• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do these stages seem about right?

Rsian

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances
Thanks to all of your kind and informative answers - both to my questions and all the other questions on this forum, I think that I’m about to be as ready I can be, before leaving for Porto on the 4th August

Any thoughts or input would be highly appreciated:)

Day 1:
Walk from Porto to matosinhos
then continue towards vila de conde

Distance: 22-30km
Stay:
-
Day 2:
From Vila de Condo by bus to Rates
Then walk to barcelos

Distance: 16,2 km
Stay:
-
Day 3:
Walk from Barcelos to Vitorino dos piaes

Distance: 21 km
Stay: Casa de Fernanda
-
Day 4:
Walk from Vitorino dos piaes to Ponte de Lima (Maybe on to Rubias)

Distance 11,6 (29,4) km
Stay:
-
Day 5:
Walk from Ponte de Lima to Rubias

Distance: 18.0 km
Stay:
-
Day 6:
Walk from Rubias to Tui

Distance: 20,2 km
Stay:
-
Day 7:
Walk from Tui to O perrino

Distance: 16 km
Stay:
-
Day 8:
Walk from O Perrino to Redondela

Distance: 15,8
Stay:
-
Day 9:
Walk from Redondela to Pontevedra

Distance: 20,8 km
Stay:
-
Day 10:
Walk from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis

Distance: 21,5 km
Stay:
-
Day 11:
Walk from Caldas de Reis to Padron

Distance: 18,9 km
Stay:
-
Day 12
Walk from Padron to Santiago de Compostela

Distance: 25,4 km
Stay:

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Others with more experience will weigh in, but here are my two thoughts.
1) For my del Norte plan for September, I also looked at what the terrain will be. An "easy" 35km is doable, but a "difficult" 35km has me open-minded to get in a bus or taxi if needed.
2) Your day with 31,8 has 20km days on either side. I'd give that an extra good look and think about whether you want to plan for a hangover day in there. (you can skip the hangover itself for a better recovery day...)

I'm looking forward to seeing others' comments on this!
Buen Camino

In 2018 my wife (70) and her 2 friends (75 and 66) asked me to accompany them on the CP from Porto (I was 72 and a 3x veteran of the CF and CP.) We walked the entire distance in about 12 days, including 2-night rest in Ponte de Lima. I don't know your age and physical condition. I don't know if you'll use backpack transfer service (my wife and her friends did.) However, if you're in good physical shape, you should have no problem complete your itinerary. My only concern for you is your longer days of roughly 26 and 32 kilometers. Perhaps you can rearrange your itinerary so that those longer days can be shortened. Bom caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have time I highly recommend that you walk along the river from the Cathedral, then up the coast to Matosinhos.
As Trecile says above, definitely, the walk down the river to the sea is BEAUTIFUL, and then up the coast to Matosinhos and all the restaurants with grilled fish in Leixoes.

Tui to Redondela can be tricky, mind you, it can be tough on a hot day, crossing Porriño and Mos involves quite a lot of tarmac. If you are short of days, you might try to do

Tui-Mos
Mos-Pontevedra

That would be more balanced than Tui-Redondela, and then Redondela-Pontevedra, in my experience.

Whatever you do, buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just be aware that to qualify for the compostela you have to walk the last 100km, so if you don't think that day from Tui is really feasible then I think you might need to rethink.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like everyone's suggestions. 30k would be a killer for me. Here's what I did after Fernanda's, days 4-7, which worked well for me:

-Albergue O Conforto at Paredes de Coura/Labruja (this way you've got the big climb early the next day, when it's cooler and you're fresh) (approx. 22k)
-Alb. Quinta Estrada Romana in Cerdal (20k)
-Alb. Senda Sur in Porriño (26k)

Thanks to all of your kind and informative answers - both to my questions and all the other questions on this forum, I think that I’m about to be as ready I can be, before leaving for Porto on the 4th August

Day 1:

Stay:
-
Day 2:
Then walk to barcelos

Stay:
-
Day 3:

-
Day 4:

Distance 11,6 (29,4) km
Stay:
-
Day 5:

Stay:
-
Day 6:
Walk from Rubias to Tui

Stay:
-
Day 7:

Stay:
-
Day 8:

Stay:
-
Day 9:

Stay:
-
Day 10:

Stay:
-
Day 11:

Stay:
-
Day 12

Stay:
The right stages are the stages that feel right for you. Walk and let things unfold. I have never walked on the coast in summer so I don't know if you have to book everything in advance or if you have booked some places, but others can advise better about that. Be careful of the heat.

Last edited:
As Trecile says above, definitely, the walk down the river to the sea is BEAUTIFUL, and then up the coast to Matosinhos and all the restaurants with grilled fish in Leixoes.

Tui to Redondela can be tricky, mind you, it can be tough on a hot day, crossing Porriño and Mos involves quite a lot of tarmac. If you are short of days, you might try to do

Tui-Mos
Mos-Pontevedra

That would be more balanced than Tui-Redondela, and then Redondela-Pontevedra, in my experience.

Whatever you do, buen camino!

I would second that advice, did the same thing last month.

Mos is small, but lovely with a great municipal alberque and a v good local restaurant.

On you other stages, here's some advice:

Day 2:

I'm pretty sure there is no direct bus from Vila do Conde to Rates.

There's a regular bus to Povoa de Varzim and from Povoa it looks like there's 4 buses a day to Rates

Day 3:

Make sure to have a reservation for Casa De Fernanda - she's very popular for good reason, the best place I stayed, and if you just turn up it is unlikely you will find a bed

Day 4:

When you leave Vitorino dos Piaes , I would only recommend walking to Ponte De Lima or perhaps Labruja - it's not a good idea to stretch that day to continue to Rubaies.

After Ponte De Lima (between Labruja and Rubaies) you have a tough uphill stretch on a rocky track which is hard going (I skipped this day due to injury). Everyone I met in Rubaies found that section the toughest of the camino.

Day 10:

If you have time, I would really recommend the variante espiritual after Pontevedra

Day 10 Pontevedra to Armentera, (municipal alberque, takes phone bookings, ring ahead)
Day 11 Armentera to Vilanueva De Arosa,
Day 12 boat to Pontecesures and walk to Santiago (depends on boat time, but a long day walking)
or
Day 12 boat to Pontecesures and walk to Milladoiro
Day 13 stroll from Milladoiro to Santiago

(I did the above with a night in Milladoiro - municpal alberque there is outstanding)

If you need more details on this, have a look under my name and you'll find previous posts where I give a lot more detail about the route, boats, phone numbers, etc etc

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Day 1:

Stay:
-
Day 2:
Then walk to barcelos

Stay:
-
Day 3:

-
Day 4:

Distance 11,6 (29,4) km
Stay:
-
Day 5:

Stay:
-
Day 6:
Walk from Rubias to Tui

Stay:
-
Day 7:

Stay:
-
Day 8:

Stay:
-
Day 9:

Stay:
-
Day 10:

Stay:
-
Day 11:

Stay:
-
Day 12

Stay:
I'm just wondering why you are getting the bus to Rates or am I missing something. You can easily walk over from the littoral to the central at a couple of points on the second day from Vila de Conde. Its actually a nice walk.

Day 1:

Stay:
-
Day 2:
Then walk to barcelos

Stay:
-
Day 3:

-
Day 4:

Distance 11,6 (29,4) km
Stay:
-
Day 5:

Stay:
-
Day 6:
Walk from Rubias to Tui

Stay:
-
Day 7:

Stay:
-
Day 8:

Stay:
-
Day 9:

Stay:
-
Day 10:

Stay:
-
Day 11:

Stay:
-
Day 12

Stay:
cant comment on your first stages, but once into Spain (Tui), it looks about right.

€60,-
We are walking the CP in October and hope to stay at Casa da Fernanda. The only way that I can find to make a reservation is by calling, but I don’t have international service. Is there a WhatsApp number or email address? Thanks!
Hi. They don't appear to have a email address only phone number but in October you will be fine if you contact them on your first or second day. We walked in September last year and May this year with no problem getting accommodation anywhere. It only got busy when we entered Spain. Daniel

Hi. They don't appear to have a email address only phone number but in October you will be fine if you contact them on your first or second day. We walked in September last year and May this year with no problem getting accommodation anywhere. It only got busy when we entered Spain. Daniel
Thanks Daniel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, I had forgotten about Skype. We used to use it often when we lived abroad. Mostly use WhatsApp now as so many people have it.
P.s I tried just now but they don't appear to use WhatsApp. Hopefully all will work out for you guys. A few of us will be walking somewhere on the Camino this October but have yet to decide on a route. I walked the San Salvador in August from Leon all by my lonesome and it was mind blowing. Anyhow Buen Camino and may your Gods go with you.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back