the sun off my hands. Got really burnt last year without even noticing. Because I use poles, my hands are out in the sun. and 2) I just found it more comfortable using my poles.

I have a video here that shows what I wore and why....... http://robscamino.com/7th-of-may-the-way-to-navarrete/

Scroll down to the Video called 'Avoiding Sunburn'

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's why they invented convertible pants. It is there in case you need it.

All of your reasons are reasons why I don't walk in shorts. It's either my quick-dry nylon hiking pants or my merino wool leggings and hiking skirt, in any Camino season. One more reason is the dust on the trail, especially during the section between Cruz de Ferro and Acebo! It seems to be a little caustic and almost has the effect of burning my skin. It's always amazing to me, even with my legs covered, how dirty and dusty my legs are after that day of walking! :D

This photo is in Acebo on my 2011 Camino. I was so shocked when I saw how dirty my legs were, I couldn't resist the "WASH ME"!

Camino 2011 - IMG_0486 (1320 x 990).jpg

Rachel

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bugs, sunburn, prickly bushes, rainwater sliding down easier into your footwwear, sticky mud... are all good reasons to protect the sking on your lower legs. In June-July 2014 there was a surge on Tiger Mosquitoes along the Camino. If you are not going to wear clothing to protect your lower legs, make sure you use bug spray.

I
I always walk in shorts. I take either a longish skirt or lightweight 3/4 pants for evenings. I don't mind wet or cold legs when I walk, but it might be different for you...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hiya @Paintboy2! Just an fyi: in the UK, 'pants' are = to underwear, so long pants would be therefore long johns?! LOL

(I went to school in Scotland on a student exchange a long long time ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and music was played on strange round circles called LPs. One of my fellow Canadians, Hugh--also on exchange--took some trousers to a tailor to be mended. He kept talking about his 'pants' and she, apparently, got more and more flustered. It was only later on he found out that what he was asking her was when his trousers would be ready when what she heard was when his gitch would be ready! Oops...sorry....Canadianism. Gitch = underwear! Hahahaha!)

Last edited:
From my packing list: Hiking shorts or pants: Zip-off legs, quick dry, non-cotton (or semi-cotton, 25 percent or less), with assorted pockets for cell phone, camera, a small amount of currency, lip balm, and other items.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Personally I never wear shorts abroad. It saves on sun block and cuts down on the number of insect bites. Also uneasy of going into church dressed like this in foreign country as I don't want to offend.

All of your reasons are reasons why I don't walk in shorts. It's either my quick-dry nylon hiking pants or my merino wool leggings and hiking skirt, in any Camino season. One more reason is the dust on the trail, especially during the section between Cruz de Ferro and Acebo! It seems to be a little caustic and almost has the effect of burning my skin. It's always amazing to me, even with my legs covered, how dirty and dusty my legs are after that day of walking! :D

This photo is in Acebo on my 2011 Camino. I was so shocked when I saw how dirty my legs were, I couldn't resist the "WASH ME"!

View attachment 27047

Rachel
Better to have dirty legs than pants I reckon! They wash easier.

Better to have dirty legs than pants I reckon! They wash easier.

You do have a point, though I don't like to think about how my legs could have reacted if they hadn't been covered that day! (My skin is quite sensitive.) Besides, I think I find it easier to wash the pants sometimes. :D And for me, dirt is at the bottom of the list after risk of sunburn and insect bites and getting scratches from bushes and things, as reasons for not wearing shorts. It's been refreshing for me to see other people in this thread who say they don't wear shorts, since I've seen so many people in them during my two summer Caminos! I didn't think I was the only one without them, but almost... ;) (I even took a pair of shorts with me in 2012 but I never wore them!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Show us a picture of your legs and we can judge...:)

Mine are useful neon markers on a dark night...(Scottish skin for you) - but I will walk in shorts in October on the CF

Same here. Long pants, long sleeve shirts.... I don't like sunburn.

Remember you're going to be out in the sun all day....

Your choice of clothing is of course determined by a number of factors.

1. Being comfortable
  2. Looking good (if that is important to you)
  3. Being safe

I, like many here probably ignore #2 ;)

Protection from the elements is a key requirement of your clothing. Be that wind, rain or sun.

I found that long pants did the job well. They were ultra lightweight and so were not hot. But they kept of the chill winds in the mornings and more importantly kept of te sun during the day. I saw lots of people with sunburn.

Are shorts more comfortable? No idea, I rarely wear them except on the beach. I've got great legs for Radio as they say.... And I live in a hot climate. Mostly 20-40 degrees C through the year.

Do you see Desert dwellers wearing shorts? Might be a reason for that.

My walking gear, that suits hot or cold weather tends to be. (more layers for cold of course. fleece and rain jacket on top and rain pants below)

Wide brimmed hat with neck flap.
Long sleeved shirt. Very lightweight tech fabric.
Long pants. Lightweight tech fabric,
And very light gloves. Yes gloves!

The gloves serve two purposes. 1) they keep the sun off my hands. Got really burnt last year without even noticing. Because I use poles, my hands are out in the sun. and 2) I just found it more comfortable using my poles.

I have a video here that shows what I wore and why....... http://robscamino.com/7th-of-may-the-way-to-navarrete/

Scroll down to the Video called 'Avoiding Sunburn'
Thanks for replying Rob. I have seen many of your videos and have found them quite interesting. I also watched your video beside the river (in Bangkok I think). I've bookmarked this link and I'm going to read your blog before I go.
Thanks again.
Marty

Just finished Porto to Santiago in shorts. No bites, no scratches and no sunburn. Pouring with rain for the last day and people with long pants sloshed along. I arrived with dry legs. Shorts are it as far as I am concerned. Each to their own or horses for courses....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just finished Porto to Santiago in shorts. No bites, no scratches and no sunburn. Pouring with rain for the last day and people with long pants sloshed along. I arrived with dry legs. Shorts are it as far as I am concerned. Each to their own or horses for courses....
I'm just back from the Finisterre camino. Wore long trousers all the time.
If it's very hot - I don't get sunburned in 'longs'.
If its wet, the rain doesn't go inside my boots. And they soon dry off.
There were a few very narrow brambly paths on the camino - I didn't get scratched.

I work in exactly the opposite way to Gittaharre, but, as Gittiharre says, "each to their own" :)

From the wording of your question, sounds like you're a shorts wearer. I have been walking since May 5th and mailed my long pants to Santiago from Pamplona. Weather since then has run the gamut. It's mid June and the last few days in Galicia have been cold and rainy. I find that legs are easier to clean than long muddy pants and gators. Lighter, too. I tend to burn, but my legs have gradually tanned and not burned. I have a lightweight dress if I need to dress up but, if you're generally on the Camino, people understand if you are very casual. Once I wore my merino long underwear pants under my shorts, but generally, as long as my core upper body is insulated, I'm fine.
Now this is not for everybody, but I had problems with both pairs of shoes I wore, so have hiked the last several 100 km in sandals with no socks and been great. No blisters, no injuries. If I get muddy or dirty, I simply step in the fountain to rinse off and I'm good to go.

I agree my husband got sun poisoning after a few days walking with shorts while training for camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I always walk in shorts. ... I don't mind wet or cold legs when I walk, but it might be different for you...

I'm with @gittiharre on this.

Those who burn easily, like me (fair and of Scottish descent), need to take precautions. In extreme cases this may be trousers or lightweight leg warmers. As I have varicose veins the pressure hose does the trick for me.

I regularly wear a kilt at home (Scottish descent). However the metal buckles on the hips get in the way of the waist band of the pack. Similarly for the heavy Velcro type fasteners used by the makers of Hiking Kilt.

I bought a Hiking Kilt, replaced the Velcro with much lighter and flexible self-adhering 25 mm round closures. That worked well. And often became a conversation starter.

One other consideration is the camino you're walking. I just finished the San Salvador, and without pants my legs would have been completely lacerated by stinging nettle instead of the partial laceration I have now where the nettles went through the pants.

Each to their own. Long pants vs shorts.
Having hiked the Frances x2, Ingles and going to do Portuguese this fall, I only wear long light weight hiking pants. Got mine from REI.
Prevents, as discussed above, sunburn. Not nice to have bushes brush against bare skin (shorts on).
I saw on Frances a guy who got a nasty case of skin rash from shorts rubbing on his thighs. Nasty.

Long pants keep my legs warm on the cool mornings. My legs do not feel hot when the sun comes up.

Zip legs, convertible pants, will rub on your legs. At zipper or seam. Yes, most can wear such pants and never have a problem. But, why get out on the Camino(s) and find out that great zip off pants rubs your legs?

Cargo pants? Found they are useless for serious Camino hiking. Items in lower pockets will start to rub legs. Give a off balance feeling in your pants.

Go with simple, light weight, good quality, hiking pants.

https://www.rei.com/product/892678/rei-screeline-pants-mens-32-inseam

TIP: Remove the useless belt that comes with the pants and replace it with a Eagle Creek Money Belt. Better belt. Wider. And serves as your money belt.

Long hiking pants can be a bug stopper.
Also can hold heat in legs when stopped or camping by using a "boot blouser"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Paintboy2 , hi again.

As you are finding there are as many answers as there are people answering. As some wit once observed, six economists will arrive at a multitude of solutions to a given situation.

Your job now, as if you didn't already understand it, is to find what works for you, using the age old method of trying out the various options as part of your training.

Good luck. Kia kaha.

I wore knee length 'shorts' on my first stage in July last year. Used Factor 50 and ended up getting a heat rash on my legs. This year in May I wore long light trousers - admittedly it was cooler, but I was glad to have long trousers as I didn't need to keep applying suncream. My friend got her legs burnt. From now on it's long trousers for me. But I also wear long sleeved cotton or linen shirts! - hate to get burnt.

I just finished the coastal route from Porto to Santiago. Had 2 pair of zip off hiking pants, always wore them as shorts and finally just left both sets of the zipped off pants behind to lighten the load as I never felt the need for long pants. Used a high level, water resistant sunscreen and never had a problem. As others said, legs wash easier than pants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also, if you are doing the outer coastal route..I recommend doing the variant espirtual part of it. My favourite part of that route.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back